Just finished the series - Loved it!

Looks like there will be a season 2.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/brawn-...etflix-series/
Old 03-16-2019, 12:01 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs

Your Metro buddies are making some good paddock espresso right about now. Miss you down here ....
And to keep it on topic, Ciril vs Christian was as eye opening as George’s coffee. That guy don’t mess around with his espresso machine.
I'll be at NJMP on 4/5 - 4/6 with the SPB
Old 03-18-2019, 05:36 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,832 Likes on 1,220 Posts

Just finished the series. Enjoyed it but thought it got a little anti-climactic at the end, but looks like a great lead into next season. Looking forward to it.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:41 PM
Rhythmaddict
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just finished the series. Enjoyed it but thought it got a little anti-climactic at the end, but looks like a great lead into next season. Looking forward to it.
Agreed on the anti-climactic last episode. At the moment I'm just hoping there is a next season!
Old 03-21-2019, 03:54 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
I've only watched the first 2 and I remember vividly how well HAAS was doing in that first race and then what happened to BOTH cars on their first pitstop... painful to watch it again as they were in very good point paying positions... Grosjean getting shade from other teams calling what lap he will spin was painful too.... Not a good start for HAAS last year, but a good finish... same with Max.

I know it would be tough to edit within a 2 week period, but if Netflix could shoot a race weekend, edit it and then air it before the next race, that would be the ultimate and give perspective to the current season rather than something that is a year old.
Seriously,

Showtime does Inside the NFL by Tuesday night of every week -- and the includes coverage of Monday night game as well.

So, while challenging -- technically this could be done -- and I think would be very interesting to watch -- especially if they cover "every team".

Mike

Old 03-21-2019, 10:41 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I actually enjoyed the series more than the actual races. The back stories are far more interesting.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:03 PM
seanseidman
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Racerrob
I actually enjoyed the series more than the actual races. The back stories are far more interesting.
I agree
Old 03-22-2019, 12:07 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Just finished it. Great series. They could have eased up on replaying the crashes dozens of times and from every possible angle. Also, disappointing to see all of the unsanctioned a**hole racing (squeezing cars off track; not leaving racing room) mostly by the younger bucks. Can see why old school Alonso left with a bitter taste in his mouth. Feels like F1 is encouraging this behavior to produce more crashes and high drama for the audience. More like WWF, less like racing. Or maybe I’m getting old myself...
Old 03-23-2019, 10:12 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

Just finished the first episode and loved it. Amazing that both cars went limp the same lap from the same thing. Inexperienced pit crew at that level of driving is a shame.
On to episode 2....
In in interview earlier in the season, Steiner admitted they had not practiced pit stops as much as they should have because they were dealing with getting the cars put together from parts not being available, IIRC. IMO, it's his fault for not making sure they had practiced the pit stops enough, and they had guys on those wheel positions who hadn't done F1 stops before. If the part shortages/unavailability were totally beyond his control, that might be his only semi-excuse.

Great series. Looking forward to season 2.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:42 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,458 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Ross Brawn has promised to bring more of the back story to the front this year. Given the secrecy in which F1 operates I wonder how succesfull he will be with that mission.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:15 PM
drive418
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I couldn’t agree more. I forgot how much turmoil Haas had in Australia. It was kind of cool to watch and get a refresh of the driver changes, etc. as the 2019 season is kicking off.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:37 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

i shudder to think what the F1 producer’s version of backstories are for F1. What made this series interesting was the candid backstage access to what the teams were going through, including some unflattering moments. If F1 brings in “backstory” I fear it will be fluf pieces about the personal obstacles the drivers had to overcome, blah, blah blah.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:47 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

REALLY well done series!
In fact, I would say it's helped me appreciate and appoach the current F1 season in a more informed manner.
Is Aasif Kapadia an F1 fan? Just on the basis of the high quality of the product I would guess he is.

Re: more backstory-- I would LOVE more backstory on the cars and program development and pit-crew strategy etc. like RedBull crew took on avg double the tome that Mercedes Benz did in yesterday's race. A little more info on driver related backstory (eg how do they train, what do they eat, how much sleep etc) would be cool. I'd be less interested in much more reel from the drivers' Mum/Dad.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:18 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

My brother and sister in law, who aren't racing fans at all, have really gotten into this show and watched their first F1 race last weekend. Now they want to take a trip to COTA and watch the race live. I've had several coworkers, who know I've raced but aren't racing enthusiasts, engage me in conversation about the show too. Seems like a great move by Liberty Media to increase the fan base and introduce more people to the sport, at least in the US.

Just read that the last F1 race was the second highest rated F1 TV audience ever in the US..

Last edited by Cory M; 04-03-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:33 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's unique about the series is that, unlike most other racing documentaries, it doesn't follow the winners but rather focuses on the other teams and drivers just trying to not to be the worst losers. If you like this doc, you should watch the "Williams" doc that's on Netflix as well.

Quick Reply: Drive to Survive F1 on Netflix