PCA Race License Mentor

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 10:24 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by GoatFarmer
Did I just read the PCA Club Racing License Application correctly in that someone with a NASA, SCCA, IMSA, BMWCCA, etc.. race license still needs to go through the PCA Club Racing School just like a DE driver with zero race experience? I am a NASA racer who has held a race license since 2010 who is looking to purchase a cup car to be campaigned in PCA club racing. Are you telling me I need to go through rookie school again?
Yes - primarily because some of the rules and procedures are different. It's really no big deal to attend a 1.5 hour meeting, run the practice starts and have an incident free first race weekend.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:24 AM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting. So DE drivers coming up through the ranks with PCA do not go through a formal school with on track exercises before getting a race license? The PCA Club Racing School is just a meeting?

The training I received before getting my NASA race license was pretty intense with side by side drills, many practice starts, random yellow and red flags, off track training, a written test and a final test race. Some students fail and have to try again if they prove to not be safe on track.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:28 AM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Looks like we posted in parallel Frank. I do remember seeing some practice start footage on YouTube while reviewing the recent Sebring race.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:36 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 759 Posts

Racers from other series get a "provisional" courtesy PCA license their first weekend. They attend Thursday night briefing (as have Pat Long, Wolf Henzler, Bryan Sellers, and many other top name pros) and run incident-free all weekend including practice starts. Easy peasy.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:37 AM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Excellent. Thank you guys. This is similar with NASA.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:12 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Interesting. So DE drivers coming up through the ranks with PCA do not go through a formal school with on track exercises before getting a race license? The PCA Club Racing School is just a meeting?

The training I received before getting my NASA race license was pretty intense with side by side drills, many practice starts, random yellow and red flags, off track training, a written test and a final test race. Some students fail and have to try again if they prove to not be safe on track.
Theoretically, you come up through the PCA DE system and you need to get signed off by your PCA Region's Chief Instructor. For most Rookies, the Friday practice starts are the first time they ever do them. It's not a perfect system but it has been pretty successful for quite some time. The "no contact rule" wheeds out people pretty quickly. I think you will like it.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:40 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,293 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Theoretically, you come up through the PCA DE system and you need to get signed off by your PCA Region's Chief Instructor. For most Rookies, the Friday practice starts are the first time they ever do them. It's not a perfect system but it has been pretty successful for quite some time. The "no contact rule" wheeds out people pretty quickly. I think you will like it.
I'm a product of this system and believe many others are as well. As Frank stated the practice or "fun starts" on Friday afternoons before a race give rookie drivers the ability to get a taste of what races are like. It works out pretty well as there are generally a few experienced drivers who take part who mainly want more track time or need to test their cars further.

After driving DE for several years the most intimidating item for rookie drivers is the start of the race. For the first few races I made all the same rookie mistakes of not shifting and not accelerating hard but with time it gives you the confidence.

Rookie racers also get an "X" on the back of their car to let other racers know they are easy pickings they are a rookies and to take care of them.

If you attended enough DEs, and have good car control, racing is not so much of a scary thing as most people believe. To be safe is fairly easy - to be competitive takes practice and skill.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:16 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BMW Trillium Region offers a comprehensive 3 day race school, which I found incredibly helpful prior to racing wtw with pca.
I imagine other BMW CCA regions must do the same.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:18 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 759 Posts

BMW race school is exceptionally good
Old 02-13-2019, 09:38 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
BMW race school is exceptionally good
http://www.gvc-bmwcca.org/BMW_CCA_Club_Racing