Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Chillout Cooling Systems now in stock at Competition Motorsport (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1147820-chillout-cooling-systems-now-in-stock-at-competition-motorsport.html)

CMS 06-14-2019 04:04 PM

Chillout Cooling Systems now in stock at Competition Motorsport

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1b32f67590.png

Chillout Systems Quantum Cooler - starting at $2,200
Finally! No more buying bags of ice and gallons of water for your driver cooling!
The Chillout Systems Quantum Cooler is the most powerful, portable, iceless cooling system ever designed for auto-racing.
Requiring no ice or water, this driver cooling system is completely maintenance-free, running solely off a rotary micro-compressor that is as powerful as other compressors 5 times its size!
Pumping Coolant Formula at a rate of 20 liters per minute at 16 psi through specially designed cooling apparel, this system is electronically limited to cool to 40º Fahrenheit while being capable of cooling much lower than that.
The Chillout Systems Quantum Cooler is simple to use while offering more customizable features than ever before, including 5 temperature settings that support varying performance conditions with a bright and easy-to-read digital display.

Weighing less than 11 pounds, the Chillout Systems Quantum Cooler is portable and hot-swappable so you can quickly move it from one mounting location to another within seconds.
All the tubing, hoses, and components in the system are fire-rated
Dash mountable digital control display available for installations where the system is beyond the driver's reach.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...0ab66e1794.png

In the box:
Quantum Cooler
Mounting Plate
Wiring Harness
Locking Ball Pins

Compatibility - The Chillout Systems Quantum Cooler is compatible with other brands' cooling shirts with 1/4" tubing.

You will need to purchase the Chillout Systems Dual Prong Adaptor in order to connect to different brand shirts as well as the Chillout Systems Insulated Hose.

We are proud to announce we are an authorized dealer for Chillout Systems and now have the Chillout Systems in stock again. Let us know how we can assist.

tcsracing1 06-14-2019 10:40 PM

do these require coolant?

LuigiVampa 06-14-2019 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by tcsracing1 (Post 15908564)

I believe the coolant it uses is similar to antifreeze.

CMS 06-15-2019 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by tcsracing1 (Post 15908564)

Correct. It uses a specially designed coolant. The coolant formula includes propylene glycol and fungicide. It’s 100% non-toxic and biodegradable. The system comes with a 1.5 liter supply which should last for an entire season.

Tom '74 911 06-15-2019 10:14 AM

Grassroots Motorsports just did a video about this system...

tcsracing1 06-15-2019 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by CMS (Post 15909017)
Correct. It uses a specially designed coolant. The coolant formula includes propylene glycol and fungicide. It’s 100% non-toxic and biodegradable. The system comes with a 1.5 liter supply which should last for an entire season.

Interesting.

IMSA wouldnt allow me to run the RINI box due to the coolant it uses.
Would this be IMSA legal?

serickson 06-15-2019 01:19 PM

OMG that Grassroots video was way too much talking. Would like real user review.

RSA964993 06-16-2019 02:39 PM

If anybody that has this system and is racing the PCA Club Race at VIR this coming weekend please let me know. I’ll be racing and I’d love to hear your thoughts as this race usually is a true test of cooling systems. Thanks.

Ritter v4.0 06-17-2019 06:52 PM

I saw it and tried a lose fitting vest on the weekend at Rd ATL. I really wanted to like it and am still considering.

Initial impressions; Looks great. Small and pretty quiet Don’t think it’s quite as cool as ice cold water shirt/coolclava set-up ( I run this with 2 pump Franken roto-molded box). Especially when/if you Y-connect for shirt/helmet combo.

The advantages are pretty obvious- size, weight, convenience etc.

The real and potential disadvantages as I see being; cost, wide ranging current draw and first gen product that could be subject to bugs and potentially failure with no easy swap out on a hot weekend. Also it’s a heater exchanger- if mounted in cockpit, that heat has got to go somewhere. Maybe not as hot as Cup motor or ambient temps but it’s more warm air.

Would like to hear more from actual users if any at this point. Any beta-testers?

Matt Romanowski 06-17-2019 06:55 PM

This guys used one in a race https://barrysracing.home.blog/author/barrywhoami/ His experience in a car is a bit different sounding than some of the other TA2 drivers I work with, but I think it's a decent review.

Ritter v4.0 06-18-2019 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski (Post 15913793)
This guys used one in a race https://barrysracing.home.blog/author/barrywhoami/ His experience in a car is a bit different sounding than some of the other TA2 drivers I work with, but I think it's a decent review.

Quite comprehensive I’d say- thanks for posting Matt.

kristap 06-24-2019 06:34 PM

Purchased the system a couple of weeks ago - only used it once. The blog post shared by Matt is pretty thorough and I've not much to add. It is compatible with my FAST shirt and hoses which I liked. The current draw is more significant that I had expected so it's powered directly from my little battery. It took awhile to drop the temperature from 90F ambient and drew close to 30a. Switching it on dropped my car's idle note about 2 octaves. Learning point for me - start it cooling 20m before I need to drive the car. They offer an AC adapter which I'm considering in order to pre-cool the system without depending on the running car for power.

Ritter v4.0 06-25-2019 11:51 PM

Which car are you running it in and what were running prior- full FAST system? Once you got it cooled, how did the cooling compare- as cool?

kristap 06-26-2019 08:18 AM

Using it in a BMW e46 race car. It took longer to cool the water than FAST but cooled it to COLD, ambient was 90+F. The FAST effectively cooled for a partial sprint race while the ice melted and water warmed. For enduros, I cycled power to the FAST in order to stretch its cooling through the race. The Chillout cools to the temp set and then holds that temperature.

Ritter v4.0 06-26-2019 01:42 PM

To be clear, the AC adapter could pre-cool before before a race say, but I guess you need the shirt attached as well during that time. If you did that, once in the car would it still be drawing circa 30a to maintain the temp?
The alternator on a Cup is not huge and neither is the battery. so the draw up to 30a is the major concern.