Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Support ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 10:58 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Started DIY. After a year or two went full support.
That was 15 years.

The real advantage for me, besides being able to relax between sessions, is you can concentrate on your driving instead of car needs. After all, I'm at the track to drive, not to wrench, sweat and swear.
Plus Eurosport has a Data coach, Dave Redszus, every weekend. (If they didn't, I'd still have the time between sessions to track down Procoach!) Most of us can be found in the trailer looking at video and graphs, when we're not on track.
What a difference that has made in my times. That's even a better amenity than Swedish Fish.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:07 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I've always been DIY - even back when I ventured into pro racing (but on 2 wheels, not 4.)

I ponied up for a full support weekend a few months ago.... and have to say, it'd be hard to go back.

My cars *generally* don't need much once I"m at the track - I usually spend quite a many hours prepping it and going over it ahead of time. But I have to say, the convenience of...
  • Having the car warmed up and ready before each session
  • Having my gear set out, aired/dried out, and ready
  • If ANYTHING felt "off" on the car, being able to hop out after a session and (paraphrased) say, "Somebody should fix that..." and return to the trailer to relax
  • Knowing the car is truly READY before each session... oil checked, fuel filled, tires set
  • Someone going over all the crucial bits every night, re nut/bolt'ing everything, looking it over
  • Best part: NOT HAVING TO PACK UP AT THE END OF THE WEEKEND...
...Did I mention, not having to pack up after a long weekend?

... makes it TOTALLY worth it. It made what would've been an exhausting weekend much more relaxing. Just show up, drive, and relax. It helps to have an awesome crew. Make friends with all the techs.... they're the ones who take care of you out there.

I'll say that it IS expensive. Couple hundred bucks a day for the full nice experience. But I did a DIY weekend a few weeks after and MAN it sucked. Sucked not having a cozy trailer to relax in, sucked not having golf carts and other pit transport at the ready, sucked not having food ready to go, sucked having to go buy gas every other session.....

If I could work it into the budget, I wouldn't even consider going without it now. I'd skip a weekend or two if it meant the others would have support.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:02 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

"Support" I experience is all over the map. What kind of service is available? It seems like there is everything from car transport and they leave you alone, to 95% mechanical support (thats the guys with skills but no personality), to belting you in car and blow drying your helmet between sessions. There is get your own lunch at the track shack to BBQ salmon with capers in a hospitality area! As far as trackside repair that is part of their job if you have bought that level of service but crews tends to be so nice as to go that extra mile regardless of extra compensation. By the end of the weekend I think of crew as friends. Changing out a starter motor is one thing but the hours replacing a steering rack might be another. Are you guys tipping those guys extra when you think the repair is more daunting? I actually appreciate the more business oriented support where the crew chief will tell you swapping that motor is going to be an extra $XXX. That establishes that professional boundary. No feelings are hurt that way too.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:45 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodymotion Inc.
We have Swedish fish. Just sayin. ;-)
Swedish fish and splitters. And on certain weekends I "eat" both in large quantities!
Old 06-28-2019, 02:01 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacked 987
Couple hundred bucks a day for the full nice experience.
Out here in sunny Northern California support is like $700 a day and that does not include data and video analysis from a pro.....
Old 06-28-2019, 02:02 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If all shops that support PCA race weekends don't immediately start shoveling out Swedish Fish at all events, this thread will not have accomplished its goal. It's up to you shops, Costco runs RIGHT NOW! Since I pay for support for all my PCA racing (but not for my endurance racing-yeah, figure that out!) its now my expectation that I get all the reds at every event....One fish Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish....
Old 06-28-2019, 03:16 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Swedish fish and splitters. And on certain weekends I "eat" both in large quantities!

Todd is on Post Pole today!!!!!

Old 06-28-2019, 03:26 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Out here in sunny Northern California support is like $700 a day and that does not include data and video analysis from a pro.....
That's in range to what we see from bigger, better-credentialed shops here in the Midwest. $850/day seems to be the going rate for shops that have some Pro experience.

Smaller, more local shops can be done for less.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:57 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Locally in Utah one of the shops provides it for $650 per day. They include a crew chief, fuel, a decent lunch, car cleanup, repair labor and parts sourcing as required, and a trackside garage spot (which costs $125). Parts costs would be added if required. They do a la carte adds for full car setup, pre+post-race inspections, pro coaching, and car or tire transport/storage between events.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:43 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by katmeho
If all shops that support PCA race weekends don't immediately start shoveling out Swedish Fish at all events, this thread will not have accomplished its goal...
If you shops see a guy laughing I'm seeing the Swedish fish at your paddock and know we both read this thread.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:06 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
If you shops see a guy laughing I'm seeing the Swedish fish at your paddock and know we both read this thread.
At NJMP I am going around the paddock on a swedish fish inspection and will be reporting back!
Old 06-28-2019, 09:08 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Why does it matter what language the fish speaks?
Old 06-28-2019, 09:49 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Why does it matter what language the fish speaks?
Idk, Danish fish are too salty

I've already informed Cody, I feel ripped off.. We only had trail mix.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

https://nuts.com/chocolatessweets/gu...SABEgK9i_D_BwE

30 lb bag, $120...
Old 07-01-2019, 03:59 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

I make one post about Swedish fish and now they are following me all over the internet!

Quick Reply: Race Support ?