Sponsored by:

Nascar at Sonoma

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 01:19 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts
Default Nascar at Sonoma

I noticed the Nascar guys were running the "long" track this year. (same as we run at the DE's)

Curious if anyone knows what kind of times they were averaging.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:36 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

In the televised practice session I saw 1:37 flats, not sure about qualifying.

I'm bummed they got to run the full/normal configuration and we had to run the IndyCar chicane and long T7 in the SRO races... I guess it adds another passing zone but it's definitely boring (and it adds a place they have to monitor track limits).

-mike
Old 06-24-2019, 04:41 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Does the “long track” include the T6 carousel or will they use the chute to T7?
Old 06-24-2019, 06:30 PM
adi_d
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

They ran the full configuration with the carousel and ran 1:33 in qualifying. Those times are comparable to the GT3R cars and a little faster than my 1:44 in a 997.2 GT3 !

If you look at their telemetry the cornering speed is actually the same if not lower than let's say my car, but their straight line speed is crazy...entry into T10 (before they brake obviously) was over 140mph. The other downside is that those cars have no aero and are heavy, so rely on mechanical grip, which means the tires are done after 15 laps. Was fun seeing them in action.
The following users liked this post:
RDCR (06-25-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 09:18 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by adi_d
They ran the full configuration with the carousel and ran 1:33 in qualifying. Those times are comparable to the GT3R cars and a little faster than my 1:44 in a 997.2 GT3 !

If you look at their telemetry the cornering speed is actually the same if not lower than let's say my car, but their straight line speed is crazy...entry into T10 (before they brake obviously) was over 140mph. The other downside is that those cars have no aero and are heavy, so rely on mechanical grip, which means the tires are done after 15 laps. Was fun seeing them in action.
A 44 in a GT3 is not a slouch time there whatsoever / especially if on street tires
Old 06-24-2019, 10:21 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

Got to be careful comparing lap times at Sears Point. I have a lot of experience there in that configuration. We have had PCA Club races there as well as many PRC races.

Those Cup cars are super heavy, have skinny tires and lots of horsepower. You are kidding yourself if you think that they don't have sophisticated suspensions and aero.

I am not particularly impressed by a 1:44 in a GT3 variant-- I have seen plenty of newer factory street car iron run there. Those cars have a lot of performance, and some mods make them even faster. And some of those street car tires now are nearly as fast, or just as fast as some slicks.

During the pre-race intro, Jaws made it clear that he feels that Sears Point is the most difficult road course in the US. He may be right.

I once attended the Winston Cup Friday-- back about 15 years ago. I sat in the turn 7 stands with a buddy that also has experience there. He lives about 10 minutes from the track. We watched quali and could guess eventual lap times within a third of a second or less after just watching a few cars run down the bypass and turn 'round and head for home. We could distinguish between the talented drivers, the ones that were really trying hard, the not as good ones, and the ones that just did not care.

Kudos to them for using the carousel-- hopefully the fans and teams enjoyed it.

But you have to be very, very careful making lap time comparisons there.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:38 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Got to be careful comparing lap times at Sears Point. I have a lot of experience there in that configuration. We have had PCA Club races there as well as many PRC races.

Those Cup cars are super heavy, have skinny tires and lots of horsepower. You are kidding yourself if you think that they don't have sophisticated suspensions and aero.

I am not particularly impressed by a 1:44 in a GT3 variant-- I have seen plenty of newer factory street car iron run there. Those cars have a lot of performance, and some mods make them even faster. And some of those street car tires now are nearly as fast, or just as fast as some slicks.

During the pre-race intro, Jaws made it clear that he feels that Sears Point is the most difficult road course in the US. He may be right.

I once attended the Winston Cup Friday-- back about 15 years ago. I sat in the turn 7 stands with a buddy that also has experience there. He lives about 10 minutes from the track. We watched quali and could guess eventual lap times within a third of a second or less after just watching a few cars run down the bypass and turn 'round and head for home. We could distinguish between the talented drivers, the ones that were really trying hard, the not as good ones, and the ones that just did not care.

Kudos to them for using the carousel-- hopefully the fans and teams enjoyed it.

But you have to be very, very careful making lap time comparisons there.

Yes I have the spec Boxster lap record there so I'm aware. A 44 is hustling for a DE car, most guys even in the fancy new McLarens and GT cars don't do that let alone a 997.2
RDCR (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 01:11 AM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Pole was Larson at a 1:34.784. I think my best in a 991.1 Cup on Pirelli's was 1:35 (only ran one test day). GT3 and GTE spec times on the full course are a good bit quicker, but that's to be expected. :-)

I tested a NASCAR Cup car last year on a little infield road course and the thought of getting it to run a 1:34 at Sonoma gives me the shivers... that's wicked fast for that car.

-mike
RDCR (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 04:14 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Good! That’s the only config of Sears this should be used. The T9 chicane in an abomination for cars. It was created for motorcycle safety in AMA (and then. AFM) races because the air fence wasn’t doing much when people would crash into T10 and their trajectory was the wall outside. The chicane slowed down the approach speed and angle of attack.

34’s in a nascar is incredible and props to those guys.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:28 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by adi_d
If you look at their telemetry the cornering speed is actually the same if not lower than let's say my car,
I noticed that as well which is why I was wondering what their overall times were. The network kept showing frontal shots of different cars getting a little sideways after going over the exit curb at 10 into the dirt. Just watching that was giving me the "******"
Old 06-25-2019, 12:09 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

As has been said, top tier NASCAR cup cars are very heavy but run 750-850 hp. They only use 15" diameter wheels so their brake rotors are pretty small. That said, they are extremely thick and usually use 6 piston monobloc calipers with 3-4 air ducts per corner. They also have extremely sophisticated suspensions with 4 way remote reservoir custom valves dampers in addition to all the bars and levers that help locate the rear axle. There is a lot more to them than meets the eye
Old 06-25-2019, 12:34 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
As has been said, top tier NASCAR cup cars are very heavy but run 750-850 hp. They only use 15" diameter wheels so their brake rotors are pretty small. That said, they are extremely thick and usually use 6 piston monobloc calipers with 3-4 air ducts per corner. They also have extremely sophisticated suspensions with 4 way remote reservoir custom valves dampers in addition to all the bars and levers that help locate the rear axle. There is a lot more to them than meets the eye
Yes, at least they had the good sense to remove the word stock from the description of the cutaway version at Daytona. That elicited a lot of chuckles.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:45 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Yes, I really enjoyed watching the good ol' boys running around on the configuration I race on. My personal best in my GTL car (think air-cooled PCA GT4) is 1:39.2. That was with ~270 HP at the wheels and about 2380 lbs with me in it. If I looked at my data compared to what they showed during the race, I am generally faster in the corners but much slower everywhere else. For example, I saw 126 MPH just before braking for turn 10 and my speed dropped to 110 MPH. The NASCAR data I saw showed they hit 140 MPH before the corner and slowed to 103 MPH through it.

Fun stuff!

Quick Reply: Nascar at Sonoma