Sponsored by:

Mid Ohio facility improvements

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 11:31 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Do the birds and squirrels still cr@p on your car in the garages?
Yes.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:33 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
It's bees now
Yes--they will drill holes in you

But despite it all, I will be back there in a few weeks 'cos it's such a cool f***ing track
Old 06-16-2019, 12:00 PM
Burger
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

With as bad as the driver's side infrastructure is there, it's clear they couldn't give a damn about us. Track surface is failing, Paddock can barely hear the PA system. Garages are dilapidated. Garage bathrooms are a step down from the porta-potties. Now we have to deal with dirt and rocks?

I keep hearing how great Pitt Race is....not much further than Mid O. Hrm.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:09 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 561 Posts

PittRace is my home track. I love the mid oh circuit but agree facilities could improve.

Pittrace is well worth the drive. It’s become a destination. I would only make the trip for the full 2.8 mile circuit if driving any distance.
Bathrooms are much nicer than mid oh, WGI, Mosport...

Pittrace circuit is fun, challenging, and well maintained. The owners are racers and understand and appreciate what makes a great experience.
(They also own half of VIR).

(of course I can only reference the ladies bathroom as I have zero experience with the men’s facilities)
Old 06-16-2019, 09:18 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage

(of course I can only reference the ladies bathroom as I have zero experience with the men’s facilities)
The men's bathrooms at PittRace are very nice, and are even air conditioned.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by Burger
With as bad as the driver's side infrastructure is there, it's clear they couldn't give a damn about us. Track surface is failing, Paddock can barely hear the PA system. Garages are dilapidated. Garage bathrooms are a step down from the porta-potties.
Such a shame. When Marjorie owned it, it was a showcase. I remember the new paving and it was incredible. I don’t think Green has spent any money on the place since they bought it... a damned shame.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:54 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 561 Posts

Yes - ladies’ room also has A/C. Forgot about that.

I think the bathrooms at the end of the Event Center (top of hill overlooking front straight and part of original
development ) don’t have A/C and are a little more “basic” but still much nicer than Mid OH bathrooms.

It’s a great circuit with elevation changes, blind corners, esses, technical sections and some higher speed sections.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:32 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Those are large scale bird houses that you can park your car in. They will always have birds with the current design... I still love the place and am looking forward to going back next year.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:02 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

I didn't have any issue with bird crap last week, but there was saw dust all over the floor and my car from the Carpenter Bumble Bees. Last Oct I mistakenly left a bag of trail mix out overnight. The next morning it was opened and the only thing left was the coconut...….picky squirrels.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:09 AM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

i have been coming to MO since 2003 and the only thing that has changed is the new showers near the maintenance building. the track has gotten better worse better worse but the grounds are worse than in the past. The upper grass paddock was all rutted up from the pro race earlier this year. There is not nearly enough paved parking. It would be nice to see some ground improvement.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:40 PM
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Such a shame. When Marjorie owned it, it was a showcase. I remember the new paving and it was incredible. I don’t think Green has spent any money on the place since they bought it... a damned shame.
In the early '70s all the tracks that IMSA went to were rough. If I recall...We had garages at Daytona, open sheds at Talladega, Charlotte, Riverside, Ontario and Pocono. Laguna, Sears, Mid Ohio, Sebring, Lime Rock, Road Atlanta, Mosport, Watkins Glenn, Brainerd and Mid America had mostly dirt paddocks, no cover, with some paved areas. There was always a battle for the best parking spots. All the tracks had bad restrooms and concession stands. Don't remember showers anywhere. The best weekend was always Lime Rock where we could escape to the Interlaken Inn. The worst place by far was Sebring. Our usual race paddock set up was 4' x 8' sheets of plywood laid down between our trailer and motor home. Miserable conditions, but I don't remember many complaints.
I got to go back to Sebring for their 50th anniversary and I couldn't believe the changes and how nice everything was. I also went to Laguna for Rennsport last year and barely recognized the place. What an improvement, except for the track. The should have left turns 2 & 3 like they were originally. Very challenging. Same for Sebring. On the old 5.2 mile track, turn 1 was special as were the long straights.
Everything considered...I think racers today have it pretty good.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by 9114609048
In the early '70s all the tracks that IMSA went to were rough.

Everything considered...I think racers today have it pretty good.
Perspective... Thanks, George!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-18-2019, 02:46 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Perspective... Thanks, George!
Yes but in the 70s AC in your car was optional. You were a big spender if you bought a car with "factory air". Now air conditioning is a "right".
Old 06-18-2019, 04:50 PM
Burger
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Mid Ohio still has pitting in the grass, for bigger events. A lot of the smaller tracks do, too. For me, the issue is that other tracks are always improving and upping their game. Along with that, the prices are going up. At Mid Ohio, the prices have gone way up....but they're not really justifying it. I think the restrooms take you back in time to the 70s, actually.

Wonder what a track day cost back in the 70s.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:03 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Burger
Mid Ohio still has pitting in the grass, for bigger events. A lot of the smaller tracks do, too. For me, the issue is that other tracks are always improving and upping their game. Along with that, the prices are going up. At Mid Ohio, the prices have gone way up....but they're not really justifying it. I think the restrooms take you back in time to the 70s, actually.

Wonder what a track day cost back in the 70s.
I think the entry fee for an SCCA national was $35.

Quick Reply: Mid Ohio facility improvements