Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chillout Cooling Systems now in stock at Competition Motorsport

Old 06-27-2019, 08:14 AM
kristap
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You wouldn't need the shirt attached. When I did idle the car to give the system a head start on cooling, I didn't attach the shirt - was busy with the car and checklists.

Once the system is at or close to target temp, the draw is 15-18a. (note: I myself didn't put a ammeter on it)
Old 06-27-2019, 08:54 AM
LuigiVampa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

When I saw this at the LRP race (where it wasn't needed at all) I really wanted it to work.

I have spoken with a PCA racer who had one installed in his cup car and he stated that there are still a bunch of bugs in it.

He had to run thicker gauge wire to account for the draw and it popped off a few times. Also did not cool effectively later in long races.

I love the idea but think they just need to get it working a little better.

Lastly, there is always water that leaks when you uncouple - how does that work with the anti-freeze stuff?
Old 06-27-2019, 06:55 PM
kristap
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm simply a customer and pretty happy with it. Beats managing ice and water for 20m of chilling with a cool shirt. The owner is the developer/engineer & was both helpful and friendly when I called with a question. It's not perfect but they're trying to improve. Received an email from them, they're sending new units (V2) to everyone and taking back the original units. No cost to us.

The wire gauge was an interesting issue. Short version, my words: they'd spec'd heavier wire but the mfr supplied lighter gauge with thicker sheathing. Missed in QA because they didn't test long runs like if the system were mounted 12' away. My system is in cockpit and it hasn't popped the 30a fuse (temp solution).

The fluid is pretty light, diluted. I didn't see any residue on my nomex or suit. Small traces at the unit itself from uncoupling. No leaks to speak of.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:08 PM
CMS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chillout Systems' V2 upgrade on all Quantum units (including those currently in customers' hands) addresses a few of the questions and observations in this thread, including:
  • Self restarting inverter: When you have a voltage drop, as a safety function, the system automatically shuts down the compressor. On the previous version, one had to toggle the on/off switch to restart; in V2, the system self restarts.
  • Bigger fans that spin 1500 rpm faster than the current ones to draw heat out faster.
  • Sixth Gear: The sixth gear on the compressor used to engage at ambient temps above 120F. Now this gear engages at lower ambient temps so the system runs cooler and faster.
  • Lower amp draw: draw at full speed at ambient 120F is 28A max, with 16-22A RMS at 95F ambient with an inline fan and naca ducting. V2 should see 15-19A under the same conditions.
  • Flow sensor: If the hose is not properly connected to the shirt, there will be no flow. V2 adds an error code to alert you that your shirt is not connected properly.
  • Wiring Harness: Upgrading the original 12-gauge harnesses to 8-gauge. This makes the biggest difference in the performance of the Chillout unit.
Chillout Systems are communicating with IMSA to get the system approved for use in their series, as it is not an open-air freon system. Also, Chillout Systems has found ways to pre-cool the system using loops and also keep the system cooler from heat soak. This info will be published on our website as soon as it's available.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:11 PM
Plavan
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have one in my NP01. I made my own harness with the appropriate gauge wire. The inside of the NP01 gets 130 degrees. I tried it with no ducting from the outside and it only got to the low 70 degrees. While it still felt great, there is much improvement once you duct cooler outside air to it. I'm awaiting V2 (for free). I have to say the coolshirt is by far the best I have ever used. So much more tubing. I got out of the car in 100+ ambient (while only cooling to 70 degrees) not sweaty after 25 min. Not dealing with ice is nice.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:26 PM
CMS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those who don't need an SFI-rated shirt, Chillout has introduced a short-sleeve Club Series cooling shirt that is absolutely awesome. They place the tubing between two lightweight layers of soft stretch fabric that holds it closer to the body, making the shirt smoother and more comfortable as well as better at transferring heat. They work with either the Chillout system or a regular ice water based system like Coolshirt, just need to choose the right connectors. You can check out the new Chillout Club Series shirt HERE, and of course PM us for special RL pricing!

Chillout Club Series in Navy and Gray

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: