Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Support ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 09:13 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I think it's pretty simple. If you can afford track support do it. And the more complicated the car the more you need it.
The difference between what's needed for my Cup and my E stock 911 is night and day.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:16 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
I think it's pretty simple. If you can afford track support do it. And the more complicated the car the more you need it.
The difference between what's needed for my Cup and my E stock 911 is night and day.
Just have to say, I just read your entire sig and laughed out loud.... Only 8 time National DE champ?
Old 06-27-2019, 09:29 AM
will968
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

You really have to stay focused on a DIY weekend. Socializing too much between sessions can get you behind on what's needed. The repairs don't bother me so much, it's all the running for ice and tire changing etc. Helps to paddock with a friend you can share resources with.
If I could afford it, I'd go with something halfway.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:34 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,883 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Just have to say, I just read your entire sig and laughed out loud.... Only 8 time National DE champ?
Don't f*@k with Scott! He has the proof!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-27-2019, 10:15 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 542 Likes on 287 Posts

Jeff...it all comes down to cost vs. value - and you spent the entire weekend and days after touting the value of having Cody there with you.

Nadine and I have this conversation each race. We love the Dawe's guys and love the fact that they keep me on track, but the cost is way more than we really should be spending.. But....This past weekend I threw a fan belt which ended a race. If I was on my own, I may never have diagnosed it - or had a replacement. They put on a new belt, charged the battery and CHECKED OUT EVERYTHING before I was allowed to go back out. Turns out also I had wired the alternator light wrong (I did all the build of the car myself except the engine/trans and fab work) Had I been by myself, I may have figured out the belt (unlikely), and if I found a replacement, could have put it on..but would never have figured out the light, and what if I had overheated the engine? How would I know? They checked it out in ways I couldn't and Kevin installed a new light wired correctly.

And yes, bleed the brakes each night, swap tires, clean up the car, and of course leaning on Peter Dawe for his zillion years of set up expertise. We made MAJOR set up changes and I picked up over 3 seconds by weekends end. Not to mention we really like these guys and consider them friends too...and I learn something in every conversation. Do they do the catered lunches, big rig, a/c in the driver changing room/lounge and all? No - very grassrootsy. But...I can focus on racing. Nadine does my data and coaching. Without her, and without the crew doing all the work, I'd be more exhausted and never have picked up the time...

Jeff....Think of the money you blew on all the parts you bought on your build to 'try' and ended up chucking. Easily a couple years worth of support! lol....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Last edited by NaroEscape; 06-27-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:27 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
I . And the more complicated the car the more you need it.
What do you mean? Do you mean the cup breaks more or needs more service like brakes don't last or cup more adjustable so you are dinking with suspension to dial in for each track? I'm just curious because I race a set it and forget it car.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:31 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Well, he has insurance and a laptimer.
The following users liked this post:
Paul Solk (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 10:40 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Default racing without some level of support is impossible.....

I guess you can do it yourself if:
  1. you have a reliable and proactively maintained car
  2. you are experienced diagnosing (proactively) and fixing items on track
  3. you don't run enduros (that require refueling)
  4. you are OK canceling the weekend if a mechanical issue comes up that you cant handle
  5. are fit enough to handle the work on top of driving duties
adding support, whether it is a spouse to full pro team with luxury hauler make things easier, improves your chances of running all sessions and better results (through being solely focused on driving)
in some cases pro support is cheaper than having a spouse help out...

I drive a well maintained 996 cup but still some level of support is needed as my back isnt great, I am not mechanically inclined and I run enduros that require refueling.

I have used different levels of support all the way from pro shop, my regular shop mechanic with an additional mechanic to a buddy whose car wasn't ready and came out anyhow to help me.
My current model is that I use a buddy/regular shop mechanic team approach for nearby races that are just the raceweekend and I use pro support for longer events (eg david murray + raceweekend).

I control costs by towing my car instead paying for transport. (yes I am jealous at the folks that jump in the rental after then enduro to hustle to airport whilst I know I will be towing/sleeping for the next 24 hours)
Old 06-27-2019, 10:44 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,359 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Don't f*@k with Scott! He has the proof!
Ahem! I don't want to brag or anything but I did win my DE back in 2016.

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Well, he has insurance and a laptimer.
Quite frankly if you have a laptimer and insurance you do not need race support. If there is a problem with the car you can just throw it into the wall and insurance will pay for everything.
The following 2 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
ajcjr (06-27-2019), Paul Solk (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 12:18 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 101 Posts

+1 for support if you can make the economics work. Apart from the camaraderie "under the tent" which is great, having support makes the weekend just much more enjoyable for me personally. Problems arise and they get sorted. The car is checked after every session and I just get in and drive. Would be difficult for me to imagine doing a race weekend solo at this point.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:27 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,359 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by brownan
+1 for support if you can make the economics work. Apart from the camaraderie "under the tent" which is great, having support makes the weekend just much more enjoyable for me personally. Problems arise and they get sorted. The car is checked after every session and I just get in and drive. Would be difficult for me to imagine doing a race weekend solo at this point.
The only problem is sometimes a new addition to the team might not work out.

Case in point - without naming any names we have this new guy who drives a silver Cayman, let's call him "Tony UPS" and I just can't stand him. What do you do? He is eating all the swedish fish and this is a big problem because I view them as mine.

Maybe Bodymotion will pick him up. There's always hope.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:39 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Old 06-27-2019, 12:46 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
The only problem is sometimes a new addition to the team might not work out.

Case in point - without naming any names we have this new guy who drives a silver Cayman, let's call him "Tony UPS" and I just can't stand him. What do you do? He is eating all the swedish fish and this is a big problem because I view them as mine.

Maybe Bodymotion will pick him up. There's always hope.
You jest but I have seen drivers "voted off the island" before if they just couldn't play nice with others.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:02 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 542 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
You jest but I have seen drivers "voted off the island" before if they just couldn't play nice with others.
I guess I should be nicer to you huh Scott? 😱
i like our Island...lol
Old 06-27-2019, 01:03 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
I guess I should be nicer to you huh Scott? ��
You gave me beer. You've got a safe card.

Quick Reply: Race Support ?