Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any thoughts on the #22 Aston Martin driver's "move" this past weekend at LRP?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 09:30 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by seanseidman
I race, and understand that s..t happens.
This appears to be a deliberate punt.
A punt with no remorse is quite inexcusable is all I'm saying.
This was my feeling as well, and the video from behind shows that quite clearly. He moves to the left, stops, then moves again. Jockeying for position is one thing but he was all over the place. Anyway, the comments did make the cup driver feel a little better, and the AM driver got his well deserved 15 min. of fame on here.

Peter, what does " The Aston driver is a plastic surgeon in or around DC, IIRC." have anything to do with anything? Other than all surgeons are a god when in the OR, but not on the racetrack. :-)

The cup driver is an oral surgeon from the Boston area if it matters.

Regards,

Old 06-04-2019, 09:42 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,848 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Originally Posted by Cemoto
He moves to the left, stops, then moves again.

The cup driver is an oral surgeon from the Boston area, if it matters.
On the latter, fair enough. I work with quite a few with “God complexes...” I was out of line, a non-sequitur.

On the former, this is why this incident is a real problem. There were bad decisions made, probably because the Aston thought “that was racing...”

I spent twenty-four years as SVRA’s CI, trying to be as clear as I could about the “line that should not be crossed.”

In other words, how to race hard, but fair AND WITHOUT TOUCHING. With some modicum of success. That’s why PCA CR was such an eye opener for me.

But it just goes to show that people make bad decisions all the time. And other innocent parties pay a price. And that’s not right...
Old 06-04-2019, 10:11 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Ring him up - he is close to you and could use some coaching (as can all of us). :-)

I read this this morning and it is so true. " Everybody wants to get the advantage through spending money. That's a lot easier than becoming a better driver."

Regards,

Old 06-04-2019, 10:38 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yellow PCA instructed level driver....anyway... I remember once asking a person registering what run group he felt comfortable in? He replied "advanced" After additional inquiry it was revealed that he felt he should be in the advanced group because he had owned the car for 25 years ...
Old 06-04-2019, 11:26 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
Poor judgement. Poor racecraft.
+1

The driver in the trailing car appears to shake his head after the uphill when the green car wiggles wide. It's like he knew it was coming.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:43 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
+1

The driver in the trailing car appears to shake his head after the uphill when the green car wiggles wide. It's like he knew it was coming.
I agree bad judgment and bad racecraft.
I cannot fathom that the Aston’s punt was “deliberate.” Why would he risk crashing his own car, causing expensive damage to his own car, and open himself up to likely penalty or disqualification?
Old 06-04-2019, 11:55 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

My cataract corrected eyes see deliberate. I'd like to think not but every time I watch both.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:40 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Really bad move by the AM? Yes. Lifetime ban? No way; maybe a 1 year ban to reflect and learn. Deliberate? Seems unlikely and impossible to know from the videos. He probably merely thought he was clear of the other car so moved over. Lack of remorse? Also no way to know. Not coming over to say sorry isn't great for sure, but maybe he was embarrassed. Who knows why someone does or doesn't do something.

You may now return to gathering your torches and pitchforks.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:34 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Really bad move by the AM? Yes. Lifetime ban? No way; maybe a 1 year ban to reflect and learn. Deliberate? Seems unlikely and impossible to know from the videos. He probably merely thought he was clear of the other car so moved over. Lack of remorse? Also no way to know. Not coming over to say sorry isn't great for sure, but maybe he was embarrassed. Who knows why someone does or doesn't do something.

You may now return to gathering your torches and pitchforks.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:14 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

I don't understand people saying this was deliberate. You have to be out of your f-ing mind to do something like that on the downhill.

Over his head? Not paying attention? Just a bad driver? All could be the case. But deliberate? You would have to say "deliberately crazy" in my book.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:09 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Todd. I had a similar situation almost happen to me a few weeks ago. Actually came over on me and almost directed me into a disabled vehicle. Open passing D group at a DE, no signal needed, he knew I was there. Then he brake checked me with a car on my tail to screw with me before next section. VERY dangerous. He did it intentionally I'm sure But may have not been aware of it consciously. He NEVER likes to be passed. It's still up on my You tube . I was told to forget about it . I was livid. Yes. some people will do something intentionally. If you watch it let me know your thoughts.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:25 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Todd. I had a similar situation almost happen to me a few weeks ago. Actually came over on me and almost directed me into a disabled vehicle. Open passing D group at a DE, no signal needed, he knew I was there. Then he brake checked me with a car on my tail to screw with me before next section. VERY dangerous. He did it intentionally I'm sure But may have not been aware of it consciously. He NEVER likes to be passed. It's still up on my You tube . I was told to forget about it . I was livid. Yes. some people will do something intentionally. If you watch it let me know your thoughts.
I know it happens - no argument from me there at all. I got brake checked during a Miata race at MMC last year ending with my first and only time hitting armco (knock on wood). Very slight damage to the car but a big bill because it was a rented car.

In this case what I am saying is that it is such a dangerous part of the track that he would have to be crazy to do something like that. If you want to do something like that give someone a nudge at the lefthander or something like that.

All that being said, maybe the guy is nuts and he did do it on purpose. I don't know but I think it was incompetence over it being intentional.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:31 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

K . either way- drive safe. I was going to ask you about your MMC incident.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:59 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,002 Posts

This the video of certain someone from a certain region in a certain car on a certain track that you emailed to me?

Please don't mention a name, just answer yay or nay ?
Old 06-04-2019, 05:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 758 Posts

If you were told by event management to forget about it, you need to avoid this group immediately

Quick Reply: Any thoughts on the #22 Aston Martin driver's "move" this past weekend at LRP?