Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 01:21 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 770 Likes on 384 Posts
Default Carbotech Brake Pads

We've been really impressed with the Carbotech pads on our race car. We tried Pagid once - not good on our car. So we've been using Hawk DTC-70 front, DTC-60 rear for years with good results.

We took on Carbotech about a year ago and they insisted on giving us a set to try: XP12 front, XP10 rear. They felt EXACTLY like the Hawks, which I found intersting since these are middle of the aggressive scale for Carbotech, but 70/60 is pretty much the top for Hawk.

So this past weekend at the VIR race, I tried out more agressive pads - XP20 front, XP12 rear. I was really impressed. The guys at Carbotech like to say "with our pads, YOU dictate how you brake, not the pads" meaning you get a lot better feel in brake modulation and don't have to adjust your braking to how the pad is going to react. And honestly, I think they're right. I never questioned the braking. More pressure, more bite. Not tons of pedal travel or anything, but enough to make you feel like you're controling the braking and can modulate as needed.

And remember, we don't have any ABS or anything to help, so it's all pedal feel.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Yes, we carry Pagid, PFC and Hawk. But after seeing so many SCCA champions in all classes using Carbotech we decided to start carrying them, and I'm glad we did.

Let me know if we can help you with anything.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 06-25-2019, 02:02 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,006 Likes on 601 Posts

Great reminder that it's important to try new things. I think a lot of people fall into the rut of taking other people's word on what's best. Brakes pads are not one compound works for all.

Maybe it's time for me to try something new....
Old 06-25-2019, 02:28 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

I've been using XP12s on the front of my Mini for years--best pad I've used and the dust doesn't weld itself to your wheels if/when it gets wet.

I order the pads from Mike Puskar Jr. at Carbotech over the phone--he's from a racing family and knows his s#!t....I get them made with all outer backing plates (the inners have the ears for the brake sensors) so I can use them on both inside and outside of the caliper w/o the ear hitting the rotor hat. No extra charge for the custom order

And, there's a PCA discount on top of it all! What a country!

Gary
Old 06-25-2019, 02:33 PM
drive418
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
We've been really impressed with the Carbotech pads on our race car. We tried Pagid once - not good on our car. So we've been using Hawk DTC-70 front, DTC-60 rear for years with good results.

We took on Carbotech about a year ago and they insisted on giving us a set to try: XP12 front, XP10 rear. They felt EXACTLY like the Hawks, which I found intersting since these are middle of the aggressive scale for Carbotech, but 70/60 is pretty much the top for Hawk.

So this past weekend at the VIR race, I tried out more agressive pads - XP20 front, XP12 rear. I was really impressed. The guys at Carbotech like to say "with our pads, YOU dictate how you brake, not the pads" meaning you get a lot better feel in brake modulation and don't have to adjust your braking to how the pad is going to react. And honestly, I think they're right. I never questioned the braking. More pressure, more bite. Not tons of pedal travel or anything, but enough to make you feel like you're controling the braking and can modulate as needed.

And remember, we don't have any ABS or anything to help, so it's all pedal feel.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Yes, we carry Pagid, PFC and Hawk. But after seeing so many SCCA champions in all classes using Carbotech we decided to start carrying them, and I'm glad we did.

Let me know if we can help you with anything.
LOVE the XP12 front/XP10 rear set up on my SP3 car. Have been using them for almost 8 years.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:04 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gbuff
I've been using XP12s on the front of my Mini for years--best pad I've used and the dust doesn't weld itself to your wheels if/when it gets wet.

I order the pads from Mike Puskar Jr. at Carbotech over the phone--he's from a racing family and knows his s#!t....I get them made with all outer backing plates (the inners have the ears for the brake sensors) so I can use them on both inside and outside of the caliper w/o the ear hitting the rotor hat. No extra charge for the custom order

And, there's a PCA discount on top of it all! What a country!

Gary
yeah...Mike and I have discussed the fact that they sell direct and not always support their dealers. They're trying to get away from direct sales, but there's such a history that its tough.

I would be happy to have your business, but understand if you want to keep dealing direct.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:52 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
yeah...Mike and I have discussed the fact that they sell direct and not always support their dealers. They're trying to get away from direct sales, but there's such a history that its tough.

I would be happy to have your business, but understand if you want to keep dealing direct.
Bob, didn't know if you (or anyone else for that matter) would/could handle a custom order for a Mini Cooper fitment, so I've been dealing direct.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:01 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

30 years ago Larry from Carbotech was making brake pads for me. Sent him my back plates. .... What ever compound you wanted.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:41 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gbuff
Bob, didn't know if you (or anyone else for that matter) would/could handle a custom order for a Mini Cooper fitment, so I've been dealing direct.
No worries. But yes we can, and I have a special in becuase I'm only 15 minutes away from them. I'm over there a lot....if fact I'll be there tomorrow picking up some pads and returning their tent and a few banners I borrowed for an SCCA event.

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
30 years ago Larry from Carbotech was making brake pads for me. Sent him my back plates. .... What ever compound you wanted.
They still do that. A lot...

Quick Reply: Carbotech Brake Pads