sim: static vs motion for driver training

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 02:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,341 Likes on 1,896 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
matt33, nice setup. Where did aluminum box frame parts come from?
https://8020.net/

Pretty common for DIY sim frames. Works great.

I have a preference for the Fanatec Rennsport Cockpit...
Old 05-16-2019, 03:44 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 778 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by matt33
...Strongly recommend a 80/20 style rig as you can infinitely adjust in the future. Several good manufacturers from the cheaper 4play rig to the HE setup and beyond...
Great overview Matt and very nice setup you have. I just upgraded to 4Play's "Competition" model fame and it's pretty awesome. I had a very early 4Play frame before that was good, but not amazing, but the new 4Play Competition model is excellent. Very happy with the kit and John's customer support is awesome.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:02 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Don't know how I missed this thread. I also have an 80/20 rig I recently built/am still tinkering on. In my case, the P1 from Sim lab in YERP, and their triple monitor stand with fourth monitor add-on. I also have a Fanatec CSW 2.5 wheelbase + wheel, and HE sprint pedals.

I did all the building myself, including the computer, which came with me dropping a panel (LOL), so YMMV. I would say all in I will be around 8k or so, running triple 2k panels and also VR using a CV1 Oculus. Still tinkering, and don't have good pictures yet.

That said, I have been out of HPDE for a long time; like 10 years. iRacing in good leagues and official races, to me, is way way more fun and accessible compared to a DE. To DE a car here just outside DC, I have to have the car inspected, then tow the car to Summit Point, stay in a hotel, trailer it back.. No thanks! Come home from a business trip from Tokyo, and want to run a race at Spa? I can do that! With the right league, the competition is a lot of fun, and the wheel to wheel is much closer than you would get in most club racing series anyways.

A replacement for wheel to wheel. No. A full training tool for the same. No. Chasing the illusive 1 or 0.5 seconds off the crazy alien times for somebody that actually wheel to wheel races is a waste of time. One of the biggest things you have to realize about going fast in the sim is that you will be doing things with the car you would never do in the real world. There is a limit to that, and I think those that have driven in real life have trouble ever getting to certain alien times because of it.

I also think motion is a gimic. The input is mostly through the wheel and the sound.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:16 PM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
matt33, nice setup. Where did aluminum box frame parts come from?
Thanks. This is the heusinkveld engineering rig. Nice thing about it is the slim form factor achieved through some of the custom pieces. 4Play is a cheaper equivalent, ProSim similar quality design (be aware ProSim use proprietary 80/20 dimensions meaning you need to buy parts from them to fit match exactly)

I liked how clean and integrated the Heusinkveld rig is with their pedals and shifter. Great firm and amazing customer service. PM me for a thread on my Entire build if interested.

Matty

Old 05-17-2019, 10:15 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 120 Posts

I have a similar 80/20 rig (Sim Lab P1) that I recently upgraded some:
Simucube DD wheel
HE Ultimates
Bass vibration stuff on the seat
32 inch low latency curved triple screens
Quaif shifter

Immersion is incredible and lot of fun. All you need. Motion is stuff is no near in terms of relatability to the actual race car!
Old 05-22-2019, 06:55 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

For those you race VR, get a Pimax 5k+ I've been using one for a few months. For simracing it's almost perfect. The biggest difference if the wide FOV which is pretty close to having a racing helmet on.

Coming from a rift/vive/odyssey, it's like being able to use both eyes vs just one to see. The clarity is also a major step above other sets. The only drawback is that you basically need a 2080ti to run it at high specs.
The following users liked this post:
MarcD147 (05-04-2020)

Quick Reply: sim: static vs motion for driver training