Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any thoughts on the #22 Aston Martin driver's "move" this past weekend at LRP?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 06:11 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

I don't understand why half this thread is about DE's and PCA group levels??? PCA group level means nothing here.

One of the PCA race "rookies" this weekend was an IMSA professional GS driver. Stevan McAleer and Trent Hindman were both PCA "rookies" while some of the most talented pro's on track before getting their PCA rookie license.

Also, you can not compare a "brake check" at a DE to what we saw above, why even draw a correlation and finally why immediately assume the Aston would do this on purpose? Maybe it's that negative attitude that's leads to you believing it was a "deliberate brake check..." Did you speak to the driver about it calmly afterwards and ask what happened? Did you approach them to find out if maybe they had something else going on in the car? Or did you post it to youtube and try to get him in trouble with the event organizers?

I see a driver that took too much curbing, tracked out, never corrected and made an egregious mistake. His lack of remorse is actually what concerns me most about this thread, even more so than the driving. That shows someone with a personality trait I would never want to share the track with...

Now back to the topic at hand.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:45 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
I don't understand why half this thread is about DE's and PCA group levels??? PCA group level means nothing here.

I see a driver that took too much curbing, tracked out, never corrected and made an egregious mistake. His lack of remorse is actually what concerns me most about this thread, even more so than the driving. That shows someone with a personality trait I would never want to share the track with...

Because Rennlist.

I see him Diving out for optimal car placement for corner entry without ensuring he was clear. Hopefully a red mist incident. On the last point, I agree with Colin. All we have is a third person account of his actions afterward. We have no idea how he felt about it.

I don't think I'd want to race with him either though.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:52 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
Because Rennlist.
Haha!! So true I forgot where I was for a minute!

Agreed, you don't ever know what is going on in someone elses head or car for that matter. Mike Embler probably thought I tried to run him off up the esses this weekend when he was on my butt and my fuel pump died. No way for him to know WHY i suddenly slowed until I spoke to him afterwards...
Old 06-04-2019, 07:36 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I will address the unconscious action with the driver before next event in a positive manor . I should not have mentioned it but it is similar in my mind ... . I'm questioning qualifications for racing
Old 06-04-2019, 10:42 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk

One of the PCA race "rookies" this weekend was an IMSA professional GS driver. Stevan McAleer and Trent Hindman were both PCA "rookies" while some of the most talented pro's on track before getting their PCA rookie license.

Also, you can not compare a "brake check" at a DE to what we saw above, why even draw a correlation and finally why immediately assume the Aston would do this on purpose? Maybe it's that negative attitude that's leads to you believing it was a "deliberate brake check..." Did you speak to the driver about it calmly afterwards and ask what happened? Did you approach them to find out if maybe they had something else going on in the car? Or did you post it to youtube and try to get him in trouble with the event organizers?

BIG +1. All I see from the video is a guy (Aston) being careless, not paying attention, and thinking he was already past and moving over. Deliberate? Puhleez. Bad judgment and driving? Big yes. Lack of remorse afterward? Terrible, but we only have 1 side of story at this point. Now having said all that, the situation could be different if the two cars had prior issues together and the Aston driver just said "F^ck this guy" and punted him. But we don't know if that was the case.

If I had to count all the times someone moved over on me thinking they were clear, well, it would be a lot.... BothDE and racing. I actively watch other drivers for any 1st hint of coming over. If I see their angle change, I back out... And don't you guys remember the video PLNewman recently posted? Same situation and I'm SURE the owner of a brand new GT3 didn't mean to crash into him.

Just one example: at SP last year, another instructor moved over on me in the brake zone, making me swerve and drop wheels to avoid rear ending him. I was pissed but knew that the other guy is a quiet, even-keeled person. I approached him afterwards and ribbed him about it. He was completely oblivious and profusely apologized. Later in the day, the same guy made the same EXACT move in the same location (Turn 3).... I dropped wheels again then spun. Again I was pissed but I chalk it up to lack of awareness and "less than ideal" driving. But now I know who to watch out for in certain situations.

And how the heck does someone know someone else brake checked him while knowing that another car was closely behind the car being brake checked? How do you know it was deliberate?? All kinds of sh*t happen on the race track including checking brakes before brake zone, panic "oh ****" moment braking, thinking someone in front was gonna spin or the distance is closing way too fast braking, thinking he saw a yellow flag or an incident braking, etc., etc., etc. Sounds like someone got red mist and got livid. My WAG is that the other guy was driving like an idiot and unsafely. But that doesn't automatically equate to deliberate motive!

OK, off of my soapbox now. I've been resisting posting in this thread but Paul is SPOT ON!
Old 06-05-2019, 07:50 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm ok if an admin wants to close this thread as I posted earlier that the AM driver got his 15 min. of fame.

The cup driver won the Enduro and got a 2nd or 3rd in one of the heat races. He reported that he and the AM driver were battling it out all weekend, with himself passing the AM driver in the corners multiple times. It sure looked like a hip check to me, that's all folks!

Regards,

Old 06-06-2019, 11:35 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Is this a SVRA event? I have been thinking about giving them a try with my 914. I realize this can happen in every organization, but I was hopping for better etiquette in vintage racing.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:26 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
Is this a SVRA event? I have been thinking about giving them a try with my 914. I realize this can happen in every organization, but I was hopping for better etiquette in vintage racing.
I thought about this too. Stuff happens everywhere I guess, but I'd hope for better awareness and care shown at a vintage race. Hopefully crap like happened in this case is policed and an outlier.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,844 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Originally Posted by stownsen914
I thought about this too. Stuff happens everywhere I guess, but I'd hope for better awareness and care shown at a vintage race. Hopefully crap like happened in this case is policed and an outlier.
+1,000
Old 06-06-2019, 11:56 PM
Davisonplastic
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you send me your e mail address for off line communication ref lime rock davisonplastic@yahoo.com
Old 06-07-2019, 01:45 PM
gumdr000
Cruisin'

Default Communication sent

Communication sent. Thanks
Old 06-07-2019, 04:12 PM
gumdr000
Cruisin'

We’ll see what happens.....
Old 08-13-2019, 11:21 PM
gumdr000
Cruisin'

Default Final thoughts

I was contacted by the driver and was offered a minimal apology. This guy is a piece of work. I asked him to do the right thing. I would consider any restitution. My last communication was over 2 months ago. Zero. This was a major error and caused me the loss of a car I invested a lot of money into over the winter to be ready for the race season. This guy is a zero. I will never be on the track with him again. There were multiple incidents over the weekend with myself and many other drivers over the weekend. He has no car control or awareness of his surroundings. I will be back at Watkins glen.
please heed my warnings and be safe out there.

Quick Reply: Any thoughts on the #22 Aston Martin driver's "move" this past weekend at LRP?