Sponsored by:

Watkins Glen International pulls out of Woodstock 50

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 07:27 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Watkins Glen International pulls out of Woodstock 50

The announcement is the latest in a long series of setbacks for the anniversary festival, which is scheduled for the weekend of Aug. 16-18 and has been marred by reports of financial and management problems since it was announced back in January. While those reports were initially quashed when the festival held a splashy press conference in March announcing a blockbuster lineup including Jay-Z, the Dead & Co., Miley Cyrus and many others, but then the ticket on-sale date was abruptly postponed as the necessary mass-gathering permit had not been obtained, and then the festival’s financial partner, Dentsu Aegis, abruptly pulled out late in April. Woodstock 50 and Dentsu have been embroiled in a legal battle ever since.

Nearly two months out from the festival’s scheduled dates, tickets still have not gone on sale. O’Hearn told Variety that the festival’s permit application was received months later than other festivals held at the raceway; tickets for such events are usually on-sale many months in advance.

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/...ay-1203238802/
Old 06-10-2019, 08:29 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Great news....I recall what a disaster last year was while doing a Trackmasters event as they were setting up for the Phish concert that was cancelled anyway due to the biblical rain....they basically took over the entire track and we had to work around them (great for us paying customers, right? Money talks, though). Better to bag it now--maybe we can get the garages back for the Aug 12-13 TM event

I don't quite know what's becoming of WGI lately--they had a circus (yes, a real h-t-g circus!) scheduled Sunday right before today's Phoenix CMR event; I'm all for trying to make a buck but the track is booked almost every day--they've gotta be making $$$ even after paying NASCAR.

Aren't they?

Gary
......thankfully I'm driving Mosport tomorrow where they don't do that stuff.......much
Old 06-10-2019, 08:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Yeah the Phish BS also impacted the joint NNJR NER event last summer that hired me as roving coach. Everything had to be run out of the lower paddock. What a PITA
Old 06-10-2019, 08:46 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Last week, they were busily repaving all of the surface roads in the village. And the main road going up the hill...the whole way to the track...was being repaved. And the Glen itself was repaving all of its interior roads. The main entrance tunnel was blocked during the PCA race weekend, and traffic had to go ALLLL the way around the track and come in from the backside tunnel. At least most of the work will be done in time for the Salen's 6-Hours at the Glen in two weeks.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:17 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts

Ahh well. The original festival was something never to be repeated
Old 06-11-2019, 06:26 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
Last week, they were busily repaving all of the surface roads in the village. And the main road going up the hill...the whole way to the track...was being repaved. And the Glen itself was repaving all of its interior roads. The main entrance tunnel was blocked during the PCA race weekend, and traffic had to go ALLLL the way around the track and come in from the backside tunnel. At least most of the work will be done in time for the Salen's 6-Hours at the Glen in two weeks.
Yeah, I was there for a DE during all that--whatta PITA!! Marianne said it should be done by the 14th.

As for the town, that looks like a long-term mess

Gary
Old 06-11-2019, 07:04 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,394 Likes on 1,930 Posts

I was at Woodstock in 1999. Of course it turned into a total $hit show on the last day when they started burning everything.

Has there ever been a Woodstock which was run well?
Old 06-11-2019, 10:53 AM
Kris Murphy
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I was at Woodstock in 1999. Of course it turned into a total $hit show on the last day when they started burning everything.

I was at the one in 1994. Lots of rain and mud, but for the most part it was fairly well organized. Parking was crazy, and the lines to get on the shuttle buses to get back to your car were hours long, but that is to be expected. Turns out it was only a 45 minute walk (which is what we did).
Old 06-11-2019, 11:17 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

I didn't get to go to the original as I was only 7 but we were moving from NE PA to Westchester county NY that weekend. There were people everywhere along I-84. I'll never forget my grandmother freeked out in the back seat "Lock the doors, there's hippies in the ditches!"

This one has been pretty much doomed from the start..
Old 06-11-2019, 10:31 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts

Yeah - in 1969. That was perfect. A moment in time never to be repeated. The summer of love.

I had a fantastic time.
15 years old. My ride (My sister) disappeared the first day with my shirt, shoes and wallet. Didn't sleep for three days.
I'll never forget The Who playing as the pre-dawn edged past the night or Jimmy Hendrix wailing away with Star Spangled banner in the end.

It was beautiful..

Hitched back to NYC after the last act. They dropped me off by the GW bridge and a NYC cop bought me a pair of flip flops and a subway token (circa 1969)
Went home and slept for 2 days.

A perfect end to a perfect weekend

Old 06-11-2019, 11:37 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,394 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
I didn't get to go to the original as I was only 7 but we were moving from NE PA to Westchester county NY that weekend. There were people everywhere along I-84. I'll never forget my grandmother freeked out in the back seat "Lock the doors, there's hippies in the ditches!"

This one has been pretty much doomed from the start..
I don't know why, but that is pretty f-ing funny!
Old 06-11-2019, 11:53 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

I don't know why, but that is pretty f-ing funny!

Yeah, I remember it like it was yesterday and she's still alive and all there at 98.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:16 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 191 Posts

Thank God the Glen cancelled it. I can’t imagine the potential damage to the facility being worth the revenue generated. Also, Woodstock captured a moment in time. That time is no longer. Now we have Burning Man and Coachella for the kids and hipsters.

Originally Posted by sbelles
"Lock the doors, there's hippies in the ditches!"..
That is absolutely fantastic.

Originally Posted by dan212
Yeah - in 1969. That was perfect. A moment in time never to be repeated. The summer of love.

I had a fantastic time.
15 years old. My ride (My sister) disappeared the first day with my shirt, shoes and wallet. Didn't sleep for three days.
I'll never forget The Who playing as the pre-dawn edged past the night or Jimmy Hendrix wailing away with Star Spangled banner in the end.

It was beautiful..

Hitched back to NYC after the last act. They dropped me off by the GW bridge and a NYC cop bought me a pair of flip flops and a subway token (circa 1969)
Went home and slept for 2 days.

A perfect end to a perfect weekend
Great story. Couldn’t repeat any of that today, unfortunately.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:44 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

I think Dan nailed it: there could only be one Woodstock
Old 06-12-2019, 09:55 AM
Obturate
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Seems to me few things have been as romanticized as the original Woodstock. I'd rather listen to loud music on my Khorns at home.

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen International pulls out of Woodstock 50