Sponsored by:

Double clutch or single?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 05:23 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Double clutch or single?

This year I'm switching from a Tiptronic to a manual shifter so that I can really learn how to drive.

I already know the basics of how to drive stick, but I'll have to learn how to heel-and-toe.

Any comments on which would be better to learn: single clutch or double clutch?

I figure I've got about 2 months of street driving in which to start making one of them a habit. The purist in me says to learn to double clutch, but the speedster in me (and the simple caveman nature of me) says that single clutching would be easier to learn and/or faster.

Oh, and I'll be switching from a 2.5L Boxster tiptronic to a 3.2L Boxster S stickshift
Old 02-04-2004, 05:54 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no real point to double (de)clutch in a Boxter. Single clutch it, Brian.

By the way, nice choice on the change
Old 02-04-2004, 06:13 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

For syncro cars (100% of street cars) single clutch. The double clucth is only used to match the tranny shaft speed to the gear speed on a down shift. Modern cars with syncromesh use the syncros to match the internal tranny speed to the gear speed. However you still need to blip the throttle to match engine speed to trany speed before you release the clutch.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:20 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

With a syncromesh transmission, you may get some style points for double-clutching, but that's all. If you want to get really old-school, have your mechanic ride in the passenger seat, and wear a leather helmet.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:58 AM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Synchros are a wear item in the gearbox. Use them and they wear out. Double-clutching reduces synchro wear and promotes smooth downshifts.

I could conduct a poll to see how many owners have worn out 2nd gear synchros. Wonder how that happened?

Sherwood
Old 02-05-2004, 03:38 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

On a newer car (such as a Boxster S), what's the likelihood of actually wearing out the synchros? Or, at least, what's the chances that that wears before I have to replace the clutch for other reasons.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Brian: I've got almost 140,000 miles on my 944S2's original syncros. Sure, they're probably a little worn, but they will function fine. (When you drove it, did you feel any excessive noise or wear and tear?) And I don't double declutch. Ever.

I think it is far better to focus on proper heel-and-toe technique and not worry about double declutching. Without proper rev-matching on a downshift, you will wear out the tranny far quicker than if you don't double declutch.

HTH,
-Z.

PS: How's the shiftster? Do you have it in your garage yet?
Old 02-05-2004, 04:34 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

No.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:59 PM
Z-man
Race Director

If you need help with delivery of it, lemme know, since I'm a stone's throw away. I wouldn't mind driving the tipster home for you: it's still a fun car!
Old 02-05-2004, 05:04 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

I may take you up on that. However, if you've been following the history of it, you'll understand why I want to see the car personally before it leaves the dealership.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:44 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Brian: understood: been keeping abreast of the situation. Just wanted to let ya know if you need a ride, I'm here.
-Z.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:34 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by 911pcars
Synchros are a wear item in the gearbox. Use them and they wear out. Double-clutching reduces synchro wear and promotes smooth downshifts.

Sherwood
If you're not going to use the syncros for shifting, then how do you plan to use them? They're not doing anybody any good if they're not being used for their intended purpose. Single clutching with proper heel & toe is the way to go.

Jim Child
'94 968 Race Car
'92 968 Street Car
Old 02-05-2004, 08:52 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey All'

I'm with Jim. Seems he's ALWAYS brilliant!

Synchro wear has nothing whatsoever to do with whether you single or double clutch.

Synchros catch a non moving gear and bring it up to speed with the gear that is being vacated. As such, it is the speed and more importantly the force with which you shift that causes synchro wear, not the mode.

Of course most of us who have driven cars with worn synchros learn quickly that Porsche transmissions don't like to be rushed or slammed about. Anyone who wears out numerous synchros is a ham-fisted bonehead.

Porsche bronze synchros are indeed relatively soft and wear much more than other types. Still, there is simply NO NEED for them to be sacrificed unless one seeks to make their mechanic a rich man.

Oh yeh... single clutch, and take your time. If you trash your synchros, double declutching won't help anyway!

Quick Reply: Double clutch or single?