Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Air-Cooled Cup USA Series

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 03:42 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 914 Likes on 447 Posts

What about the future of air-cooled cars in the GT classes?
Old 01-23-2019, 05:50 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Participation in GT may increase in the short term because people left out in the class split up who don't want to spend money to go slower, or continue to participate in a diluted class, could end up in GT if the car counts are higher and the racing is good. At least that what I've seen happen in the past... Long term is a different story.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:57 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Something to think about in all this as far as run groups, putting E cars on slower tires is going to back them up into the next slower class. That will be very frustrating for both considering the driving dynamics.

So here's where I beg the run grouping gods to please please please please, one more time, please always put SPB with SP1-3.
Did you really just say that ?
Old 01-23-2019, 06:31 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
Did you really just say that ?
Yes. Yes I did. And I'll say it again!
Old 01-23-2019, 09:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Of course the vast majority of people will run the R7 when their competitors are doing so. People don't typically want to race the slowest vehicle. That doesn't prove that they'd prefer to do it if they could run a spec tire that would reduce their costs and put less wear/tear on their vehicle.

I'm curious why Accumoto is getting so much hate? Less wear/tear means less business for a repair shop right? Are they profiting off the sale of these tires or something?

Reading between the lines it seems that hf1 basically summed up what's going on.
+1
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-24-2019, 12:14 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Vintage, it seems. I have a 914/6 GT4 (see my avatar) car that I wouldn't really consider to be in the spirit of vintage. Not sure where I'll be racing it once I get I have time to focus on it and get it running again.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:02 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by stownsen914
Vintage, it seems. I have a 914/6 GT4 (see my avatar) car that I wouldn't really consider to be in the spirit of vintage. Not sure where I'll be racing it once I get I have time to focus on it and get it running again.
connect with Fred Pfeiffer via the PCA Vintage Racing web page contact section (near the bottom of the page). Provide him info on your car and he can confirm where it would fit.

https://pcaclubracing.org/vintage/
Old 01-24-2019, 03:49 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
The idea is to combine the letters. But D is the hardest... and you suggested engine changes for D.
So I merely mentioned easy solution to change a D to an E.
FWIW, Martinson holds a lot of track lap records and his car is a Euro 3.0L SC.
Fully understand Clarke, and in reality there are not that many D cars left running out there. I think the only hope for a D Stock car (even with the best air-cooled drivers in PCA) in the cup series would be no weight limit and even then with E lowering weights I don't think that would even get a D car close to the front.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:23 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 198 Likes on 105 Posts

I wish for PCA to have given the proposal to combine the letter classes into one big group through some sort of BOP (add/remove weight as needed) a
little more consideration. And maybe there’s still time for 2020. I think that’s the solution to smaller fields in each letter class. I personally think it’s a mistake to separate E class into effectively two classes. If PCA and more importantly the majority of racers think that making one tire the spec tire is important in keeping costs down then by all means go and do that but make sure that works for the majority of drivers. I will race where the field is bigger and if that’s E that’s where I’ll be.

PCA has an opportunity now to to listen to the drivers, and from what I’m hearing all they want is for PCA to find a way to combine the letter classes for the 911 cars. I don’t think it’s impossible to do. Find a way
Old 01-24-2019, 08:57 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 914 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by stownsen914
My car is built on an ‘86 Turbo tub. 33 years old is not old enough for PCA vintage. I guess I’ll race for a year or two more and retire.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:13 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Re PCA Vintage - Lot's of discussion re PCA Vintage cut-off date at the end of 2018. Below is a post of the outcome. I am just the messenger and was not involved in the decision making. I am hopeful that they will move the cut off date, we will see. I am not sure if the 911 Cup effort impacted their thinking or not.

From Fred Pfeiffer 1/1/2019: PCA Club Racing Vintage Group will remain with the current rules; specifically, ‘83 and earlier air cooled Porsches will be eligible. We will evaluate opening the years of eligibility later in the year.

My car is built on an ‘86 Turbo tub. 33 years old is not old enough for PCA vintage. I guess I’ll race for a year or two more and retire.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:03 PM
Weston Dillard
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree it's a shame we couldn't find a good way to include D cars for 2019. We couldn't find a good way to remove enough weight, or to combine a few simple mods (like raised rev limit) with a weight reduction to make them competitive with light E cars. Clarke is right that the obvious solution is a high compression engine, basically making a D an E. But that ain't cheap. F cars at their current weight might be really competitive with E less 150#. I'd love to include F if we can prove that theory. As far as G and H, maybe we need to look at finding a way to equalize those 2 classes and have a "911 Cup 2" so we have a place for all the air cooled cars that folks still run.

West
Old 01-25-2019, 01:50 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 479 Posts

What about H/I/J 996 and 997 and Caymans? Will there soon be a Water Cup?

It would be nice if PCA would focus more energy on making the real stock classes come back alive instead of focusing constantly on the mega-budget factory race car classes.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:36 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Here's an idea, 911 only, to get big group of 911 together, aka 911CUP:
D modifies engine to become E.
E gets minus 200#.
964 F drops 270# to become 964 G.
G stays same.
Simple, easy.
This is hardest on D but D is almost gone anyway. And lots of E's used to be D's already.
D to E engine modification is pistons and fuel thingy, about $10k to $11k.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:49 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Here's an idea, 911 only, to get big group of 911 together, aka 911CUP:
D modifies engine to become E.
E gets minus 200#.
964 F drops 270# to become 964 G.
G stays same.
Simple, easy.
This is hardest on D but D is almost gone anyway. And lots of E's used to be D's already.
D to E engine modification is pistons and fuel thingy, about $10k to $11k.
Is it even possible, without some CF body parts, to get an E car down to 2577# w/driver? D/Euro E would be 2502# with driver, of close to 2300# empty. That's pretty light..

Quick Reply: Porsche Air-Cooled Cup USA Series