Sponsored by:

Thunderbolt rain line

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 08:08 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
I'll be there this weekend as well - I was more concerned about the temps to be honest, but it's too late now as it snowed the day I thought I could put the Toyos back on, so with the tires I'm taking there, I'll likely be the fastest guy if it snows.
Didn’t see you on the roster. When did you register ?
Old 03-05-2019, 09:06 PM
The boy
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

In my experience jersey drys quickly compared to a lot of other tracks I've been to and unless you are getting a long period of rain I usually say on dry tires.

Here is the last time I was there in the rain in 2016. It poured down for about 15-20mins then stopped before our race and decided to stay on drys.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:42 PM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Just so I make sure I understand, you guys are going to be at NJMP this weekend, with weather in the mid 30s maybe, for a Chin DE, and at least Erko will be running snow tires? I find that I both respect and pity you in equal measure. Must be a challenge to find the right tire pressures at cold or slightly less cold. You, sirs, are nuts (and I say that with all due respect). Can’t wait for the post weekend pictures and a report. See y’all in spring.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:52 PM
Santi
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just saw emails from MSReg asking for instructors and offering a discount for drivers. I too think that this weekend might be a little too "ambitious" to get out there, hopefully it warms up and you guys have a blast. Pack a sweater or 4
Originally Posted by wmond
Just so I make sure I understand, you guys are going to be at NJMP this weekend, with weather in the mid 30s maybe, for a Chin DE, and at least Erko will be running snow tires? I find that I both respect and pity you in equal measure. Must be a challenge to find the right tire pressures at cold or slightly less cold. You, sirs, are nuts (and I say that with all due respect). Can’t wait for the post weekend pictures and a report. See y’all in spring.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:57 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wmond
I’m running RE71R’s regardless of the weather. On a normal summer track day I start at 24 and end up at 33. Takes a lap to get some heat into them.
This weekend, I’m gonna start at 28 and see where they go. Don’t see it being a problem. Temps will get into the 50’s both days with sun on Saturday.
My little 981S is gonna love those cool temps.
Nothing crazy at all. Just gotta know when the tires are warmed up. Nothing crazy about it.
You get so much track time with Chin that pitting in for a few minutes to adjust pressures early on is not really even noticeable as lost track time.
Weekend is gonna be awesome. I just gotta dig my trailer out of the 5 foot high snow bank my plow guy put it in. No biggie.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:53 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Santi
Just saw emails from MSReg asking for instructors and offering a discount for drivers. I too think that this weekend might be a little too "ambitious" to get out there, hopefully it warms up and you guys have a blast. Pack a sweater or 4
Pretty sure those emails were for scda on lightning. Chin has a decent roster of instructors and drivers.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:14 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Pretty sure those emails were for scda on lightning. Chin has a decent roster of instructors and drivers.
Got the same emails. It’s for lightning. The Chin Thunderbolt event looks pretty full. Lots of pent up demand. Looks like temps will get to 50+ both days. Sunday still looking 50/50 with the precip, but I’m hopeful.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:29 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
With heavy rain and standing water T1 is a rim shot. Stay off the curbing everywhere. Stay half a car width of the T3 curbing and watch the potential river running across between T3 and T4. Stay a car width off T4 curbing. T5 is a rim shot. T9, the entry into the Octopus is a rim shot. Take T10 on the outside. Watch the river right as you go back on throttle coming out of T10. Stay off the curbing going through T11 a/b (the Esses). Stay one car width off the T12 apex.

NJMP has done a lot to improve drainage over the years and it has been better every single time I've been on track in the rain.
^^THIS^^
Old 03-06-2019, 08:31 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

So the temps at Lightening will be in the 30’s and at Thunderbolt it will be 50+. That’s amazing, I never knew NJMP was that large!
Old 03-06-2019, 08:54 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
So the temps at Lightening will be in the 30’s and at Thunderbolt it will be 50+. That’s amazing, I never knew NJMP was that large!
There’s a toxic waste dump under Thunderbolt that affects temperature and humidity. Stretches all the way to Finish Line Pub and ends right before T-1 at Lightning. Also the reason why Thunderbolt dries much quicker than Lightning after it rains. Also why Thunderbolt has more grip than Lightning. Those toxic gases rising up through the track surface really adds tons of traction. True facts.
My machine she’s a dud and I’m stuck in the mud, somewhere in the swamps if Jersey...
Old 03-06-2019, 01:41 PM
CrazyFast
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is anyone bringing Hoosiers or similar? I've got RE-71Rs on my OEM 20" wheels, and bought a used set of 19" wheels with R7s mounted. Was hoping to try the R7s out this weekend, but not sure if it will be warm enough.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:47 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

I never run Hoosiers or any slick tire under 40/45 deg F. I have cracked them before below those temps. So it really depends on the temperatures.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:49 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CrazyFast
Is anyone bringing Hoosiers or similar? I've got RE-71Rs on my OEM 20" wheels, and bought a used set of 19" wheels with R7s mounted. Was hoping to try the R7s out this weekend, but not sure if it will be warm enough.

Any thoughts appreciated.
I'm using RE71Rs this weekend at NJMP....
Old 03-06-2019, 02:19 PM
CrazyFast
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
I'm using RE71Rs this weekend at NJMP....
... and that's why I need the R7's!
Old 03-06-2019, 02:29 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CrazyFast
... and that's why I need the R7's!
WTF are you talking about? You kick my a$$ every lap. You setting me up or something ?

Quick Reply: Thunderbolt rain line