Do people race base model Porsches?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 09:24 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
My base GT4 with almost no options runs pretty well.

924: None More Base.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:22 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I’ll add that this question shows a fundamental lack of understanding of organized wheel to wheel competition.

If you run donkeys against donkeys, and thoroughbreds against thoroughbreds, it’s likely to be a good race. They are not competing against each other, even though they may be combined on track at the same time.
I think I'd prefer mules as a simile to asses but we're not stubborn, we're tenacious.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:41 AM
wisstx
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by mhm993
I think the OP confuses "going fast" with racing,
Nope. By racing I mean heavy acceleration with extreme braking and maximizing suspension in turns for a extended length of time. Not confused with 100+ mph on a straight section of highway for 10 seconds.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:51 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Yeah, that's not racing...

This is racing, with a "base" model Porsche...
Old 04-23-2019, 07:13 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by wisstx
Nope. By racing I mean heavy acceleration with extreme braking and maximizing suspension in turns for a extended length of time. Not confused with 100+ mph on a straight section of highway for 10 seconds.
Now I’m sure you’re confusing going fast with racing.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:19 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Not sugar wood but I’m curious to what questions he/she asked in the past!
Im going to have to do a search!

I bought a base 2016 cayenne as my first ever Porsche. Very happy with the car and it’s base capabilities. Here in Texas, in Dallas, there’s not much use for me with a gts or turbo s. (Lack of driving skills, it could get away from me).

I’m interested in possibly upgrading rotors and brakes but don’t want to cause issues as Porsche owners seem to keep the cars pure with no after market parts. True? Just from what I read it appears that way. It makes sense that if a car is well engineered you can loose some of that “engineering” when you introduce aftermarket parts.

This is by far one of the most ignorant threads I have ever had the misfortune to read in this forum.. good job, the bar is pretty high! Is the Cayenne SUV forum boring to troll?
Old 04-29-2019, 03:09 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 71 Posts

Racing is sanctioned competition in a race car. You’re just talking about high performance driving in any car.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:24 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

The Cayenne is the top selling Porsche and it comes in versions with the large/fast engines. This makes me pause a bit because like you, it does NOT seem like a track car compared to other Porsche models; but they outfit it like it is.
Im not sure of the reasoning in the USA to buy a Cayenne with maxed out engine, upgraded brakes, etc. maybe an S, okay. But a Turbo S Cayenne? As another poster stated: not many Cayennes on the tracks these days...
My original question was answered a few posts ago. Proper care and maintenance will make all the difference even more so than the trim line...

Quick Reply: Do people race base model Porsches?