Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcD147
Gtc3 is the biggest class amongst the cup cars this year
Isn't that great? What a resurgence!
Old 05-20-2019, 12:28 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts
Default No tone intended, just the bigger picture.

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I think you need to read the thread better before you set out on this tone.

I've spent a lot of time, and so have others, having multiple conversations with the race chair to find what is best. Accordingly, it's not "what's in it for me" or I want it my way.
@LuigiVampa - Not my intent to "sent a tone". I thoroughly enjoy reading your comments on this and many other threads. Just responding to the data analysis that enduro length, decline in racer attendance, and not listening to your customers is the "only" analysis a Chair has to weigh. A vote in a driver meeting is a great idea, I am all for open dialogue and feedback/input, but maybe a vote in the Volunteers meeting is also a great idea to get added views on staying late on Sunday to provide 70/90-min enduros to the Racers. There is no opportunity to Volunteer without Racers and the is no PCA Racing without non racer Volunteers. Yet this thread is only discussing one party to vote. Thus my observation that reducing the endure length to get volunteers home sooner has faded as the thread's focus on YoY data analysis and call for a driver vote. Volunteers tend not to read internet forums and comment, they just stop volunteering. A Chair planning an event doesn't just change an Enduro time on a whim, they are trying to solve many YoY issues. If shorter enduros leads to further Racer decline, yet another issue to address when it happens - which many other Club Race venues are already dealing with successfully, so not a show stopper that I have seen.

What is short sighted is not understanding that you need enough racers to pay the expenses of the day so that if you don't have enough the race becomes unprofitable and goes away. Car count is important.
Not shorted sighted here, in fact wider vision and experience of a current DE chair and former Club Race Chair aware of "all" the details that need to be solved to pull of a Race weekend. Don't assume a Racing weekend is more profitable than HPDEs, and for a volunteer Chair, the profit of a good HPDE weekend could be equal to or better than a Club Race weekend at many venues and an HPDE weekend is far less work for a Volunteer Chair then a Club Race weekend. But also profit is not the only motivation, so a reduced Race weekend schedule that requires less Volunteers may be perfectly fine for a non profit Club run by Volunteers. Car count to cover expenses can be achieved in many ways and may not be the only goal. There are multiple solutions to not enough Racers to pay the expenses, one is to reduce Race run groups and add in Advanced HPDE run groups which can also help with Volunteers (Sebring, Daytona, Road America). That in turn may allow for 90-min enduros (but less run groups), but with a different mix of classes. Maybe a good thing or a bad thing depending on where they snap the class line. Racers are free to vote with their feet, but Racers are not the only "people" to listen to or ask to vote from a Chair's perspective. It is a balancing act.

We are searching for a middle ground - not necessarily I want it my way. As someone who has volunteered for races before I started racing I understand what the volunteers do. As someone who races I understand how important they are. No lectures needed to understand the issues. I'm greatly appreciative for all volunteers.
Not questioning your appreciation for Volunteers, but maybe some insights are being overlooked as to the efforts Chairs go through to find Volunteers to stay to the end of day on Sunday. As in my previous comment, many Volunteers comment on having to stay to the bitter end on Sunday while we watch the Racers from earlier Enduros pack up and head home at lunch or mid day. I have not personally aware of early Enduro racers Volunteer to stay after the end of their Enduro and help out with race operations to free up 3-day volunteers (so some volunteers could go home early). Maybe there are a few doing this, and maybe a concerted effort by Enduro Racers to "pitch in" could be a win win to get back to 90-min Enduros and let some/many 3-day volunteers to get home earlier. Maybe a second show of hands in the drivers meeting to recruit Enduro Racers to volunteer after (or before) their Enduro to free up 3-day volunteers to leave early on Sundays.

Remember, we are all in this together. Life is short, now go have fun @ WGI and be safe out there!
Old 05-23-2019, 12:52 AM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

3 sprint run groups per latest schedule (4 in previous years IIRC) ==> time available for long sprint races (1 hr time slots)
218 cars on sprint roster as of 5/22

I'm guessing something like this:
75 - SPB, D, E, GT5, 44 Cup (split start)
70 - GTB1, SPC, SP996, GT4, F-K
73 - GT1-3, GTA2-3, GTC3-7, GTD1-2, GTB3

3 Enduro groups, 153 cars on roster as of 5/22, 1 hr 15 min time slots for each race

Link to schedule - https://clubregistration.net/club_ad...ulev7final.pdf

Last edited by M_Weining; 05-23-2019 at 12:49 PM. Reason: added link to schedule
Old 05-23-2019, 11:56 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by M_Weining
3 sprint run groups per latest schedule (4 in previous years IIRC) ==> time available for long sprint races (1 hr time slots)
218 cars on sprint roster as of 5/22

I'm guessing something like this:
75 - SPB, D, E, GT5, 44 Cup (split start)
70 - GTB1, SPC, SP996, GT4, F-K
73 - GT1-3, GTA2-3, GTC3-7, GTD1-2, GTB3

3 Enduro groups, 153 cars on roster as of 5/22, 1 hr 15 min time slots for each race
GTB3 will probably be with GTB1. Should have combined the Sunday warm-up and fitted three 90 min Enduro races. Just another thought.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:31 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

If recent past history is any indication, the weather Sunday will suck. (Remember the "fog-out" a few years ago?...)
That usually thins the Enduro fields.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:26 PM
rmag
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by M_Weining
So sprints are almost an hour and so is the enduro.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:35 AM
esscape26
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not attending this year but will watch, partly because of the 60-minute enduro. I think what's fun about an enduro is sharing a car with others, which I have been fortunate to do about 6-7 times in other types of cars or similar cars to mine that were set up differently. It really gives you a different perspective, (such as how slow or fast you really might be), and it's a lot more fun and rewarding than doing it all yourself. I am not sure why that is the goal of the enduro!

I think the second sprint has hurt the enduro. I was also looking at old schedules and notes of ours to write a small historical article about the Bridge, and I can tell that we are more rushed, have less time to make repairs than in the past, and tires often don't make it. One thing that is really apparent is the lack of families, couples and friends sharing cars in the enduro. It's a way for younger people to race with parents (perhaps without starting and wrecking the family racecar on the green flags ), which is really cool and needed for the future of the sport.

Definitely feel like less camaraderie as a result.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:41 AM
esscape26
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I also want to add that I do think more practice would help many, including those who are new at a track, rather than that second sprint. Racing is a different style, like the mindset of being on a stage and going for it, and this mindset can hurt learning, which is better done off stage, if that makes any sense. Always a fan of the additional qualifying session for the enduro.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:58 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by esscape26
I am not attending this year but will watch, partly because of the 60-minute enduro. I think what's fun about an enduro is sharing a car with others, which I have been fortunate to do about 6-7 times in other types of cars or similar cars to mine that were set up differently. It really gives you a different perspective, (such as how slow or fast you really might be), and it's a lot more fun and rewarding than doing it all yourself. I am not sure why that is the goal of the enduro!

I think the second sprint has hurt the enduro. I was also looking at old schedules and notes of ours to write a small historical article about the Bridge, and I can tell that we are more rushed, have less time to make repairs than in the past, and tires often don't make it. One thing that is really apparent is the lack of families, couples and friends sharing cars in the enduro. It's a way for younger people to race with parents (perhaps without starting and wrecking the family racecar on the green flags ), which is really cool and needed for the future of the sport.

Definitely feel like less camaraderie as a result.
Although I have never shared my car during an enduro, I like that it can be done and have not ruled it out.

Originally Posted by esscape26
I also want to add that I do think more practice would help many, including those who are new at a track, rather than that second sprint. Racing is a different style, like the mindset of being on a stage and going for it, and this mindset can hurt learning, which is better done off stage, if that makes any sense. Always a fan of the additional qualifying session for the enduro.
I agree that practice is important but generally there is a DE event or David Murray Track Day before many races and that is a good time to get that in. I would hate to reduce the amount of racing in favor of more practice.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:34 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

I agree that practice is important but generally there is a DE event or David Murray Track Day before many races and that is a good time to get that in. I would hate to reduce the amount of racing in favor of more practice.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:35 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Long range forecast looking good.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:36 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
+2 Plenty of opportunity to practice prior to race weekend, wouldn't want to give up a Saturday sprint for another practice.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:37 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Long range forecast looking good.
Hush yourself! Don't start the announcers curse
Old 05-24-2019, 10:40 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Hush yourself! Don't start the announcers curse
+1

My wife: I can't believe we haven't hit any traffic.

<dead stop traffic five minutes later>

EVERY F-ING TIME!!!
Old 05-24-2019, 10:46 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

+1

My wife: I can't believe we haven't hit any traffic.

<dead stop traffic five minutes later>

EVERY F-ING TIME!!!
Ha!! Then you just look over at them slowly with REALLY??? written all over your face
Not to mention a certain someone who shall remain nameless (but drives a white 777 Martini livery Cayman) is probably doing a rain dance on their flight home from China right now!@!

Quick Reply: Clash at the Glen