Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10/10ths

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 04:09 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Interesting classification ProCoach ! And a clear indication I still have a loooooooooooong way to go and much things to learn :-)
Old 04-12-2019, 06:23 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Practice, quali, racing - if not at 10/10ths I am bored.
Can't stand doing DE anymore.
If not someone as faster or faster out there with me I lose interest, wonder to myself "wtf am I doing here? this sucks wasting time and money."
Need a rabbit to chase. Or being chased... Need a battle.
Yeah, I can go 11/10ths for the whole race. Lol
Old 04-12-2019, 08:44 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Knew it was only a matter of time before we got a Spinal Tap reference.
These are louder. They go up to 11.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:59 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyFast
10/10ths driving is using 100% of the track, car, and traction through 100% of the course. This would meaning you're 1) driving the perfect line for your platform 2) at the limit through entry, mid-corner, and exit of every corner 3) leaving absolutely no room for error
I think this is basically correct. There's such a thing as the limit of the car, which is 10/10ths. No driver can get 10/10ths out of a car, but of course the best pros can get very close. A 10/10ths lap will have optimal inputs along an optimal line to get everything possible out of the tires and engine and produce minimal lap time. The optimal inputs/line can change somewhat from one lap to another due to changes in the car (especially tires) and track conditions. It all comes down to physics.

These books provide the best explanation I've seen of what 10/10ths means and how to achieve it (some drivers can get close to 10/10ths through experience and intuition, without consciously having much understanding of the physics of why what they're doing is nearly optimal):

https://www.amazon.com/Paradigm-Shift-Driver-Development/e/B017MREQQM?ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1&qid=1555070142&sr=1-1 https://www.amazon.com/Paradigm-Shift-Driver-Development/e/B017MREQQM?ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1&qid=1555070142&sr=1-1
Old 04-12-2019, 09:41 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Practice, quali, racing - if not at 10/10ths I am bored.
Can't stand doing DE anymore.
If not someone as faster or faster out there with me I lose interest, wonder to myself "wtf am I doing here? this sucks wasting time and money."
Need a rabbit to chase. Or being chased... Need a battle.
Yeah, I can go 11/10ths for the whole race. Lol
I still love doing DE for the simple reason that I view it as a social event.

When I first started driving on track I treated DEs like racing and would get red mist if someone held me up or didn't give me a point-by fast enough. Now I am out there to have fun.

If I can hook up with a buddy in a similar car, and swap places so we learn, there is still some value in that.

Plus, without the pressure of a race and qualifying the atmosphere and stress level is zero. I still love doing DE for that reason. Its like a vacation!
Old 04-12-2019, 09:51 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

10/10 every minute every day baby
Old 04-12-2019, 09:52 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa

When I first started driving on track I treated DEs like racing and would get red mist if someone held me up or didn't give me a point-by fast enough. Now I am out there to have fun.

If I can hook up with a buddy in a similar car, and swap places so we learn, there is still some value in that.

Plus, without the pressure of a race and qualifying the atmosphere and stress level is zero. I still love doing DE for that reason. Its like a vacation!
Perfectly said. Cat and mouse on the track with a buddy is about the most fun I've ever had with my pants on....
Old 04-12-2019, 10:04 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
From my website:

“Tenths,” and their appropriate use on the track...

When I describe "tenths,” or the system of assigning a relative speed, level of concentration or demonstration of car physics on-track to someone, it usually follows these definitions.

3/10 is driving on a flat, straight and level road with no distractions.

4/10 is driving on a gently curving Interstate with low traffic density at a higher rate of speed than at 3/10.

5/10 is driving quickly, but efficiently and at the speed limit on the street, more concentration required due to more "hazards" present.

6/10 is a standard DE lap or an out lap early on in a race weekend, for me. The purpose may be to re-familiarize myself with the race track, enjoy a relaxed lap or just "cruise" around and, in particular, designed to take NOTHING out of the car. This is also the level of driving quickly on the Interstate with a fair bit of traffic at higher speeds.

7/10 is a more aggressive DE level, designed to begin to "move the car around" and just a little more taxing on the car. Also, 7/10 can be an out lap later on in a race weekend, usually the result of greater confidence and familiarity. Relatively wide variation in lap time depending on traffic and concentration.

8/10 is an easily sustained level, requiring high levels of concentration, generally attained after the first few laps of a race or enduro when the dust settles and you slide into driving quickly and accurately, but are not locked in a battle that is external to you and your car. The car is sliding, but only at the beginning or the end of a corner and not at all corners and not on all laps. Generally laps are within .8-1.5 seconds apart and relatively consistent. This is the level I am most comfortable taking people around the track. Plenty of "headroom" and margin for error or changeable track conditions.

9/10 is driving pretty hard, but is sustainable, repeatable and the driver is still relatively accurate in their placement of the car. The car is now sliding much of the time, the driver is focused on catching someone or staying ahead of someone but is maintaining control and discipline of their own mind and of the car. At this point, the driver is using most of the width of the road, but not much curbing, and is focusing on drawing large arcs with the path of the car. The rhythm is such that the lap times are generally within .2 -.8 seconds apart, barring traffic or mistakes. This is my limit for one or two "hot laps" with someone riding with me.

9.5/10 is driving hard. More sliding, slightly quicker laps still than at 9/10. Less margin for error, a lot more work being done by the car. The driver is now "guiding" the car on a path selected well in advance. The car is sliding from turn-in, through the apex and is using the entire width of the paved track, plus the inside curbs. Cannot generally be sustained for more than five or six laps. I would not drive a car at this level with a passenger in it...

10/10 is when the skill level of a substantially experienced and supremely confident driver meets the competence level of the car nearly perfectly. The car is sliding nearly the entire lap. Slip angles of 7-12 degrees (DOT radials, less on radial slicks) are sustained through the entire length of most of the corners. The entire width of the road, plus the inside and outside (if available) curbing or pavement extensions are used, every corner, every lap. The previous lap is at 9 or 9.5/10 so that the "hot" lap is started at the greatest possible speed and with the highest possible concentration.

Typically, I drive 10/10's for one or two qualifying laps and my first few laps of the race to build a "gap" to the rest of the competition. I also drive 10/10's to experiment with changes made to the car or to evaluate tires in practice, not to mention putting in a "flyer" to achieve the psychological advantage of being on or near the top of the time sheet <grin>.

I may not drive 10/10’s more than a few laps during the weekend, but I pick and choose the time to do it. I feel like the car and I are balanced on a tightrope and I am constantly making tiny little corrections to adjust it's trajectory, with each correction making a difference... I'm not sure this level can be sustained more than two or three laps at a time. In order to be successful at the highest level of most organized competition, you must be able to drive at this level.

11/10's is when your talent runs out! <very big grin>
I don't think much can be done to improve on this description. However, I feel like last year was a turning point for me in turns of learning to find time by being more patient (less tenths) vs trying to get to throttle as quickly possible and sometimes being out of position or inducing understeer or just having to back off on throttle for whatever reason (11/10ths?).

I guess I worry less about how many tenths that I drive and worry more about giving the car the precise inputs it needs basis where I am on the track. Balancing aggression and patience.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:29 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 758 Posts

Patience: slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Be calm and don't rush.

I learned this in previous career as an operator, and it is just as valid every single day on a racetrack
Old 04-12-2019, 11:22 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa

Agreed. It provides an opportunity to get away and spend time with friends who share a similar outlook on life, plus doing laps in a non-competition setting can be fun if you try to make a 'flow' experience. And there's also the teaching side of DE, which is its own kind of fun. Driving on track doesn't have to be about maximizing performance and winning.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:29 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Agreed. It provides an opportunity to get away and spend time with friends who share a similar outlook on life, plus doing laps in a non-competition setting can be fun if you try to make a 'flow' experience. And there's also the teaching side of DE, which is its own kind of fun. Driving on track doesn't have to be about maximizing performance and winning.
Yup, I still enjoy DE's for the same reasons both of you guys mention.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:30 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

ProCoach
That was a great read, your breakdown on the scale on 10ths.
Since watching more F1 recently, I am more respectful of the physical conditioning to drive at the intensity they do.
I was considering that as you moved up the scale past 8/10ths.
The quality of the inboard cameras on the F1 cars, allow us to appreciate the physical and mental drain over the course of many laps.
From that and my limited track days, I can see the P&M drain on a driver is exponential and not a straight percentage as the 10ths increase.
-David

Last edited by NYoutftr; 04-12-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:55 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks ProCoach
Old 04-13-2019, 03:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,847 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I guess I worry less about how many tenths that I drive and worry more about giving the car the precise inputs it needs based where I am on the track. Balancing aggression and patience.
Good point and a great goal.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:59 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

I think 10/10ths is as much an attitude as anything--Friday at Mid-O in the pouring rain I was out there all day trying my absolute best to get that car around that deathtrap with pace. Ten-tenths in my brain helped do the trick in this instance; toughest part was to tell myself that, though I was going well, to not even THINK about 10.1/10ths

And when the sun finally broke through at day's end with a largely dry track, all that attitude and work paid off in spades as myself and all my fellow rain-drivers went like hell to cap off a very rewarding day (of course, celebrated post-track with ice cream )

As they say, mind over matter......

Gary

Last edited by gbuff; 04-13-2019 at 10:14 PM.

Quick Reply: 10/10ths