Sponsored by:

Transmission Damage

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 10:33 AM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by RichFL
The warranty is on a replacement transmission.
Coincidentally mine is a replacement transmission as well. Replaced under CPO when I bought the car.

PM if you want to compare notes.

Maybe it will strengthen your case if you can find similar failures on cars that have no modifications.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:55 AM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Given the value of the repair it might be worth touching base with an attorney that specializes in lemon law and warranty claims issues.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:17 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Isn't it standard Porsche policy if the car is no longer under CPO coverage due to time or miles, then any parts replaced under the warranty will carry no further warranty on their own after the CPO expires?
Old 01-09-2019, 12:28 PM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Porsche parts carry a 2 year limited warranty.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:30 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Porsche parts carry a 2 year limited warranty.
Yes, parts do when purchased alone outside of a warranty, but there is no warranty when they are replaced under warranty, and the car itself is no longer under warranty. That's what my dealer has relayed to me.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,416 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Yes, parts do when purchased alone outside of a warranty, but there is no warranty when they are replaced under warranty, and the car itself is no longer under warranty. That's what my dealer has relayed to me.
Get that in writing
Old 01-09-2019, 06:57 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

On my Cayman R, the PDK was replaced under warranty. There were track mods on the car and they knew it failed at a track. No issue.
The second time, when the car and new transmission were both out of warranty, they covered half the parts cost as a good will gesture. Ironically, the second failure was shortly after I added a diff cooler to avoid such issues!

In both cases it was some sort of electronic sensor issue, not a mechanical failure. Still, their answer is to replace the whole tranny.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:36 PM
2cupsandastring
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The warranty is on a replacement transmission.
I’m interested in hearing more. I recently purchased a remanufactured PDK with the 2 year warranty. Did your remanufactured unit fail? Within 2 years?
Old 01-11-2019, 05:55 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Unfortunately, it's not the dealer but rather Porsche N.A. I'm going to fight this legally which is why I don't want to get into too much detail.
My experience has been that warranties are typically useless and are becoming more useless by the minute.

I'll give an example. In 2004 I was injured by the failure of a ski binding during a US Ski Team sanctioned Men's Downhill event. My right ski binding, manufactured by Marker, failed at speed, pre-released, and sent me into a fence at upwards of 60 mph. I was evacuated by snow machine and taken to the local clinic, which refused to remove my right boot because they believed the boot was the only thing holding my foot on my leg.

Subsequent to the event, Marker refused to warrant the binding because it had been used in a race. No further discussion. No replacement of the failed binding.

Buy a used car if you plan to race. It's been my experience there is no value at all in manufacturer's warranties during "racing" events. I haven't read yours, but my guess is you'll find a clause that indemnifies the manufacturer in the event a failure occurs during a race or as the result of racing. That has been my very consistent experience over the course of many years. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but maybe it will save you from stressing over a lost cause?

Best Regards,
Old 01-11-2019, 11:10 AM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

To Porsche's credit, they didn't raise the racing issue. To their discredit, they blaming it on suspension mods.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:49 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Rich I’m sorry to here this. I’m kind of not surprised by this but our local Porsche dealers are not that great in helping with PCNA either.

On my 09 Carrera S The Dealer Bert Smith Porsche sold me the car New with a Tubi mufflers...everything else was stock. Car developed a cracked exhaust weld at the header-cat weld and they offered zero help and said the car has no warranty due to aftermarket mufflers and I take the car to the track. I got it fixed after much argument for a week and the Porsche zone manager agreed to fix this time only but Bert Smith has missed out on many Porsche purchases since.

My 2012 Carrera GTS was found to have a PDK oil leak. Reeves Porsche got the PDK replaced but told me I am seriously lucky the car is stock now with no mods on it. I had just turned it back to stock...lots of suspension mods, rear roll bar, exhaust etc. Car was being ppi for new buyer when they found the leak.

I just got a new GT3...I’m leaving it stock...not even a rear roll bar for harness. I did do a side muffler delete and can afford to replace headers if they go bad but another local dealer said if the engine goes bad we will not warranty it due to after market exhaust mod. So I’m considering taking off the new side muffler delete and going back to stock.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:04 PM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Rich I’m sorry to here this. I’m kind of not surprised by this but our local Porsche dealers are not that great in helping with PCNA either.

On my 09 Carrera S The Dealer Bert Smith Porsche sold me the car New with a Tubi mufflers...everything else was stock. Car developed a cracked exhaust weld at the header-cat weld and they offered zero help and said the car has no warranty due to aftermarket mufflers and I take the car to the track. I got it fixed after much argument for a week and the Porsche zone manager agreed to fix this time only but Bert Smith has missed out on many Porsche purchases since.

My 2012 Carrera GTS was found to have a PDK oil leak. Reeves Porsche got the PDK replaced but told me I am seriously lucky the car is stock now with no mods on it. I had just turned it back to stock...lots of suspension mods, rear roll bar, exhaust etc. Car was being ppi for new buyer when they found the leak.

I just got a new GT3...I’m leaving it stock...not even a rear roll bar for harness. I did do a side muffler delete and can afford to replace headers if they go bad but another local dealer said if the engine goes bad we will not warranty it due to after market exhaust mod. So I’m considering taking off the new side muffler delete and going back to stock.

These cases are one of the reasons I see a guys that have great street cars that would do well on track choose to invest in a E46 M3 and track mod it over driving their new 911 GTS. Kind of a shame because in most cases the mods have nothing to do with the failure and any of these cars should be able to tolerate HPDE occasionally. I have a BMW M2 that BMW marketed as a track car you could use as a daily, they even put out a video showing exactly that when they launched the car. Want to guess what they would do with the warranty on my M2 if they found out about my track exploits?

OP there is a Lemon Law/ Car warranty attorney that has a youtube channel named Steve Lehto, the is a contributor to Road and Track and other publications on various car purchase and warranty issues. Personally I would give him call and see if he has any suggestions. He is likely more informed than any of us here.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:40 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Isn't it standard Porsche policy if the car is no longer under CPO coverage due to time or miles, then any parts replaced under the warranty will carry no further warranty on their own after the CPO expires?
That is my understanding. I haven't read it it since they replaced the motor in my Cayenne and I'm long out of warranty. Could have changed.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:40 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

When my PDK box was replaced under warranty, I was told the new one had a 2-year warranty. When it was replaced out of warranty, I was told it had a 2-year warranty.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:14 AM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

The FTC is the enforcer of the Magnuson - Moss Warranty Act and here's a direct quote from their December 2010 Alert - "the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage." The FTC will not help with individual consumer complaints but the courts, especially small claims court depending on the cost of the repair, may be our friend.

Mdrums - good to hear from you and hope to see you at the track. Congrats on a GT3!!!

Quick Reply: Transmission Damage