Sponsored by:

decibel meter app

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 12:24 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts
Default decibel meter app

Is there a reliable decibel meter app for Android phone?

After reading a thread that included information about Mont Tremblant and sound restrictions and how it is monitored. I thought I better check, as I recently signed up for a DE at a track with a noise restriction so, I decide to download an app to test my street driven 996 with Tubi Mufflers.

The first app I choose, the sound went to 86dB. (Sound Meter)
I downloaded a second app, it went to 78db. (Sound Detector 2019)
Third app went to 85dB (Decibel Noise Detector) and forth went to 80dB (MoSoundMeter).
With the big range, I concluded you get what you pay for, in this case free.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
David
Old 06-17-2019, 02:19 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Hopefully Mont Tremblant uses MoSoundMeter of SoundDetector
Old 06-17-2019, 03:30 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

Testing on your own will give you directional feedback, but may or may not give you the precision you want (i.e. "will my car pass sound at Tremblant?") Some things to keep in mind:
- Most tracks who test for sound, do so "50 ft from trackside." Usually this means someone testing from the pits or a flag station. Obviously full throttle drive-by conditions (not testing in your driveway, etc.)
- There are number of other factors that an influence sound propagation like humidity, cloud cover, how many trees are nearby, etc. that it's unfortunately hard to do a definitive test except at the track.

Last fall I took my open exhaust car to Thompson Raceway which has a 103 db limit. To my surprise it failed at 107 db. Overcast Fall day, no leaves on trees. I managed to rig something up to pass for the day. In May I took the same car to Thompson again. No changes to the car. No issues this time. I had brought a turndown and a baffle in case I needed them - didn't use them.

If you are able to do a real drive-by test with someone monitoring the phone app, it might give you a good idea at least. If you're within a few decibels of the limit, it may make sense to have some turndowns or other bolt ons handy so you don't go to Canada just to park it in case it's too loud.

Scott
Old 06-17-2019, 04:47 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stownsen914
Testing on your own will give you directional feedback, but may or may not give you the precision you want (i.e. "will my car pass sound at Tremblant?") Some things to keep in mind:
- Most tracks who test for sound, do so "50 ft from trackside." Usually this means someone testing from the pits or a flag station. Obviously full throttle drive-by conditions (not testing in your driveway, etc.)
- There are number of other factors that an influence sound propagation like humidity, cloud cover, how many trees are nearby, etc. that it's unfortunately hard to do a definitive test except at the track.

Last fall I took my open exhaust car to Thompson Raceway which has a 103 db limit. To my surprise it failed at 107 db. Overcast Fall day, no leaves on trees. I managed to rig something up to pass for the day. In May I took the same car to Thompson again. No changes to the car. No issues this time. I had brought a turndown and a baffle in case I needed them - didn't use them.

If you are able to do a real drive-by test with someone monitoring the phone app, it might give you a good idea at least. If you're within a few decibels of the limit, it may make sense to have some turndowns or other bolt ons handy so you don't go to Canada just to park it in case it's too loud.

Scott
Thank Scott
The determining factors you mentioned, I had not considered.
Thinking about it now, just the sound bouncing off the house would change the reading.
I mentioned Mont Tremblant, because that was the track mentioned in the thread.
But I signed up for a DE at Lime Rock, with a 88dB limit. So that is why I asked about a meter app
What exactly are turn downs?
Old 06-17-2019, 05:22 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

Turndowns are just short curved pipes that you can clamp on the end of your existing exhaust. Depending of course on how it's configured, whether your exhaust has tips on it, etc. Many people just buy some cheap ones from Summit Racing or similar and clamp them on. Usually you either direct the opening of the turndown away from wherever they are measuring, or point them down at the ground. Here's a thread on another forum that discusses a few different options => http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...oss-power.html
Old 06-17-2019, 05:26 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stownsen914
Turndowns are just short curved pipes that you can clamp on the end of your existing exhaust. Depending of course on how it's configured, whether your exhaust has tips on it, etc. Many people just buy some cheap ones from Summit Racing or similar and clamp them on. Usually you either direct the opening of the turndown away from wherever they are measuring, or point them down at the ground. Here's a thread on another forum that discusses a few different options => http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...oss-power.html
Got it, thank you.
I thought that was what they were.
Good old school item

Quick Reply: decibel meter app