Sponsored by:

Cost and Feasibility of Track Days without Car Ownership

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 07:58 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ttcbj
I went to the PSDS about 1.5 years ago, and absolutely loved it (so much so that I made this embarrassing video:

After watching this forum, I've decided that I'm only comfortable doing track days in a car with a cage and a 6 point harness+HANS. I don't have the time or money to haul a track car around to different tracks, which leaves me with arrive & drive rentals as my only possibility. I'd be happy driving any safe car, it doesn't need to be high end.

My questions are: How feasible is it to get a safe, track prepped car for track days? If you do track rentals, how much do you spend, all in, on a typical arrive and drive weekend?

If the all-in cost (not including one-time purchases like HANS) for a track weekend is $5,000 or less, I could justify it. $10,000 or more, I should move on. In between, I'll have to think about it.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Have you done any DE's since PSDS?

If PSDS is your only track experience so far and you only plan to do 1 weekend a month you'll be fine with the DE provided instruction. I wouldn't think you'd need to get an SCCA license yet.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:00 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

If this is just one weekend a year, I doubt the OP wants to invest in all the infrastructure required to transport a dedicated track car, nor would he really find professional coaching to have much of an impact.

Can’t you just take your street car out for the one weekend a year you’re able to break free (sounds terrible, btw)?
Old 05-29-2019, 08:34 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by ttcbj
First, thanks for all the helpful responses above.

Hire them to do what, exactly? I had assumed that my next step (prior to renting cars) was to do a 3-day "get your SCCA license course."

Another question I could have asked was, "If you went to the PSDS and loved it, what would you do next?" Buying a car and hauling it all over isn't an option for me, but other than that I am open to suggestions on how to experience more track driving (as long as the general long-term trend of expenses is less than $10K/year, hopefully closer to 5k). Right now, one weekend away from my family per year is about all I can manage in terms of time.

I hope that over the next decade, I will have more free time and money, but I don't want to go down this path unless I can at least do one weekend a year for about $5K, which was the original question (sounds like yes, that is feasible).
You could continue with PTX Masters at Barber. I think it's about 5k plus travel and lodging. You can save by staying at the Hampton by the track instead of the Grand Bohemian.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:58 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

For a weekend a year it’s likely you’ll have trouble retaining a lot of what you learn the next time you’re back. Personally I have a hard time developing skills if I’m not out there several times a year. Because of that for now I’d consider optimizing for emotional excitement and fun rather than trying to build big driving talent. Learn things like the flags, slow in fast out, how to be safe around traffic at speed, feeling the car, and then just have a great time.

There are a lot of other things to consider. I’d look at drivers schools. Dirtfish rally school sounds interesting, and doing a school or event in a prototype or formula car would be fun. You may need a license first, but enduro type events might be of interest if you can find the right like-minded group of folks. (Lemons, chump, lucky dog, many more) You’d be able to split costs and spend a lot more of your one weekend driving.There was also a Baja race Cayenne thread in here not long ago that sounded like a lot of fun - there are lots of ways to have a great time and great experiences with your proposed budget and schedule.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:21 PM
ttcbj
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 116 Posts

Have you done any DE's since PSDS?
I have only done the PSDS. I agree that starting with a driving school seems logical. My concern was, is it leading anywhere given my budget. The comments above suggest:
  • There are rentals in my price range at VIR.
  • I might be able to rent a MX-5 Global Cup car, which I would fit in.
  • It looks like the EXR series has an arrive and drive option for 1 Practice + 1 qualifying + 2 sprint races for $5,500. However, it sort of looks like you have to sign up for all races (you cannot just do one race), so that won't work.

Originally Posted by PGas32
Can’t you just take your street car out for the one weekend a year you’re able to break free (sounds terrible, btw)?
I want the safety of a track prepped car. I read a thread on rennlist about someone hitting oil on the track and crashing (it was at Laguna Seca and led to the death of a track worker) -- it sounds like there is always the chance of a crash, no matter your skill level or level of caution. Also, I don't have time to haul the car to/from the track.

For a weekend a year it’s likely you’ll have trouble retaining a lot of what you learn the next time you’re back.
Fair enough. I was hoping to combine real world experience with iracing/VR. We will see. The reality is, I cannot get away more than once a year for now (I have young children, among other things), so it is what it is.

Thanks again for all the ideas, I definitely have more avenues to pursue now.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:14 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, if I was willing to spend $5k per weekend to race a limited schedule I'd hit up rally schools like Dirt Fish and O'Neil. The Tuthill ice driving school looks awesome too. Spring Mountain has a school with Corvettes, I think they have Radical sports racers too. You could buy your way onto some well prepared enduro cars (chumpcar, lucky dog, etc). You could even do some off-road buggy stuff in Baja or Nevada. I've done a bunch of circuit racing and track days so my perspective might be different, but driving a bunch of different vehicles on different terrain sounds more exciting and memorable to me than a few spec miata weekends.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:08 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HMMM...

I was going to post a for sale ad but haven't had a chance...

Last year I bough a race prepped 1996 or so BMW z3 with a new aluminum trailer. Hope was my kids would like racing... they have ZERO interest... Its an almost Miata equivilent. I mention this as you are in ST. Louis, kind of close.

Dang cheap way to race or do DE... Let me know if you want more info. Will porbably be posting it soon.

Bo
Old 05-30-2019, 03:26 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

I echo another posters comments re 1 event/weekend a year is almost a waste. Either you are going to retain very little from event to event or you are not going to be able to keep it to one weekend a year and down the slope you go.

For $5K once a year, I'd stick to professional driving/racing schools.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:28 PM
conceptDawg
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I also put in a ditto for the above. If it's just going to be one weekend a year then you should just plan on taking whatever streetcar you have and doing HPDEs. There's no way you are ready to do SCCA/NASA/PCA race school without putting in multiple events a year before that point (and you'll have to put in more to get/keep the license anyway), so don't even think about that right now. I've seen all kinds of unexpected cars at HPDE weekends and everybody is having fun, regardless of the emblem on the front of the car. Toyota Camry? Sure. Honda Accord? Yep. The list goes on and on. And you're learning all of the same basics of race craft, just without the huge costs.

I know you said that the video was over a year ago but unless you've improved by VAST amounts you don't need to worry about renting race cars. Just enjoy time on track in whatever car you have access to (maybe not a minivan....but it's probably not unheard of) and improve your skills. If you really enjoy it you'll find yourself creating ways to do it more than once a year. Ask me how I know.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:05 PM
ttcbj
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 116 Posts

Op here.

but unless you've improved by VAST amounts
I haven't improved at all. In the past year, I have been (a) trying to convince myself that this is an impractical hobby, but (b) always lurking on this forum, and very occasionally re-watching my own video, remembering how much fun it was and wishing I could make it work.

There's no way you are ready to do SCCA/NASA/PCA race school without putting in multiple events a year before that point (and you'll have to put in more to get/keep the license anyway)
Thanks, I had assumed this was the next step, but realizing that it is not is helpful.

For $5K once a year, I'd stick to professional driving/racing schools.
Yes, this thread has pretty much convinced me of that as well. This:

for now I’d consider optimizing for emotional excitement and fun
Is actually what I am trying to do. The race car thing was for safety, not because I considered myself a great talent. I think the driving school adequately addresses the safety issue, and it is easy to find schools in my price range.

So, I think that is a good plan. Do one school a year for a few years, have fun, and then see if my time/budget allow DE/track days in the future.

Again, I really appreciate the help.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:47 PM
conceptDawg
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I didn't mean to discourage you in any way. The opposite actually. I want you to get out on track and start learning and having fun.

Sign up for the next DE weekend with what whatever you have (drop the seat in that Miata because you have one of the best cars to track). Best of all you'll get an in-car instructor and learn a ton.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:55 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

You can definitely find rental racers at a reasonable cost at many tracks. I rented a C5 Corvette race car at Daytona, a Porsche 944 at Road America, and a Spec Miata at Lime Rock Park. It is a fine way to get some track time at different tracks. But the problem with Rental racers is they are often “well used” cars and it takes a while to warm up to different cars. I much prefer to have a car that I am familiar with. There are also some great arrive and drive programs where you can get good quality cars, or even better have them maintain your car so you have a consistent car of known quality. It isn’t the cheapest route, but this isn’t a “budget friendly” hobby
Old 06-03-2019, 01:51 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Howdy all! It's been a few years since my last post but had to jump into this one: "Drivers Education" ("DE") is the ONLY way to learn if you are going enjoy racing and if you really have the bug and acumen to do this for a hobby, or actually want to race. Agree take the Miata to a DE event as a "novice" and you'll have an instructor who can help you learn how to drive a car on a track properly. All you need are brake pads and occasionally some tires, and learn how to maintain the car (simple stuff). DE is the safest because it's designed so you don't trade paint. Read upon DE events you can drive to. Drive the Miata to the track, be careful and learn. then you can start thinking about all the other stuff. BTW, I'm pretty sure few if any will rent to a "novice' anyway. Not likely a good idea. Get some track time in DE and revisit after you have some hours under your butt. :-)
Old 06-03-2019, 06:54 PM
CrazyFast
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd second the comment about driving schools if you're not yet ready to pony up in cost and time for your own car. Here's a link to my article about the different schools I've attended and my experience with HPDE: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...s-vs-hpde.html

One strong recommendation in terms of schools is Bertil Roos. Their 3 day school is $4,250, and their 2-day advanced school is $2,795. Pretty competitive rates considering it's fully arrive and drive with quite good instruction along with it. You can then progress into their race series, and only do as many races as you can afford / schedule.

There are multiple others as well depending on what cars you're looking to get into, and how much you're wanting to spend.

Quick Reply: Cost and Feasibility of Track Days without Car Ownership