Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 12:39 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by slimlynn1
Nothing worse than a slow F car!
I'll see you your slow F car and raise you a J car that parks it in the corners and then motors away on every straight!
Old 04-24-2019, 01:50 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
how is competitiveness addressed?
Originally Posted by Fumes
classing info is available in the 19 rule book, but honestly they don’t seem too concerned about it...too focused on all the fun they are having!!
Yep there are classes, but the focus is more on racing the vintage car you have with fun, clean, and respectful racing for all the cars.

Race the cars around you and enjoy being able to race these wonderful cars realizing they are expensive to repair.

Typically have three (3) thirty minutes sprint races each weekend. No enduros.

Links for more info:
https://pcaclubracing.org/vintage/
https://pcaclubracing.org/wp-content...cing-Rules.pdf (page 66)

excerpt from rules:

Eligible models: Only 1989 or older air cooled (356, 911, 912, or 914) Porsches (excluding 1989 964). Year legal 911 tubs, (’89 and older) must have period correct body work.

Drivers of cars with modern bodywork are welcome to apply to compete in the VGTU and VGTO classes. Those cars will be evaluated by the Vintage Competition Committee. Send requests (with photos) to Vintage Coordinator Fred Pfeiffer at fpfeiffer@atlanticbb.net

1. Classes:
V4O for four-cylinder over 2.0L
V4U for four-cylinder under 2.0L
VO for six-cylinder over 2.4L
VU for six-cylinder under 2.4L
VGTO for high winged and or aero bodied (Sheridan, AIR body kits) cars over 3.0L
VGTU for high winged and or aero bodied (Sheridan, AIR body kits) cars under 3.0L

2. Performance: Air cooled engine displacement is open, subject to the six class criteria. Cars must, at a minimum, be eligible
to run in PCA Club Racing. Tires are free.

3. Practice and Sprint Run groups: The Vintage Group will run in separate, Vintage only, sessions. Races will be 30 minutes or less.

4. National Championship points are not available for Vintage Group races.

Questions about classing or other rules should be directed to Vintage Coordinator Fred Pfeiffer using form on this page: https://pcaclubracing.org/vintage/
Old 04-24-2019, 02:30 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
That's impressive for a new group! I'm sure this was explained somewhere before, but are there classes within this Vintage Group or is it a single class with all pre-89 911's together regardless of weight, HP, or mods? In other words, how is competitiveness addressed?
I don't think competitiveness is really a concern. Just fun with relatively less risk.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:48 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by M_Weining
Yep there are classes, but the focus is more on racing the vintage car you have with fun, clean, and respectful racing for all the cars.

Race the cars around you and enjoy being able to race these wonderful cars realizing they are expensive to repair.

Typically have three (3) thirty minutes sprint races each weekend. No enduros.

Links for more info:
https://pcaclubracing.org/vintage/
https://pcaclubracing.org/wp-content...cing-Rules.pdf (page 66)

excerpt from rules:

Eligible models: Only 1989 or older air cooled (356, 911, 912, or 914) Porsches (excluding 1989 964). Year legal 911 tubs, (’89 and older) must have period correct body work.

Drivers of cars with modern bodywork are welcome to apply to compete in the VGTU and VGTO classes. Those cars will be evaluated by the Vintage Competition Committee. Send requests (with photos) to Vintage Coordinator Fred Pfeiffer at fpfeiffer@atlanticbb.net

1. Classes:
V4O for four-cylinder over 2.0L
V4U for four-cylinder under 2.0L
VO for six-cylinder over 2.4L
VU for six-cylinder under 2.4L
VGTO for high winged and or aero bodied (Sheridan, AIR body kits) cars over 3.0L
VGTU for high winged and or aero bodied (Sheridan, AIR body kits) cars under 3.0L

2. Performance: Air cooled engine displacement is open, subject to the six class criteria. Cars must, at a minimum, be eligible
to run in PCA Club Racing. Tires are free.

3. Practice and Sprint Run groups: The Vintage Group will run in separate, Vintage only, sessions. Races will be 30 minutes or less.

4. National Championship points are not available for Vintage Group races.

Questions about classing or other rules should be directed to Vintage Coordinator Fred Pfeiffer using form on this page: https://pcaclubracing.org/vintage/
Wait, tires are free as in slicks are allowed? That would be interesting to try!!
Old 04-24-2019, 02:57 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

So this adds six new PCA classes. Were there complaints that there are not enough PCA CR classes and that class fields were too large? How is regular, "non-vintage" PCA club racing less fun or riskier than vintage group racing?
Old 04-24-2019, 04:47 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
So this adds six new PCA classes. Were there complaints that there are not enough PCA CR classes and that class fields were too large? How is regular, "non-vintage" PCA club racing less fun or riskier than vintage group racing?
I have participated in 3 PCA Vintage Group Race weekends (9 races) and what I have experienced is a much more aware and considerate group of racers who appreciate these older cars and understand the high cost to repair and hence race with a bit more conservatism then I have seen in the regular PCA races. Just as Regular PCA racers are generally more conservative then those racing in the Profession Porsche Super Cup races. It comes down to mind set, priorities.

Frank 993 C4S summarised nicely in this thread: "Great like minded people with good experience levels (guess vintage also refers to the drivers), taking care of each other at the track. A class with a minimal compliance system with no bickering about the rules (there are virtually none) and other than breakdowns, no incidences."

So far the PCA Vintage Group series has been very successful at getting many retired PCA racecars and racers back out racing in addition to attracting racers from other vintage series and some new racers who want to race vintage air-cooled Porsches. The series is growing with more race weekends and more participation each year since it started in 2016. It has also help increase overall event participation at several locations. Further, those watching the races have seemed to really like seeing more older Porsche's out racing.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:10 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

I have participated in 3 PCA Vintage Group Race weekends (9 races) and what I have experienced is a much more aware and considerate group of racers who appreciate these older cars and understand the high cost to repair and hence race with a bit more conservatism then I have seen in the regular PCA races. Just as Regular PCA racers are generally more conservative then those racing in the Profession Porsche Super Cup races. It comes down to mind set, priorities.

Frank 993 C4S summarised nicely in this thread: "Great like minded people with good experience levels (guess vintage also refers to the drivers), taking care of each other at the track. A class with a minimal compliance system with no bickering about the rules (there are virtually none) and other than breakdowns, no incidences."

So far the PCA Vintage Group series has been very successful at getting many retired PCA racecars and racers back out racing in addition to attracting racers from other vintage series and some new racers who want to race vintage air-cooled Porsches. The series is growing with more race weekends and more participation each year since it started in 2016. It has also help increase overall event participation at several locations. Further, those watching the races have seemed to really like seeing more older Porsche's out racing.
And here I thought it was safer because you kept the SPB's out!
Old 04-24-2019, 06:33 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
And here I thought it was safer because you kept the SPB's out!
What, heck no, those SPB racers always leave lots of room for each other.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:11 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

So where are all the 944 cup cars? We've got 18 SPBs but only 10 SPs. It should be a blast, especially with rain on Fri shuffling the field for Sat but a split start would have been even more fun.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:51 PM
will968
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
So where are all the 944 cup cars? We've got 18 SPBs but only 10 SPs. It should be a blast, especially with rain on Fri shuffling the field for Sat but a split start would have been even more fun.
It's not a bad showing for 944. Practice will be a s-show, but guess who just bought some Hoosier rains Now I need to get them mounted in time
Old 04-24-2019, 11:09 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by will968
It's not a bad showing for 944. Practice will be a s-show, but guess who just bought some Hoosier rains Now I need to get them mounted in time
Could be with you guys flying by on Hoosier rains while we slip slide away on Toyos. The speed differential at Summit when it was pouring was huge.

Edit: The forcast now says 70% chance on Sat too. Gonna be a wet, cold but fun weekend.

Last edited by sbelles; 04-24-2019 at 11:45 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:53 PM
will968
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

The forcast now says 70% chance on Sat too. Gonna be a wet, cold but fun weekend.
Rats! I wonder how early for the rain though - like 3am Could be slicks on a drying track, or your Toyo rains - a good inter.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:36 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
Slower F cars that race out of class causing 60k in total damage to 2 E cars racing for first place on the last lap of a PCA race. That's my guess anyway.....
Originally Posted by Gary R.
Wait, tires are free as in slicks are allowed? That would be interesting to try!!
and no weight restriction !!! I'm going light, baby
Old 04-25-2019, 08:07 AM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sean F
and no weight restriction !!! I'm going light, baby
Plus chip with the higher rev limit if you have one!
Old 04-25-2019, 08:15 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Plus chip with the higher rev limit if you have one!
shhhhhh! People might be listening

Quick Reply: Triple Sprint Rumble - CVR LRP 2019 Club Race