breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 for getting an instructor
Old 02-07-2019, 02:41 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

Just a reference point, but I had over 20 track days before my first event solo. Multiple times I was signed off and would continue to drive with an instructor as I was learning so much still that being solo would have been counter intuitive (and possibly unsafe). Good luck and have fun!
Old 02-07-2019, 04:43 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,832 Likes on 1,220 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
Just a reference point, but I had over 20 track days before my first event solo. Multiple times I was signed off and would continue to drive with an instructor as I was learning so much still that being solo would have been counter intuitive (and possibly unsafe). Good luck and have fun!
+1 ^^This^^
Even as I drive in White with NNJR and Black with a few other regions, I am always looking for instructors to go out with me, even if for just a session or two during a DE.
Don't discount what you can learn because you are signed off and driving solo. I always learn something new, even if at a track I do 25+ times/season, such as WGI, by having an instructor in the right seat.
An instructor will not teach me a new line. He will tweak my current line and we go from there. "You can turn in 5 feet sooner here", or "you can apex a bit later there", etc.
Always take instructors if available, regardless of what run group you are in.
Solid advice!!
Old 02-07-2019, 05:53 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
If it was PCA CT Valley Region you would be lucky to have advanced to Yellow from Green with 20 days, and forget about Yellow Solo... and trust me, that's a GOOD thing! I had instuctors with me on/off well into Black with CVR, and never asked to move up (and actually asked NOT to).. The day you feel you have nothing to gain from someone more experienced, quit and do everyone a favor, yourself included.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:05 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
If it was PCA CT Valley Region you would be lucky to have advanced to Yellow from Green with 20 days, and forget about Yellow Solo... and trust me, that's a GOOD thing! I had instuctors with me on/off well into Black with CVR, and never asked to move up (and actually asked NOT to).. The day you feel you have nothing to gain from someone more experienced, quit and do everyone a favor, yourself included.
Agree 100%. There is a serious inconsistency if someone driving a 400 hp car on track is signed off solo after 5 DAYS. My apologies to the OP, please do not take offense. I was driving a 240 hp 1995 BMW and still had zero idea what I was doing after 5 days. ZERO.

I think clubs should be very accommodating to students that make mistakes, maybe even making an already nervous and out of place student feel accepted (we all do it). On the other hand, I think 90% of clubs are WAY to quick on signing off students that are driving VERY advanced modern day equipment. Thinking the student is advancing more than he/she really is, as the car is so capable it is keeping everything together so seamlessly. Just because your student is LAPPING everyone in the novice group does NOT mean they should be solo'ed. Severe amount of respect and appreciation for instructors, but unless they have been driving that car for 10 or 15 days, there is zero chance they should be signed off as a solo.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:50 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Thanks for all of the lack of faith in my driving especially since none of you have been in the car with me. Either way, had a great track day. There were 9 cars total there and got insane amount of track time. I had no issues transfering what I had learned over to new car. If anyone else reads this thread later. Moving from a C7 Z06 to an AWD 911 GTS did not take any big changes to be safe. I could tell trail braking would get faster times for sure and seemed smoother just didnt really push too many changes. Learned a lot a lot about car though and had a great time. Took an instructor with me about 10 laps for the day. He thought I was doing well. Gave me some instruction and things to work on, but felt good about me being solo. It was a good feeling for the day. The track surface is rough to say the least. I went through all 4 OEM pads that had 7,000 street miles with a handful of runs on tail of the dragon. Destroyed my front tires. The P Zeros look like a dog has been nawimg on them for a month. My front rotors are trash and possibly rears. Expensive yet fun day that was almost like a private event. Not that some of you care to hear it as I see the non stop bashing of where you assume I am at has persisted.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:05 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,466 Likes on 965 Posts

Some people need more time than others.

Some are natural good smooth drivers with great instincts and car and track awareness.

For new drivers and new tracks never hurts to get a few laps with a local instructor, even if signed off.

Have fun.

PCA DE Instructor
Old 02-09-2019, 06:06 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JSETarga
Thanks for all of the lack of faith in my driving especially since none of you have been in the car with me. Either way, had a great track day. There were 9 cars total there and got insane amount of track time. I had no issues transfering what I had learned over to new car. If anyone else reads this thread later. Moving from a C7 Z06 to an AWD 911 GTS did not take any big changes to be safe. I could tell trail braking would get faster times for sure and seemed smoother just didnt really push too many changes. Learned a lot a lot about car though and had a great time. Took an instructor with me about 10 laps for the day. He thought I was doing well. Gave me some instruction and things to work on, but felt good about me being solo. It was a good feeling for the day. The track surface is rough to say the least. I went through all 4 OEM pads that had 7,000 street miles with a handful of runs on tail of the dragon. Destroyed my front tires. The P Zeros look like a dog has been nawimg on them for a month. My front rotors are trash and possibly rears. Expensive yet fun day that was almost like a private event. Not that some of you care to hear it as I see the non stop bashing of where you assume I am at has persisted.
Congrats on your extremely successful and exciting track event. Glad everything went off without a hitch and you and those around you went home safe.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:19 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Non-stop bashing? You take the advice from those with 100's if not 1000's of hours more experience than you as bashing? I'll add humility and lack of ego to what I consider to be essential traits for a good student, is that insulting to you also? Put up a video so the experts on that track can help you (i'm not one of them).. Last I looked this was Driver's Education, not Driver's don't need any Education.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:40 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Its that I was asking a question about switching over cars. That was info I was unsure about. I felt good about that specific track solo. I had intended to get a signoff before running it that day. I tried to be more clear in a follow up post. Yet only one or 2 actually touched on the question I was asking. Everything else was implying I was not ready to drive solo on a track even though they did not know my comfort level or driving ability on that specific track. I wont be doing that track again this year until it is resurfaced. The track ate my pads and tires alive. It ate another guys brand new pads on a cayman s completely he just put on as well. I will be going to a different track next time I have never been to. I will be getting an istructor the whole event and possibly even the next one there who knows. That is my attitude toward it. i have no issue with instruction, I actually take it pretty well. I enjoy learning and growing. This just turned into a debate about if I needed an istructor for the day, not differnence in driving the 2 different cars on track which is the information i was looking to learn. That is humble and lack of ego as I did not assume I knew the difference. I was looking to learn and not telling anyone else or acting like i was the best or had it all figured out. Just trying to gather specific information. Maybe this is not a place to find out such information. Maybe I need to not give other information not pertaining to question. Forums have a tendancy to stray off topic.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:09 PM
Santi
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the GTS, you will love the car. I can give you a little insight as my last 3 track cars in order were an AWD Evo X, a 997 RWD GTS and most recently a 2017 Corvette Grand Sport. You will notice that the GTS understeers more than the corvette primarily due to the AWD and having all that rear weight lifting the front on acceleration if you power out while still having the wheel turned. Plan your corner entries properly and get the car rotating early enough so you can take advantage of your AWD, you will notice that the GTS will pull you coming out of corners, unlike the Vette which has a tendency to oversteer on throttle at corner exit. You have to drive the car partially like a FWD and partially like a traditional 911. This will take time to master which brings me back to the best info on this thread..... Don't be too eager to go solo! Don't look at having an instructor with you as a negative or a slight on your driving ability, look at it as an opportunity to learn.

Last edited by Santi; 02-10-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:33 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,832 Likes on 1,220 Posts

JSE, glad you had a good time and got home safe. Sorry if it was my advice that came off as bashing. Not intended that way.

That being said, the people who gave you the advice on instruction in this thread (whether off topic or not), intended to benefit you, not insult you. Of that I am sure. These are the same folks who gave me the same advice at the beginning of my track driving days.

Did you really trash all 4 pads, both front tires, and all 4 rotors in one or 2 track days? That's some serious track time. Good on you.

I may have missed it, but what group (or region) were you running with at this event?

Thanks...
Old 02-09-2019, 09:46 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
CMP is my home track, been driving it since 04.. Love the track if they would just repave, which I hear is coming
Have you heard when?
Old 02-09-2019, 10:17 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dgrobs
JSE, glad you had a good time and got home safe. Sorry if it was my advice that came off as bashing. Not intended that way.

That being said, the people who gave you the advice on instruction in this thread (whether off topic or not), intended to benefit you, not insult you. Of that I am sure. These are the same folks who gave me the same advice at the beginning of my track driving days.

Did you really trash all 4 pads, both front tires, and all 4 rotors in one or 2 track days? That's some serious track time. Good on you.

I may have missed it, but what group (or region) were you running with at this event?

Thanks...

Thanks!! I am not trying to single anyone out. Each time I got on and looked at the thread it just seemed thats what was going on. Either way, yes. Totally destroyed all 4 pads, the front tires and front rotors. Rear tires should be replaced too and possibly rear rotors. It was supposed to be a Friday/Saturday event, but couldnt do 2nd day because of the wear. There were 9 cars there total. 1, whose first time it was and he got 6 20 minute sessions plus classroom. The rest of us ran together using point bys. They have DE, Solo and Super Solo with Turn One (CMPs track day group). They put the solo and super solo together giving us a 1 hour session and 5 40 minute sessions. I didnt run any session all the way through. First couple sessions, tire temps kept climbing til finally got them adjusted. They raised about 12lbs from cold overall. I was out there a total of for a 45min, 35 min , (3) 30 min, a 20 min session for a total of a little over 3 hours within 6.5 hr day. So it was just nonstop. Going to upgrade brakes and tires, just not sure to what. I have centerlocks and from what I read, I need to lift all 4s at the same time and buy the toolset. The toolset I do not mind, but having to buy stuff to lift all 4 wheels just seems expensive to swap pads from track to street. Therefore, looking to find a dual purpose unless I can just lift a side at a time??? Would love to hear suggestions on this!! I will do probably 3 more events this year so 5 or 6 days, plus 10k miles street driven this year. I also uploaded my 2nd session to youtube. I was still trying to shake shuffle steering which my instructor at the rally course class I did on like Dec. 29th had me learn to do. I also was still trying to find my "new" approach to the "kink." By the end of the day, I had tried the method the instructor yesterday told me, which really didnt work for me as I got a little too far left than I felt comfortable with. I have a lot to learn yet, but I was happy with yesterday and had a blast! Next time I go, would love to get my instructor in the car David Smith from NASA with me a session to push me forward. Wish I got his number last time. But, like I said I will wait til a repave. Here is my session 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa1e...ature=youtu.be

I uploaded and tried to clip a few laps of last session where my pads and tires were shot, still had consistent times, but obviously working with less materials. I am waiting for it to finish processing. Didnt realize took that long, so just posted full other session up above. My camera mounting was little shaky, going to have to figure something out about that. First session, it actually fell into back seat so no video of it.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:26 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Edit: I meant to say by the end of the day I was back to my approach used with Z06 at the kink, after had tried the newly suggested way and didnt work for me. Took some build up of ***** but got back there by end of day. Here is my front left tire and my pads.

Quick Reply: Ready for 1st track day in 911