Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost and Feasibility of Track Days without Car Ownership

Old 05-29-2019, 03:32 PM
ttcbj
Racer

Received 245 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Cost and Feasibility of Track Days without Car Ownership

I went to the PSDS about 1.5 years ago, and absolutely loved it (so much so that I made this embarrassing video:

After watching this forum, I've decided that I'm only comfortable doing track days in a car with a cage and a 6 point harness+HANS. I don't have the time or money to haul a track car around to different tracks, which leaves me with arrive & drive rentals as my only possibility. I'd be happy driving any safe car, it doesn't need to be high end.

My questions are: How feasible is it to get a safe, track prepped car for track days? If you do track rentals, how much do you spend, all in, on a typical arrive and drive weekend?

If the all-in cost (not including one-time purchases like HANS) for a track weekend is $5,000 or less, I could justify it. $10,000 or more, I should move on. In between, I'll have to think about it.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 05-29-2019, 03:59 PM
mobius911
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Does it have to be a Porsche? Your best bet might be a Spec Miata rented from an Arrive and Drive shop that is already going to NASA races. That's fairly common practice, and as the largest class nationally SM has the most availability. NASA race weekends include HPDE sessions and you could definitely run a caged Miata in them. Prices that I've seen are around $1000-1500 per day, maybe less if you go with an older Miata like a 1990. Here's an example with pricing in your region, although this one is assuming you're racing. Might be lower for HPDE? https://www.advanced-autosports.com/...s-arrive-drive

I'm not aware of a similar service for Porsches, but the local shops that support PCA racing would be a good source of info.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:12 PM
SkeerRacing
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Massive +1 to Mobius' thoughts. SM is without a doubt the best value per dollar. The true killers of any club racing are in SM, best place for a driver to learn.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:13 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Budget Rental has some cars. $100. buy extra brake pads. lol.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

I just finished a conversation with Kevin Anderson, principal of a PWC winning team, TechSport Racing, who is setting up shop at VIR.

For not much more than the daily Miata prices stated here, you could get a PRO race winning TC-class Subaru BRZ for the day on scrubs with one crew plus gas and crash damage deposit.

This is a car capable of going ten to fifteen seconds faster a lap than a good SM, but is extremely well balanced and very, very safe. You could beat up on a lot of cars in a DE with one of these.

There are also some BMWs, even Caymans and Radicals for rent down here (VIR) at the track for a broad range of prices, but in your target there are some good, safe, quick cars.

Just one data point.

So yes, you can do this. I see more and more folks doing arrive and drive.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-29-2019, 04:16 PM
ttcbj
Racer

It does not need to be a Porsche. Spec Miata may be challenging for me because I am 6'4". I actually own an ND Miata, and I don't fit in it with a helmet on and the top up. But a Spec Miata is worth a try. I know the recent Global MX-5 Cup cars are supposed to be OK for drivers up to 6' 4" tall.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:46 PM
mobius911
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Test fit one that has the drop floor kit installed. It's a common upgrade for Spec Miata.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:00 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,225 Likes on 1,573 Posts

Originally Posted by mobius911
Test fit one that has the drop floor kit installed. It's a common upgrade for Spec Miata.
+1

I'm 6 foot and 250 lbs (on a good day) and cannot fit in a Miata which doesn't have a drop floor.

When you rent, the big thing to understand is your liability if you damage that car. I rented a Miata once at Monticello Motor Club and a slight graze of the armco cost me $5k! That is an extreme example but you still have to know what you are getting involved in and if you can buy insurance.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:03 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You also have to rent a Miata with a new/better cage. I am 6'2" and even with a drop floor, if the cage is not pushing the boundaries I could not fit in the car safely.

Also, to drive a Miata fast you have to be pushing. Pushing = more likely to have an off track excursion. At LRP, it's always fun watching the club guys go out and spin their cars like frisbees. Fortunately the speeds are so low that they often do not hit anything.

In any event, as mentioned earlier, tons of other options available for rent (BRZ, E36, etc.) and with a $5k budget all in you should be well below that. It already costs $2k+ per weekend with tow costs, fuel, insurance, hotel, food, entry fees, etc. to bring your own car.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,395 Likes on 744 Posts

Yes, I am also 6-4, and fit in the current Global MX5 Cup easy peasy
Old 05-29-2019, 07:01 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Take the money you save and hire one of the Pro Coaches that responded here . It will be the best money you ever spent
Old 05-29-2019, 07:18 PM
ttcbj
Racer

First, thanks for all the helpful responses above.

Originally Posted by Steve113
Take the money you save and hire one of the Pro Coaches that responded here . It will be the best money you ever spent
Hire them to do what, exactly? I had assumed that my next step (prior to renting cars) was to do a 3-day "get your SCCA license course."

Another question I could have asked was, "If you went to the PSDS and loved it, what would you do next?" Buying a car and hauling it all over isn't an option for me, but other than that I am open to suggestions on how to experience more track driving (as long as the general long-term trend of expenses is less than $10K/year, hopefully closer to 5k). Right now, one weekend away from my family per year is about all I can manage in terms of time.

I hope that over the next decade, I will have more free time and money, but I don't want to go down this path unless I can at least do one weekend a year for about $5K, which was the original question (sounds like yes, that is feasible).
Old 05-29-2019, 07:22 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

If you decide to take it further there are a number of A&D race series available. Fly in and fly out, tracks across the country, equal cars. It’s not a bad way to go, and it’s easier to be fully honest about the costs.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:36 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

If your budget is $5k you can just buy a used racecar and just run it. Low end cars are a bargin. You want something faster than most cars you can buy a spec Corvette for 20k. If you look at hpde cars the buy is even cheaper with less required equipment. Want something slower look at all the bmws for sale on racejunk.com
Old 05-29-2019, 07:43 PM
SkeerRacing
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ttcbj
Hire them to do what, exactly?
To make sure no bad habits are instilled right away and to help guide you to have not only the fastest, but safest and most fun time you can have in motorsport. Having someone with you who's spent years learning the ins and outs of this circus will have years off learning and save years worth of hair.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cost and Feasibility of Track Days without Car Ownership