Do lap timers encourage bad behavior?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 06:11 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
I have no idea why you guys are being so defensive. Very few people commenting on this issue and its the same one's and those same ones are the ones who are saying that it hasn't impacted how they drive.

I track what I'd say is 3 high value cars. For 3.5 years I didn't have track insurance. I started to see some very aggressive driving by people around me (usually much lower value cars). I saw a terrible accident that could not have been avoided no matter how careful one was). I made some inquiries of many people who I track with. Just about every aggressive driver and who has very, very good lap times had track insurance. The ones who dive bomb, ride on your bumper, etc., all had track insurance.

I have no idea how many different groups/tracks that you guys drive with. I drive with quite a few different groups and I can definitely see the difference in driving/attitude with people who have track insurance and those that don't.

Back to my Lockton/open track insurance example. There are 3 HPDE groups in my area where Lockton will specifically not cover the open passing group. The other track groups they will. Open track doesn't discriminate. They will cover everyone. Everyone I talked to, said they go through opentrack because they will cover everything and it only costs $150 for each additional car if its insured value is the same or lower then the highest price car that one has coverage for.
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
If track insurance causes life-endangering stupidity on track, then surely matches cause arson and guns cause murder.
It is a very "liberal" argument.

Originally Posted by Manifold
My sense is that you're often sharing the track with wealthier people in very expensive cars, non-racing, in a particular area of the country. The people you describe don't seem representative of most of the DE world in the US, hence your impressions regarding the insurance issue not lining up with most of us. But I can believe that (some) rich guys in very expensive cars out west would get opentrack insurance (which caters to more expensive cars) and then drive more recklessly because they have that insurance.

In general, we need to keep in mind that track insurance can attract (1) drivers who want to take more risk and drive more aggressively, (2) drivers who just want some financial protection because writing off the car would be too painful, and (3) drivers who are inherently risk averse, and buy insurance because of that. In the same vein, having insurance could affect driver behavior in various ways: (a) it may encourage some to take more risk, (b) some may hardly be influenced by having the insurance (get it and forget it), and (c) it may influence some drivers to drive less aggressively (e.g., the act of purchasing the insurance may remind a driver of the risk of crashing and cause them to be more cautious). The people you describe seem to be in the 1a category. I suspect that most drivers, including me, are in the 2b category. I doubt that driving on track attracts many people in the 3c category, and the other six categories may be even more rare.
+1

Replace the words "rich guy in a McLaren" with "insurance" in all the examples and I will agree with what yesyoucan is saying.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:38 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
My sense is that you're often sharing the track with wealthier people in very expensive cars, non-racing, in a particular area of the country. The people you describe don't seem representative of most of the DE world in the US, hence your impressions regarding the insurance issue not lining up with most of us. But I can believe that (some) rich guys in very expensive cars out west would get opentrack insurance (which caters to more expensive cars) and then drive more recklessly because they have that insurance.

In general, we need to keep in mind that track insurance can attract (1) drivers who want to take more risk and drive more aggressively, (2) drivers who just want some financial protection because writing off the car would be too painful, and (3) drivers who are inherently risk averse, and buy insurance because of that. In the same vein, having insurance could affect driver behavior in various ways: (a) it may encourage some to take more risk, (b) some may hardly be influenced by having the insurance (get it and forget it), and (c) it may influence some drivers to drive less aggressively (e.g., the act of purchasing the insurance may remind a driver of the risk of crashing and cause them to be more cautious). The people you describe seem to be in the 1a category. I suspect that most drivers, including me, are in the 2b category. I doubt that driving on track attracts many people in the 3c category, and the other six categories may be even more rare.
Your posting makes sense.... except for the expensive car thingy. I am the only one who I track with that has it. Most are the affordable type cars. Many people with the more expensive cars refuse to come out to HPDE. They will just do the private thing, dealer days every once in a while.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:43 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
It is a very "liberal" argument.

+1

Replace the words "rich guy in a McLaren" with "insurance" in all the examples and I will agree with what yesyoucan is saying.
What type of comment is that? and you are a coach?

Like I said; I research a lot... Haggerty/Lockton will only cover YOUR car. You bang into someone else and they do not cover the other person's car. Opentrack has optional "liability" coverage for $1,000/year. I think the biggest jerks are the ones who take track insurance and do not take the optional liability .. Yeah great; you want to ride on someone's bumper, dive bomb them and you are covered but not the other guys car that you hit into.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:44 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Your posting makes sense.... except for the expensive car thingy. I am the only one who I track with that has it. Most are the affordable type cars. Many people with the more expensive cars refuse to come out to HPDE. They will just do the private thing, dealer days every once in a while.
I recommend staying away from the 1a guys - the guys who buy insurance because they want to take more risk, and then take more risk because they have the insurance. Such people are a menace to themselves and others.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:21 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Like I said; I research a lot... Haggerty/Lockton will only cover YOUR car. You bang into someone else and they do not cover the other person's car. Opentrack has optional "liability" coverage for $1,000/year. I think the biggest jerks are the ones who take track insurance and do not take the optional liability .. Yeah great; you want to ride on someone's bumper, dive bomb them and you are covered but not the other guys car that you hit into.
It's a valid comment. A little tongue in cheek, but totally valid. Coach? I guess in the sense I am a PCA instructor I am but coach usually implies a level above that in my mind.

What type of comment? I merely took what you said and applied it to your situation. Perhaps the root cause of what you see are the people you drive with.

Serious question - how do you know, other than your sixth sense, who has insurance? I have absolutely no idea who around me has insurance and who doesn't. How do you know because it is central to your argument?

Last edited by LuigiVampa; 06-09-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:42 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Serious question - how do you know, other than your sixth sense, who has insurance? I have absolutely no idea who around me has insurance and who doesn't. How do you know because it is central to your argument?
Why, they're the people with the big circle with the "X" in the middle on their rear bumper!

Uh, no.....that's the rookie thing.

Oh yeah, they've got the big circle with the words "HIT ME, I'M COVERED!" on their rear bumper!

If the OP can sniff out who has insurance and who doesn't I'd like him to tell me what the next Powerball numbers will be!

OK, enough.......back to watching today's GP to see if Vettel really got hosed......

Gary
Old 06-09-2019, 09:49 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

It's a valid comment. A little tongue in cheek, but totally valid. Coach? I guess in the sense I am a PCA instructor I am but coach usually implies a level above that in my mind.

What type of comment? I merely took what you said and applied it to your situation. Perhaps the root cause of what you see are the people you drive with.

Is it safe to say that there are usually "regulars" who track with the same groups, same track days...

It becomes a small community. You talk to one another between sessions, etc. These types of topics do come up.

Anyways; I don't think I have much more to add to this topic. Hope to see some of you guys if you make it out to the left coast. We have great tracks out here and plenty of fast people.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:07 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Hope to see some of you guys if you make it out to the left coast. We have great tracks out here and plenty of fast people.
What tracks do you run and with what groups?
Old 06-09-2019, 10:10 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Originally Posted by dgrobs
What tracks do you run and with what groups?
Mainly laguna Seca , Sonoma and sometimes thunderhill. I’ve been to thermal and cota

cota was a private run group with track rats

in Northern California the hpde groups are usually SpeedSF , exclusive, hooked on driving , speed district , fast toys , track masters and some private track days
Old 06-09-2019, 10:41 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Good to know. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:02 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

Opentrack has optional "liability" coverage for $1,000/year. I think the biggest jerks are the ones who take track insurance and do not take the optional liability .. Yeah great; you want to ride on someone's bumper, dive bomb them and you are covered but not the other guys car that you hit into.
Opentrack liability insurance covers other people’s cars that one might hit?
Old 06-10-2019, 09:29 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by stownsen914
Opentrack liability insurance covers other people’s cars that one might hit?
Here's their sample policy: https://opentrack.com/assets/pdf/ope...icy_sample.pdf

Seems like they only cover damages to other people's cars you hit if you become "legally responsible" for those damages. To become "legally responsible" in that way, it seems that the waiver we all sign would have to become unenforceable.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:30 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Mainly laguna Seca , Sonoma and sometimes thunderhill. I’ve been to thermal and cota

cota was a private run group with track rats

in Northern California the hpde groups are usually SpeedSF , exclusive, hooked on driving , speed district , fast toys , track masters and some private track days
So do you run with PCA?
Old 06-10-2019, 12:00 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I happen to know him. Maybe some of you guys want to see what you want to see.
I don't know why you insist on continuing this nonsense. Most of the people I track with have track insurance. Do you mean to say they're ALL driving with reckless abandon???

What??? That's Ferrari Club (etc.) speak. I wasn't sure what you meant before but now I do... Dude, you sound like a newb (and yes, we understand that you own some fast $$$ cars). Don't confuse your own personal opinion with facts. And do not presume to educate those who have much, MUCH more experience than you - none of whom have agreed with anything you've said, BTW.

Heck, in your mind I'm also a "coach"... As a matter of fact, I'm a professional!

Last edited by the_vetman; 06-10-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:17 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Originally Posted by the_vetman
I don't know why you insist on continuing this nonsense. Most of the people I track with have track insurance. Do you mean to say they're ALL driving with reckless abandon???

What??? That's Ferrari Club (etc.) speak. I wasn't sure what you meant before but now I do... Dude, you sound like a newb (and yes, we understand that you own some fast $$$ cars). Don't confuse your own personal opinion with facts. And do not presume to educate those who have much, MUCH more experience than you - none of whom have agreed with anything you've said, BTW.

Heck, in your mind I'm also a "coach"... As a matter of fact, I'm a professional!
You read this entire thread and that’s the conclusion you came up with ? Jeez.

the proliferation of track insurance has caused more incidents , more aggressive driving and used by SOME to go faster and have more risk tolerance .

its easy to see with the higher rate of incidents and with car to car collisions “racing” at hpde events

and yeah ... ppl will readily admit to this in real life ... not on car forums

Quick Reply: Do lap timers encourage bad behavior?