Spec Cayman suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 02:19 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Spec Cayman suspension question

For those of you who have Spec Caymans, I'm curious what you are running for sway bars and how you have the bars adjusted (which holes you are using). The rules allow several different bar options, although the JRZ Spec Cayman coilovers are mandatory. I'm setting up a dedicated Cayman DE car, although it is not a Spec Cayman racer and I already have the Spec Cayman JRZ's. I'm looking for a starting point on sway bar setup before I go back on the track in a couple months.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:29 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

It depends... You really need to tune them to the rest of the setup as well as your personal preference.

I would suggesting running a few laps at the extreme settings (front full stiff and rear full soft) then swap (front soft, rear stiff). See what your butt dyno says, then you can start honing in...

Otherwise just run them centered both ends.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:41 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I've got a front TPC bar for sale for $300 now. It has 5 adjustment settings. Cheap way to see if you prefer a stiffer set up than stock. We went to a cockpit adjustable bar on our non-spec Cayman.

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...sway-bars.html
Old 02-21-2019, 02:42 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Do not run them full soft front and full stiff rear unless you want to do repeated mid-corner spins (assuming you will drive near the limit of the tire).

Would strongly recommend, per jscott82's initial suggestion, that you run full stiff front and full soft rear... and then adjust one end, one hole at a time to tune for preference, track, and the balance of your setup (rake, alignment, tire pressures).

Per the SPC rules you can run Tarett, TPC, or Gt3 sways (including mixing and matching to find the best front:rear balance spring rates).
Old 02-21-2019, 02:43 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cory M
I've got a front TPC bar for sale for $300 now. It has 5 adjustment settings. Cheap way to see if you prefer a stiffer set up than stock. We went to a cockpit adjustable bar on our non-spec Cayman.

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...sway-bars.html
OP ^ there you go, perfect. Buy this and then match it with the Tarett rear bar (IMHO the TPC rear bar is too stiff).
Old 02-21-2019, 02:48 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,461 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Also depends on the conditions. If you are going to race in the rain you may want to soften them up.

As others suggest, the best way to do it is to play with the settings on the bars and figure out what you like. My previous car was the test bed for the SPC JRZ suspension so I got to play with it a little before it was cast in stone.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:27 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Also depends on the conditions. If you are going to race in the rain you may want to soften them up.

As others suggest, the best way to do it is to play with the settings on the bars and figure out what you like. My previous car was the test bed for the SPC JRZ suspension so I got to play with it a little before it was cast in stone.
I have heard that alternative race surfaces, such as grass and dirt, allow you to maintain your dry settings due to the softer surface
Old 02-21-2019, 03:33 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,461 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by certz
I have heard that alternative race surfaces, such as grass and dirt, allow you to maintain your dry settings due to the softer surface
I believe Matt D is the resident off-road SPC champion and can opine on that.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:44 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

We run a special turf setup for NJMP. Best to disconnect the sway bars for more suspension independence. Helps to maintain tire contact as you transition from turtles to the, uh, non-paved surface.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:12 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Dropped the price on my TPC front bar and bushings to $250. Send me a PM if you need it.

Quick Reply: Spec Cayman suspension question