Sponsored by:

Canadian Grand Prix - Great Race Ruined by Stewards

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 08:37 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
No, he stopped trying as any sensible person in that spot would do.
Listen to post-race interview. The question was asked and Hammy said he couldn't get it done. Tires and brakes were toast.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:39 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I had an interesting discussion elsewhere so riddle me this.

If Vettel had not gone off course there but cut across Hamilton on corner exit it causing Hamilton to hit the brakes to avoid contact it would have been open and shut case of dangerous move/blocking and people wouldn't be complaining that the penalty wasn't unjustified.

However, Vettel was 'out of control' according the people here and around the internet and racing world and because of that, he shouldn't be considered at fault.

How does not being in control give someone a pass for cutting someone off?

As for the thread title, can we leave spoilers out. And falsehoods. It was a boring race.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:42 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by venom51
Vettel was trying not to slam that car into one of the concrete walls after losing the rear. That had exactly dick **** to do with trying to block Hamilton. They are both lucky that event didn't end both of their races. It could have gone very differently.
i feel the same way, if he didnt control it the way he did both of them may have been out of the race, total bs.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:47 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

Interesting to read and hear the viewpoints of persons with actual driving experience in F1 and elsewhere at the highest levels... even the Hamilton fans... they near universally confirm what I/we saw... penalty was a lousy call.

M
Old 06-09-2019, 08:48 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Watch and listen after 0:18 below. He steps on the gas and steers (conveniently "corrects") to the right the moment he leaves the grass and regains traction. He was in a hurry to close the door on Hamilton. He didn't have to do that. He could have kept off the gas (just like he was going through the grass) and just rolled onto the pavement, but that would have provided racing room for Hamilton on the right. Hamilton took the outside because he was sure that a car rolling through the grass after so much braking (slow corner) would NOT have to go all the way across the track on the other side to regain control. Both Hamilton and the race stewards saw this and they both made the right decision.

https://youtu.be/gqhX-ZzPhzo

dude, if you or me were in the position we are in the wall, i dont think anyone of us could have digested what was going on and make any decisions as fast as Vettel did. he did what he had to do otherwise it would have been much worse for both cars.. With all the downforce on these cars letting off the gas while on the grass would probably make things a lot worse. When do you have your driving classes, hopefully Vettel is free so you can help him with his driving. ..
Old 06-09-2019, 08:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
It seems to me that if you leave the track you shouldn't be able to then have your car go somewhere that impedes your competition.
Hah! I see that in SCCA, PCA Club Racing, NASA, even Historics. It’s about entitlement, not “taking your medicine” or owning up to a mistake in hobby racing. In top level pro racing, it’s about staying ahead of the competition, at nearly all costs.

I don’t think Seb was thinking about anything other than regaining control of the car, which he did. The hangdog face worn by LH after confirmed that he knew that, too.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:50 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 763 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
I had an interesting discussion elsewhere so riddle me this.

If Vettel had not gone off course there but cut across Hamilton on corner exit it causing Hamilton to hit the brakes to avoid contact it would have been open and shut case of dangerous move/blocking and people wouldn't be complaining that the penalty wasn't unjustified.

However, Vettel was 'out of control' according the people here and around the internet and racing world and because of that, he shouldn't be considered at fault.

How does not being in control give someone a pass for cutting someone off?

As for the thread title, can we leave spoilers out. And falsehoods. It was a boring race.
Do you understand the penalty? He was penalized because he had rejoined the track in an unsafe manner. This is a "choice" penalty. It assumes he could have somehow rejoined the race in a safe manner. Unless, of course, you think he should be penalized for making the mistake that caused this whole incident. I don't think that is a bridge you want to cross.....
Old 06-09-2019, 08:51 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Interesting to read and hear the viewpoints of persons with actual driving experience in F1 and elsewhere at the highest levels... even the Hamilton fans... they near universally confirm what I/we saw... penalty was a lousy call.

M
But did they speak to HF1 on how Vettel could have drove differently.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:00 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
No. Stewards didn't force Vettel off track and that mistake would have cost him his position if he didn't make sure that he blocked Hamilton and run him into the wall. That was his only chance to save his position and he executed it well. I don't believe that he couldn't have kept the car a little to the left if he had let it just roll off the grass and back on the track. His first move once he hit pavement again was to get on the gas and steer sharply to THE RIGHT to close the door on Hamilton. He wasn't just a passenger. He didn't have to do that. The race stewards (I think all experienced former racers) saw this and judged correctly. It was a great race despite the incident.
You haven’t raced hard enough!
Old 06-09-2019, 09:05 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
May be too late... And like NASCAR, they are HIGHLY unlikely to get back to where they were before.
Bring back grid girls step in right direction...
Old 06-09-2019, 09:09 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane

Bad for Ferrari - they needed this win for morale as much as anything.

t
But if Rossberg is correct it won't matter anyway. He thinks Ferrari is good on a couple of power tracks and not the average F1 track and Ferrari have designed in the wrong direction. I never liked that guy but he is pretty smart and I think an engineer too so better than most understanding of vehicle dynamics.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:16 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by winders
Do you understand the penalty? He was penalized because he had rejoined the track in an unsafe manner. This is a "choice" penalty. It assumes he could have somehow rejoined the race in a safe manner. Unless, of course, you think he should be penalized for making the mistake that caused this whole incident. I don't think that is a bridge you want to cross.....

Where does it say choice anywhere in the ruling?

Rejoining the track out of control is pretty good example of rejoining in an unsafe manner FWIW.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:23 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Title says it all.
Yeah, unfortunately title said it all and ruined the race for me as I knew the outcome once the incident happened.

To those thinking Vettel did it on purpose - did he do the little wiggle coming off the grass to sell it or (and I'm just putting this out there) he didn't have full control of his car? I don't think he drove Hammy to the wall. I think he was trying to save the car.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:26 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Yeah, unfortunately title said it all and ruined the race for me as I knew the outcome once the incident happened.

To those thinking Vettel did it on purpose - did he do the little wiggle coming off the grass to sell it or (and I'm just putting this out there) he didn't have full control of his car? I don't think he drove Hammy to the wall. I think he was trying to save the car.

Does the rule say the driver has to be doing something intentionally?

I don't think Vettel intentionally cutoff Hamilton. But it obviously did cause Hamilton to lift and what would have been an easy pass never happened. At a non-street circuit Hamilton would have gone three feet wider and been on his merry way to the next turn ahead of Vettel.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:58 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Another boring F1 race...only thing to talk about is the F1 Stewards call....

Quick Reply: Canadian Grand Prix - Great Race Ruined by Stewards