Sponsored by:

What's up with Chin?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 10:59 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Exactly right. And I’ll add that unless you’ve been chief, cook, and bottle washer for a DE program you can hardly imagine the misrepresentations that you get from some people when they present themselves. You have to err on the side of caution with unknown drivers.
^^^THIS^^^

It is comical what people will put in their resume. Trust but verify is a good stance. The consequences of putting someone unknown (and therefor unknown safe) in a fast run group with no actual eyes on them is not a safe policy for a DE club. Chin puts me in their intermediate run group at new tracks, and I instruct for them at 3 different tracks. It's a simple matter of asking for a check ride. I don't understand why people think it's the club's burden to know who they are. If you are a fast, courteous, and safe driver, prove it on the track. Trust me, Chin wants you to have a good time and come back for more crack.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:29 PM
Space Coast GT3
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 for Chin Track Days and the wonderful program they run. I think the world of Mark and Maria, as well as Jack, Bill, Jim. I have yet to meet Austin. Guess this means I need to quit reading about the track and book a weekend!
Old 05-01-2019, 12:42 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 97 Posts

I have always had very positive experiences with Chin - As a driver and as an instructor.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:41 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

The term check ride used a lot. What exactly does that entail? Is the check ride group specific so you have to hit some minimum lap time for red group or is this a safety check or what?
Old 05-01-2019, 08:31 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

They have a seasoned instructor either sit in the passenger seat or do a lead/follow to validate skill level.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:40 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,339 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Not only skill level, but awareness, courtesy, validation of stated experience, best execution of fundamental skills.

There is no “target time” at a track day event, the group can accommodate quite a variance, if EVERYONE is up to speed mentally, emotionally and above all, aware.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:28 AM
CrazyFast
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HPDE Guru
Mark here, COO of Chin Track Days...
Mark - Just wanted to say that you guys are awesome. By far the best DE events, with the best drivers across all run groups. I've never seen a train in Chin, and I think your format develops the most capable drivers by far.

As a personal note, I was recently moved up to Black run group by NNJR PCA at Lime Rock. Registered for a Chin event at Mid-Ohio (first time at the track), and will be running in Green to start. I'm perfectly fine with that, and if my pace and confidence picks up at the track, I'm sure they'll move me up quickly.

Looking forward to the event, and scheduling as much Chin time as possible this year!
Old 05-01-2019, 09:42 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,540 Likes on 2,581 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
They have a seasoned instructor either sit in the passenger seat or do a lead/follow to validate skill level.
… and worth noting that there are detailed written guidelines for the checkout instructors to follow, with many things evaluated: flag meanings, awareness of flag locations and displayed flags on track, passing, pace, car control, attitude, ability to take coaching, etc.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:45 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,832 Likes on 1,220 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyFast
Mark - Just wanted to say that you guys are awesome. By far the best DE events, with the best drivers across all run groups. I've never seen a train in Chin, and I think your format develops the most capable drivers by far.

As a personal note, I was recently moved up to Black run group by NNJR PCA at Lime Rock. Registered for a Chin event at Mid-Ohio (first time at the track), and will be running in Green to start. I'm perfectly fine with that, and if my pace and confidence picks up at the track, I'm sure they'll move me up quickly.

Looking forward to the event, and scheduling as much Chin time as possible this year!
You'll be lucky to make it out of Green with Chin.
Part of the signoff is to make sure you can keep pace with the other drivers in the run group you are looking to be in.
You cannot keep pace. You will not keep pace. You'll never keep pace. You suck.
How you got put into black with my home region (congrats on that by the way-nice achievement, and I'm glad you took my advice and got that checkout ride so we can run together again with NNJR) is beyond me. Did you pay off the CI that checked you out? Was he drunk? Did you slip a mickey into his coffee about a 1/2 hour before your checkout ride?
There's a Chin DE at Watkins coming up. I didn't register for it as I am at The Glen a bunch of days around that event,but we did that event a couple times including last season, and it was a flat out awesome 2 days. Worth every penny and every minute. Lemme know if you decide to do that one. Maybe I can shuffle the schedule around a bit. Lemme know.
Again, congrats on the move ito Black with NNJR. You still suck.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:52 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
How you got put into black with my home region (congrats on that by the way-nice achievement, and I'm glad you took my advice and got that checkout ride so we can run together again with NNJR) is beyond me. Did you pay off the CI that checked you out? Was he drunk? Did you slip a mickey into his coffee about a 1/2 hour before your checkout ride?.
Never under estimate the power of compromising photos
Old 05-01-2019, 10:12 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
Never under estimate the power of compromising photos
hehe....
Old 05-01-2019, 11:01 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

FYI- Chin contacted my buddy last night- he sent me a note saying I must have friends in high places, LOL! (Yeah, I can post stuff on forums with the best of them...)

Anyways, all good and Chin has shown a lot of class here, thumbs up!
Old 05-01-2019, 11:05 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by montoya
FYI- Chin contacted my buddy last night- he sent me a note saying I must have friends in high places, LOL! (Yeah, I can post stuff on forums with the best of them...)

Anyways, all good and Chin has shown a lot of class here, thumbs up!
Yes, class. Nice work.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:07 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Not only skill level, but awareness, courtesy, validation of stated experience, best execution of fundamental skills.

There is no “target time” at a track day event, the group can accommodate quite a variance, if EVERYONE is up to speed mentally, emotionally and above all, aware.
You DON'T necessarily need a screaming-fast car to run in the (for example) Red run group with Chin. A Mini will do just fine , BUT........
.........whether you have one or not, you DO need all that Peter mentions above, and, ideally not just for Chin but for ALL the groups you drive with.

The difference with Chin's Red group is that if a faster car is approaching you, you LET THEM BY.
Anywhere on the track.
Don't d*ck around, don't say "Oh, I'm not comfortable here, I'll let' em by on the next straight"....that's for the Blue or lower groups. Again, get them by you immediately.
Then they're by, and you both carry on. Until, in my case, they come around again Wash, rinse, repeat, as they say.

Works great.

And if you do it right, Jack B. won't have to "talk" with you

Gary

Last edited by gbuff; 05-01-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:10 PM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Another positive vote for Chin. I ran with Chin for the first time at their Road Atlanta event in February last year. As required, I provided my driving history and indicated that it was my first time at RA. I was assigned to their Solo/Yellow group to start the event. After two sessions, I found that I was carrying quite a bit of pace and frequently on the bumper of cars in my assigned run group. I spoke to one of the onsite event managers and he scheduled a check-out ride to the Blue run group in the first afternoon run. I got moved up to the Blue/Intermediate Solo group after that. Simple, straight-forward process. My check out instructor wanted to asses my control of the car, driving line/positioning and most importantly, he told me, situational awareness on track. Great guy.

I must say, the Blue group at Chin is a very fast group, there were a few GT4 Clubsport MRs and GT3 Cups, prepped C7 Corvette's and two Lamborghini 488s whom I gave prompt point-byes to (LOL) and many other cars that let me by. The track sessions flowed perfectly. Chin's system works. As a result, I ran with Chin again at WGI and had a great time. Chin is an outfit/organization that I have full confidence running with. Classy organization and very professional.

Quick Reply: What's up with Chin?