Sponsored by:

What's up with Chin?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 12:30 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Quite the opposite. Not uncommon to see hot shoes at Chin events at the major tracks like VIR, WG, Mid Ohio, COTA, etc. The format and standards of Chin events tend to work better for hot shoes than PCA, BMW, etc
+1000. Chin Events are FAR, FAR more valuable than any PCA (waste of time) or Club DE. Chin has always been very accommodating - they are the people worth getting to know.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:52 PM
djbeachem.ii
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If a driver wonders why they are being placed in specific run group all they need to do is ask the event manager in charge of the event, we are all easy to get ahold of since there are only 5 of us. The only correspondence we had with Montoya's friend was his first general inquiry on whether or not we allow SRF's to participate, which of course Chin does. In a subsequent email we cleared him to be 'Solo' as in Non-Instructed based on his years of experience, there was no mention in that email of which specific run group he would be in at VIR and if the driver assumed he would be in the Novice group that was on their own speculation.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:55 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Montoya, I am not being a hardass. Just a realist. Like it or not, this is how Chin rolls. Bitching about it here isn't productive, and doesn't help your friend. He should simply go, do Novice Solo for a session with a lead follow check out, and allow the process to work.
I don't think you're reading my posts completely, I said he was fine with a checkout ride. Also said that not knowing Chin, we couldn't be confident that would slot him in the right group. I also said I'm sure there are people like yourself that might help him get slotted in a more appropriate group. In any event, I'm not bitching and I also said to the rest of you who think I was, that I'm trying to understand and do now have a better perspective.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:57 PM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by djbeachem.ii
If a driver wonders why they are being placed in specific run group all they need to do is ask the event manager in charge of the event, we are all easy to get ahold of since there are only 5 of us. The only correspondence we had with Montoya's friend was his first general inquiry on whether or not we allow SRF's to participate, which of course Chin does. In a subsequent email we cleared him to be 'Solo' as in Non-Instructed based on his years of experience, there was no mention in that email of which specific run group he would be in at VIR and if the driver assumed he would be in the Novice group that was on their own speculation.
It's another 3-sided story!

Hi Jack
Old 04-30-2019, 01:00 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by djbeachem.ii
OK, fair enough I didn't see any of the correspondence and he is extremely modest so it doesn't surprise me you didn't get the full picture. He did specifically say Novice Solo, so not sure how he would make that up, but anyways it does sound like things would have worked out fairly quickly.

Again, for the third time, we have no experience with Chin. Based on experience with other groups we just assumed if you start Novice Solo, there is no way in hell you are moving up to an expert group the same day. Others here have made clear that's not the case with Chin, but we had no reference. Thanks again for reaching out.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:05 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Based on experience with other groups we just assumed if you start Novice Solo, there is no way in hell you are moving up to an expert group the same day.
I've moved people from novice instructed to advanced in one day! Why, the person does not list any experience on clubreg, shows up, and does not say anything until they get in the car with the instructor. Once we hash out the specifics, it's just a matter of a check ride. YMMV.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:19 PM
djbeachem.ii
Advanced

OK, fair enough I didn't see any of the correspondence and he is extremely modest so it doesn't surprise me you didn't get the full picture. He did specifically say Novice Solo, so not sure how he would make that up, but anyways it does sound like things would have worked out fairly quickly.

Again, for the third time, we have no experience with Chin. Based on experience with other groups we just assumed if you start Novice Solo, there is no way in hell you are moving up to an expert group the same day. Others here have made clear that's not the case with Chin, but we had no reference. Thanks again for reaching out.
Always happy to help, and hope you and your friend are able to join us at the track in the future.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:44 PM
HPDE Guru
Advanced

Mark here, COO of Chin Track Days. 'Preciate the numerous commenters here that validate our typical driver screening steps. My colleague Jack, posting above, has pointed out that the driver in question was not ever assigned to a run group, nor was he told that he would be classified as 'novice/solo'. He did receive a standard response email, notifying him that he was eligible to register as a solo driver, with no novice restriction. However, no registration was ever received. The driver in question indicated that he had no prior experience at VIR, it should be noted . Chin Track Days is fortunate to be in our 20th year of track events, and we've had over 80,000 entries since 1999. That has led us to adopt some routine screening steps and driver classification protocols. We're well aware that there is no "one-size-fits-all" model when it comes to run-group assignments. We have a full-time event management team who are all experienced at evaluating drivers, and making educated guestimates about which run group may be suitable. Had the driver in question signed-up to participate at VIR, what might have actually happened is likely very different than what was assumed. Side note, my buddy Randy Pobst tests with us routinely, since Chin is the #1 provider of track events at Road Atlanta, Randy's home. Usually, when he's running his 'Happy Moose' Volvo lemons car, it's his choice to drive in our 'novice/solo' group . . Chin Track Days makes this recommendation: if a driver has a question about run-group classification, that should be taken directly to our easily accessible staff. We usually do not make run group assignments based on recommendations from internet forums. Email or phone us:
http://chintrackdays.com/contact-us.aspx
Old 04-30-2019, 01:52 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HPDE Guru
Mark here, COO of Chin Track Days. 'Preciate the numerous commenters here that validate our typical driver screening steps. My colleague Jack, posting above, has pointed out that the driver in question was not ever assigned to a run group, nor was he told that he would be classified as 'novice/solo'. He did receive a standard response email, notifying him that he was eligible to register as a solo driver, with no novice restriction. However, no registration was ever received. The driver in question indicated that he had no prior experience at VIR, it should be noted . Chin Track Days is fortunate to be in our 20th year of track events, and we've had over 80,000 entries since 1999. That has led us to adopt some routine screening steps and driver classification protocols. We're well aware that there is no "one-size-fits-all" model when it comes to run-group assignments. We have a full-time event management team who are all experienced at evaluating drivers, and making educated guestimates about which run group may be suitable. Had the driver in question signed-up to participate at VIR, what might have actually happened is likely very different than what was assumed. Side note, my buddy Randy Pobst tests with us routinely, since Chin is the #1 provider of track events at Road Atlanta, Randy's home. Usually, when he's running his 'Happy Moose' Volvo lemons car, it's his choice to drive in our 'novice/solo' group . . Chin Track Days makes this recommendation: if a driver has a question about run-group classification, that should be taken directly to our easily accessible staff. We usually do not make run group assignments based on recommendations from internet forums. Email or phone us:
http://chintrackdays.com/contact-us.aspx
Really appreciate the background information!! The power of Rennlist is amazing- to reiterate I told my friend I was confident that since it was Chin and they had a good reputation I was confident that networking here would get it sorted out. Sure enough we have two people from Chin in this thread giving us a full explanation and further background info on the registration. Thanks again for reaching out, it's been very informative and will be stored in my memory banks if and when I ever go to a Chin event back east- I have a good understanding of what to expect and how it works.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:53 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

This thread makes me want to run with Chin even more. It's on my bucket list to do. I like the extra vetting and the fact that people are placed in a more thorough and consistent basis.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
This thread makes me want to run with Chin even more. It's on my bucket list to do. I like the extra vetting and the fact that people are placed in a more thorough and consistent basis.
+1

It makes for a consistently positive experience, I have found
Old 04-30-2019, 04:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Our top times are just 2 seconds off what Randy Pobst does at Laguna or Big Willow in the current gen GT3. Yes there is speed difference in cornering (much faster) versus straights, but we are often thrown into practice with Trans Am and P1 cars so we are used to it.
I’ll just add that East Coast tracks are a little different.

I have pole time data from Gen3 cars at VIR and data for Randy in the newest street GT3RS. The differential here is between eight and twelve seconds per lap... in Randy’s favor. The cornering speeds are different but not substantially.

Chin Red group at VIR typically starts at Gen3 pole time and can be up to twenty seconds a lap
faster, with LMP3 and TA cars running here.

No question a well driven Gen3 is not a slow car, but you cited times, so fair game!

Just another data point.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:11 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,001 Posts

I have run in a few of Chin events. Hey Jim. Hey Jack.

Chin is one of the best track day formats hands down. Almost too much track time, if that's a "thing". (I know, blasphemy).

My first Chin event was at NJMP or maybe WGI, and I was somewhat "vetted" when I got there.

I never did get a checkout ride, but they based putting me in a solo run group based on my track experience and my number of days at that particular track.

I was def put in the right run group.

Chin is awesome. More expensive than a DE, but less people on track and much more track time.

Chin is a great group to run with.

What's even better is that Jack is usually on track with the rental car he gets for the event. I think it's Jack.

Chin is good people and great times for sure...
Old 04-30-2019, 06:30 PM
HPDE Guru
Advanced

Originally Posted by dgrobs
I have run in a few of Chin events. Hey Jim. Hey Jack.

Chin is one of the best track day formats hands down. Almost too much track time, if that's a "thing". (I know, blasphemy).

Chin is awesome. More expensive than a DE, but less people on track and much more track time.

Chin is a great group to run with.

What's even better is that Jack is usually on track with the rental car he gets for the event. I think it's Jack.

Chin is good people and great times for sure...
'Preciate the kind comments!
We will neither confirm nor deny that Chin staff does/does not make laps in airport rental cars... (a reminder of the difference between "drive fast" and "buy fast")
Old 04-30-2019, 09:21 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Agreed that Chin is awesome - IMO, the BEST!

Chin registration cost may be higher than PCA, BMW, etc., but when you consider the cost per hour of seat time (2 Chin days equals about 4 PCA or BMW days), much less time sitting around, and the savings resulting from less days away from home/work and less hotel cost, I think Chin is actually a better value than other organizations.

Quick Reply: What's up with Chin?