Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Ready for 1st track day in 911 (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1127799-ready-for-1st-track-day-in-911-a.html)

JSETarga 02-05-2019 06:47 PM

Ready for 1st track day in 911

I traded my '16 Z06 on a CPO '17 Targa GTS in September. It took me over a year to decide which 911 by test driving and educating myself on options and models. It also took that long to convince myself to spend this much on a car. I landed on a GTS because after having the Z06, I realized with 2 small kids and a wife a 2 seater really made my car a lonely car. It was hard to not get a GT3, but glad I resisted for family reasons. I also love a Targa top, not a big fan of a full convertible though for personal reasons I won't get into. I know the Targa adds extra weight, but it is worth it to me. I found one with 4 way seats, RAS and PDCC which I feel gives it a little bit more of an edge to make up for extra weight in my mind. I will be taking it to CMP this weekend with the Pirelli P Zeros and everything stock. There is not a whole lot of tread left on them, enough for a track event but might not be too much left after. I will use them up and just see how they stick on the track. Then I can decide what the next tire will be. I originally was planning my first event March 2nd, but this whole starting to play Forza the past couple weeks then adding a steering wheel and pedals made my waiting unbearable. I havent done a track day since July in the Z06 so, been waiting too long. I went to CMP last May, but will be going solo the first time this weekend. I feel good about the line and moving to solo after a session so not so worried about that part. The one part that makes me a little nervous is the kink. I know there have been bad accidents there in the past. In the Z06 I worked my nerve up to floating through there in the high 90s. I felt comfortable with the method my instructor taught me. The method was to let off throttle around 115 before the breaking zone (I could have gotten higher and then utilized breaking zone but didnt), turn in about 100, then back on throttle at apex. I have taken my car up on the tail of the dragon and pushed it. Feel pretty good about the average turn. I guess just curious if I should approach a kink differently in an AWD rear engine car? Really anyone with experience switching between a high HP front engine rwd to an AWD rear engine I would like to hear any tips in adapting technique and things to keep in mind. Thanks!!

zedcat 02-05-2019 08:05 PM

Why not get an instructor? Or hire a local coach?

JSETarga 02-05-2019 08:13 PM

I will have an instructor at least part of first day to make sure I am good to get a signoff. Maybe they have experience in this type of platform, maybe not so wanted to see if there were any differences I should keep in mind from those who may know off hand. This car handles like it is on rails and really just want to make sure if there are any big differences on approaches I should keep in mind.

LuigiVampa 02-05-2019 08:40 PM

Try to find out the age of the tires. If they have no tread they may be old as well. You do not want to run old tires at the track.

JSETarga 02-05-2019 08:47 PM

They are from 17 and are above wear bars. I believe 5/32 left if I am not mistaken. Dropped them off at Porsche dealership today, to have swapped back on from winter tires tomorrow morning and get tech inspection. Have not invested in a centerlock toolset yet

badabing 02-05-2019 09:17 PM

Flush the brake fluid.

I suggest you make an effort to find an instructor that has a lot of experience with an AWD 911.

I also wouldn't be in a rush to get signed off. From my discussions with some people who have tracked both RWD and AWD 911's the difference in handling and technique is significant.

To go from a front engine RWD to a rear engine AWD is going to be a major adjustment.

You might even have more work to do than a less experienced driver because you have to 'unlearn' the corvette and relearn the 911.

Frank 993 C4S 02-06-2019 08:31 AM

Flush the brake fluid
Buy a good tire pressure gauge
Buy a good torque wrench
Drive with an instructor and don't rush to get signed off
Have fun!!!!

ProCoach 02-06-2019 09:55 AM

CMP is a fun little track, hard on tires and hard on brakes (no time to cool).

Have fun!

jscott82 02-06-2019 12:39 PM

CMP is my home track, been driving it since 04.. Love the track if they would just repave, which I hear is coming.

The kink, fun to talk about at the bar, but not a ton of timed to be gained here.. Just make sure you have the right line. Right wheels all the way up on the curb, I try to clip passenger side mirror on the poles. Just don't go too far, as there is a big hole right before apex. Other than that, any car should be able to go through there at 90, don't worry about the speedo, go through as fast as you like and only track out as far as you need to... If there is track left, go a little faster next time...

Best advice I can give you... If you over cook it, just drive left. You have a huge flat field to get your **** back together. Where people get into trouble is trying to stay on track and either looping it back across into the right tire wall, or hugging the left edge and running into the flagstand (rare).

Good luck!! Will see you there in March.

JSETarga 02-06-2019 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by jscott82 (Post 15619835)
CMP is my home track, been driving it since 04.. Love the track if they would just repave, which I hear is coming.

The kink, fun to talk about at the bar, but not a ton of timed to be gained here.. Just make sure you have the right line. Right wheels all the way up on the curb, I try to clip passenger side mirror on the poles. Just don't go too far, as there is a big hole right before apex. Other than that, any car should be able to go through there at 90, don't worry about the speedo, go through as fast as you like and only track out as far as you need to... If there is track left, go a little faster next time...

Best advice I can give you... If you over cook it, just drive left. You have a huge flat field to get your **** back together. Where people get into trouble is trying to stay on track and either looping it back across into the right tire wall, or hugging the left edge and running into the flagstand (rare).

Good luck!! Will see you there in March.

Thank you for your input! Track is a lot of fun for me. With my limited experience just being 1 event at AMP, 1 at CMP and 1 at NCM. CMP was most fun for me, with NCM being 2nd. I assume you are going with PCA in march. Wish I could do that one too, but its kids spring break and we will be in FL. I will be back in May with NASA though. This weekend is with Turn One and there is limited info on their run groups, I am doubtful there will be a lot of people there. You done a Turn one track day?

jscott82 02-06-2019 08:59 PM

Turn one is usually pretty light, especially this time of year... You may have the track to yourself, enjoy :-)

I only live 45 min away, so was a member there for a few years before the surface degraded so much...

mig7410 02-07-2019 10:57 AM

I mostly track my 2018 Camaro ZL1 1le. About every 4th or so event I will track my 2018 911 GT3. I really don't have any problem with getting adjusted to the two different cars.
I think these modern cars are designed so good that it's very easy to jump in a 911 vs a Corvette or other high powered front engine car.
I do tend to get a little more lose in the Camaro, but I think that because I really push it harder.
My lap times are pretty much the same, I think If I drove the GT3 more often I would get a little faster. I do enjoy driving the GT3 more, I like how nimble it is. And of course it weight a lot less.
Have fun.

JSETarga 02-07-2019 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by mig7410 (Post 15622076)
I mostly track my 2018 Camaro ZL1 1le. About every 4th or so event I will track my 2018 911 GT3. I really don't have any problem with getting adjusted to the two different cars.
I think these modern cars are designed so good that it's very easy to jump in a 911 vs a Corvette or other high powered front engine car.
I do tend to get a little more lose in the Camaro, but I think that because I really push it harder.
My lap times are pretty much the same, I think If I drove the GT3 more often I would get a little faster. I do enjoy driving the GT3 more, I like how nimble it is. And of course it weight a lot less.
Have fun.

Awesome! That is good to hear. Pretty similar swap as to what my swap is. Not exact but close enough!

Gary R. 02-07-2019 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by JSETarga (Post 15619872)
Thank you for your input! Track is a lot of fun for me. With my limited experience just being 1 event at AMP, 1 at CMP and 1 at NCM. CMP was most fun for me, with NCM being 2nd. I assume you are going with PCA in march. Wish I could do that one too, but its kids spring break and we will be in FL. I will be back in May with NASA though. This weekend is with Turn One and there is limited info on their run groups, I am doubtful there will be a lot of people there. You done a Turn one track day?

You have had a total of 3 track events, all at different tracks, and they signed you off to run solo? I agree with most here, get an Instructor (hopefully with 911 experience) and keep him in the car.. You don't even know what questions to ask yet, enjoy the learning experience.

JSETarga 02-07-2019 01:48 PM

I should be a little more clear. I have 3 events total for a total of 5 days. Each event at a different track. The last even I was at, the instructor wrote I was ready for solo with a sign off. I did not actually get a signoff. I am heading back to a track I have already been to. I am hoping to go solo at some point this weekend on this track. I am comfortable at this track. Any other track I would not be comfortable and would for sure want an instructor. I am looking to be in Novice Solo for the year unless new track then Novice w instructor. If the instructor they put me with tomorrow does not feel I am ready then that is fine. If I dont feel as comfortable in this car it is fine too, keep instructor in car. Not trying to push things but I feel I can benefit from a little bit of solo time.