Sponsored by:

anti-Lime Rock bill proposed in the CT Legislature

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 11:14 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by shewu
I think we'd kill to have 96 or 93 -- almost all weekends are 90db (Hooked on Driving) or 92db (PCA-GGR tries really hard to get these, and the track rental is considerably more expensive).
my bad, you guys would know, I guess I was off

How can you get under 90db?
Old 02-05-2019, 11:23 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
my bad, you guys would know, I guess I was off

Fiat. Maybe Citroen?
Old 02-06-2019, 01:49 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
My humble suggestion is, (rather than merely complaining about political ideologies and the role of gov't etc.), that concerned folks should focus their correspondence to any legislator on the economic and social benefits of Lime Rock Park as well as the historical significance of the venue as a landmark/attraction. Information on the amount of business and economic activity generated by LRP (i.e., hotels, restaurants, and other small business gains, etc) on race days and numerous auto club events (DEs, historic races, concours etc) and the positive tax contributions may have more of an effect than merely grumbling about politics. Showing the real potential economic harm to local businesses from taking away an iconic racetrack might resonate louder with legislators and residents if the case can be made that any lost commercial tax revenue from the closure of LRP (and the adverse effects on various small businesses that benefit from LRP's activities) might need to be offset by higher local property taxes. Just a thought...
+1
No politician wants to loose money or jobs.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:54 AM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Midway in Chicago (the face of Flight Sim) was illegally bulldozed by Daly in the middle of the night stranding millions of dollars worth of aircraft.
Was this not Meigs Field on the island, rather than Midway?
Old 02-06-2019, 09:47 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
It can be done, but it's not easy. Lime Rock was 90 db (trackside at 50 feet) for years, then it was lowered to 88 db (86 for some clubs). Some stock cars do not pass these limits. Race cars can be made to pass with some work. I've seen cup cars pass 88 db with muffler customizations.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:00 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,293 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
+1
No politician wants to loose money or jobs.
So you've never been to Connecticut?
Old 02-11-2019, 07:46 PM
BlackHawkRacing
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bill is dead!
https://www.rep-am.com/local/news-lo...-courts-hands/
Edit - realize most people probably don't have full access to the article. See below.

FALLS VILLAGE — Acknowledging the place-holder legislation she submitted pertaining to local control of auto racing was vague and confusing, state Rep. Maria Horn, D-Salisbury, told a crowd of about 200 people Thursday the bill has been withdrawn.

The meeting regarding Lime Rock Park was organized by town resident Judy Jacobs and held at the Falls Village Emergency Services Center.

The proposed legislation called for the control of auto racing hours to come under local rather than state authority.

“The bill was assigned to the Transportation Committee, and I can say they and I won’t raise it,” said Horn, who began her first term last month. “It’s a dead letter.”

She said the state in 1995 gave towns the ability to set times of auto racing operations. Since then, all tracks could race on Sundays. But at Lime Rock, Sunday racing was banned through an injunction that dates back to the late 1950s.

Last year, the Salisbury Planning and Zoning Commission amended its regulations to give it jurisdiction over allowable times for racing. The park filed suit and the case is now before the state’s Supreme Court.

Horn said she wanted to open a conversation because there are people concerned about Sunday racing, but she had no intention of following it up until the court case was settled. The Lime Rock Citizens Council was formed several years ago and has been given intervener status for the lawsuit.

Skip Barber, the track’s owner, disagreed with Horn when she said towns have no say on Sunday bans.

“The ruling says local rule can take over for state regulations,” he said. “It’s only a change for Lime Rock if the injunction changes.”

He said the park needs Sunday racing on the large spectator weekends because it already lost the Memorial Day event.

The park is seeking the option of having five Sundays of unmuffled racing, but Barber said it only plans to use two of them. The extra three days will offer flexibility if needed. It also seeks to have some muffled races on Sunday, Barber said. By moving around the schedule on the long weekend events, “there won’t be one minute more of noise,” he said.

Barber said this schedule seems to scare neighbors who think the park is going to expand, but the crowds are smaller, there is less traffic now and the park is open fewer days. He added there is less noise on both muffled and unmuffled days.

Brittany Sherwood, who along with her husband own Tents Unlimited in Torrington, said the park is one of its largest clients and supporters.

“If you allow the Planning and Zoning Commission to regulate it, it may become a small-town issue,” she said. “I hope the injunction gets lifted. The events held allow them and us to be more profitable.”

John Sweeney, a contractor who works at the park, told Horn legislation is needed to help businesses.

“This bill is about overregulation and should not go through,” he said. “I will fight tooth and nail to see this doesn’t go through.”

Resident Denny Jacobs said Lime Rock Park is so much more than a business.

“What everyone is nervous about is that if the Planning and Commission can regulate times of businesses, it can happen to all of us,” he said. “Without Lime Rock we’d be devastated. We’d be done. If he needs a couple of Sundays, give it to him. Represent us, Maria.”

Glen Royals of Royals Garage in Torrington said his business has held many charitable events at the park, raising money for worthy charities. Those could be in jeopardy if the track’s hours affected attendance, he said.

Resident Peter Oliver asked Horn about the impetus for proposing the legislation.

“Who were you approached by?” he asked. “I don’t understand the concept that more regulation is necessary.”

“This is not a proposal to add more regulatory authority to the track,” Horn responded. “It came from people concerned the court ruling will take away all town regulations. They question why Sunday should be treated differently than any other day.”

One man told her, “You need to be honest. You’re only three weeks in office. Why not pick up the phone and talk to the parties involved?”

Horn agreed she should have done that, but said she had just started her term and was faced with a Jan. 18 deadline to propose bills.

When pressed about who pushed for a bill, Horn said the Salisbury Board of Selectmen approached her, as did several individuals.

Wendy Anderson, a Lime Rock resident, said Sunday racing would negatively affect Trinity Church and Music Mountain, so the ban should not be changed.

Barber told the crowd if the park loses the ability to hold large spectator weekends, it won’t go away. He’s made arrangements for a trust to take over the park when he retires, but it would be scaled back, resulting in a loss of jobs, and hotels and restaurants suffering.

“You’d get the worst of everything — cars going around and no revenue,” he said.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:21 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Glyndellis
Was this not Meigs Field on the island, rather than Midway?
OT, but ding dong the bill is dead.

Yes it was Meigs Field, disposed of in the "Chicago Way" - in the middle of the night. The stranded aircraft had to take off on the taxiway.

If it wasn't for MS Flight Simulator I doubt a lot of people would know about its existence.

-Mike
Old 02-11-2019, 09:25 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,293 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Awesome - I can't believe they forced her to see the stupidity of her actions and that she was actually hurting her constituents. Over the years Connecticut has driven out the insurance industry, hedge fund/private equity industry, several large bank and tech companies, and as of less than two years ago, GE world headquarters. This is not the result I expected so soon!

In other news hell froze over earlier today!
Old 02-11-2019, 11:50 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

WHEW!!!
Old 02-12-2019, 08:31 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Awesome - I can't believe they forced her to see the stupidity of her actions and that she was actually hurting her constituents. Over the years Connecticut has driven out the insurance industry, hedge fund/private equity industry, several large bank and tech companies, and as of less than two years ago, GE world headquarters. This is not the result I expected so soon!

In other news hell froze over earlier today!
When pressed who pushed her to introduce it, she cited the Salisbury Board of Selectmen and some other “concerned citizens.”

She was a newly seated (less than a week) legislator who was coopted by one activist (anti-track) side to introduce a bill she only had three weeks to rush to put together. She was asked why she hadn’t just picked up the phone and talked to her broader constituency and she had no good answer.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:10 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Local businesses rely on the track..
Old 02-12-2019, 09:54 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Great outcome! Now the wait for the State Supreme Court ruling. Glad to read about local businesses standing up and supporting LRP!

Quick Reply: anti-Lime Rock bill proposed in the CT Legislature