Sponsored by:

Transmission Damage

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 12:04 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I can think of two instances where suspension changes could cause issues with other components.

First - oiling issues - lets say hypothetical car "X" corners at 0.9g. Everything is fine. Now you modify the suspension, add sticky tires, and now the car can corner at 1.15g. This pulls more oil away from where it normally is, and could cause a bearing to run dry.
I'm not saying this is what happened here, you asked for hypothetical.

Second - shock to parts. Say you replaced the shocks and really dialed up the rebound. Stock - the car goes around a corner with your foot on the floor, you hit a bump or a curb with the inside wheel, it stays in contact with the ground, the tire doesn't spin. Modified - you hit the same bump or curb, the tire loses contact with the pavement, spins faster, and then touches the ground again and there's a shock sent back in the driveline as the tire has to match the speed of the car. Again, I'm not saying your car, this is hypothetical car "X" that doesn't have psm or a limited slip or anything to prevent the wheel from spinning.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:47 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Note: the parts list for the GT4 Clubsport MR includes a item listed as a "Driveshaft Spacer 10mm" and calls for four. This likely indicates that PMNA acknowledges that the shafts need to be adjusted when lower the car and using adjustable control arms.

Cheers,
Old 01-17-2019, 01:04 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt R
I can think of two instances where suspension changes could cause issues with other components.

First - oiling issues - lets say hypothetical car "X" corners at 0.9g. Everything is fine. Now you modify the suspension, add sticky tires, and now the car can corner at 1.15g. This pulls more oil away from where it normally is, and could cause a bearing to run dry.
I'm not saying this is what happened here, you asked for hypothetical.

Second - shock to parts. Say you replaced the shocks and really dialed up the rebound. Stock - the car goes around a corner with your foot on the floor, you hit a bump or a curb with the inside wheel, it stays in contact with the ground, the tire doesn't spin. Modified - you hit the same bump or curb, the tire loses contact with the pavement, spins faster, and then touches the ground again and there's a shock sent back in the driveline as the tire has to match the speed of the car. Again, I'm not saying your car, this is hypothetical car "X" that doesn't have psm or a limited slip or anything to prevent the wheel from spinning.
So then. Where is it in the sales contract that it says you can't modify the suspension? If it's there, then no harm, no foul. Plain as day.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:11 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
So then. Where is it in the sales contract that it says you can't modify the suspension? If it's there, then no harm, no foul. Plain as day.
Copied form the 2018 warranty: Starting on page 10 these are excluded from the warranty

• Parts that fail due to lack of required maintenance or use of non-PCNA
distributed parts.

• Dealer-installed accessories not distributed by PCNA. (Refer to the Replacement
Parts and Accessories Limited Warranty in this Booklet.)

• Unauthorized modifications or vehicles with total loss or salvage titles.

• Modifications not authorized by PCNA.

• Abuse, accident, acts of God, competition, racing, track use, or other
events.

Note 1: Components and/or parts that fail during racing or driving
events (including Porsche sponsored events) may not be covered by the
new car Limited Warranty.

Note 2: You should also be aware that PCNA may deny you warranty
coverage if your vehicle or a part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper
maintenance or unapproved modifications.

PCNA recommends only the use of parts supplied by PCNA. The use of
replacement parts not supplied by PCNA may void some or all of your
car’s limited new car warranty. If a replacement part that PCNA did not
supply is used in maintenance, repair, or modification of your car, and
an authorized Porsche representative determines it is defective or not
equivalent to the original part, your claim for warranty repair or some or
all of your car’s limited new car warranty may be voided.

More exclusions on page 30:

• Parts installed in vehicles for racing, competition, or track use.

• Abuse, accident, acts of God, or other events beyond the control of
PCNA, competition, racing, or track use.

PCNA recommends only the use of parts supplied by PCNA. The use of
replacement parts not supplied by PCNA may void some or all of your
car’s limited new car warranty. If a replacement part that PCNA did not
supply is used in the maintenance, repair or modification of your car,
and an authorized Porsche representative determines it is defective or
not equivalent to the original part, your claim for warranty repair or
some or all of your car’s limited new car warranty may be voided.

Track use and racing and modifications to the car are mentioned as exclusions in a few other places as well

Sounds like they are pretty clear about modifications and the possible damage related to those modifications not being covered.

If the suspension mods are not PCNA parts then it sounds like the warranty is void.

Not that I think suspension mods should be the culprit for trans damage. I'm just answering your question.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:53 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Not that I think suspension mods should be the culprit for trans damage. I'm just answering your question.
Thanks, and I guess it's what I expected. As I mentioned with my Marker ski binding example, it's pretty common for manufacturers to just refuse to warrant devices used for "racing" even when the device is clearly intended for race applications. Marker isn't a stylish binding, they're regularly shown in podium shots at world cup events, yet they won't warrant the bindings for racing. Hmm. No doubt some people buy their products because they're "cool" and they've been seen on the podium, but others take the marketing seriously and use them to race. Best to read the fine print? Few bindings are capable of being set to DIN 14 so if you really want to race against Olympic class competitors in a US Ski Team sanctioned Men's Downhill, you don't have much choice.

I suppose the same is true for Porsche. Their image is built on racing, yet they won't warrant their products for that purpose.

It's been over 30 years since I last bought a new Porsche and it's clear to me from what you've written that buying a new Porsche and paying for the warranty is a fools errand unless you just plan to drive it to and from the golf course on Sundays.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:57 AM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not certain why I feel I should be fair to Porsche, but in any case keep in mind that they have not raised any of the warranty exclusions other than suspension modifications. Also, this isn't a new car warranty but rather a warranty on a replacement part sold by Porsche.

Quick Reply: Transmission Damage