Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   PCA Race License Mentor (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1116790-pca-race-license-mentor.html)

PLNewman 12-05-2018 12:39 PM

PCA Race License Mentor

Jumping through all the hoops to get your PCA race license can be intimidating...and confusing. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me privately. Happy to help. If you plan to race at Sebring in February, time to start the paperwork is NOW.

PCA is hiding the 2019 License Renewal, 2019 License Application, 2019 Technical & Compliance, and 2019 Medical Evaluation forms here: http://turbo.pcaclubracing.org/forms/

LuigiVampa 12-09-2018 07:31 PM

Too often people talk about how intimidating the process is so this is a very nice offer. I was fortunate to have some very supportive people around me (drug pushers) to help me through the process.

David993S 12-10-2018 09:29 AM

Thanks for posting the link.

ProCoach 12-10-2018 11:08 AM

Great post, PLNewman!

Dr911 02-08-2019 11:05 AM

Dear OP,

May I just say:
THANK YOU for being my mentor in my first club racing event.

PCA Club Racing traditionally advises rookie license candidates to seek a mentor at their first racing event.

I was most fortunate and very grateful to have Mike James, SpecBoxster multi-podium winner and my friend and teacher since the very early DE days, offer to mentor me through this process.

His indefatigable encouragement, wealth of wisdom and information via countless emails generously sharing links, forms, insider tips, and most of all his consistent, steadfast guidance were invaluable to my getting through this nerve-wracking but exhilarating experience.

Yes, I was a sweaty bundle of nerves, and horrifyingly slow. Still, I survived and successfully earned my rookie license.

What an eloquent demonstration of true sportsmanship, and giving back for love of the sport.

Someday, I hope to honor my mentor by paying it forward to another rookie.

Three cheers for PLNewman!!!

Sincerely,
Dr. 911

MarcD147 02-08-2019 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dr911 (Post 15624531)
Yes, I was a sweaty bundle of nerves, and horrifyingly slow. Still, I survived and successfully earned my rookie license.

Well Done !!

one year ago at Sebring I got my rookie license and your comment describes exactly what it felt like.
This year it was much better, still nerves and sweat but less slow and less uncomfortable in traffic when being dive bombed by much faster classes and drivers or being held up by slower cars without being able to figure out how to make it by them.

it gets better every session :-)

Frank 993 C4S 02-08-2019 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dr911
Dear OP,

May I just say:

PCA Club Racing traditionally advises rookie license candidates to seek a mentor at their first racing event.

I was most fortunate and very grateful to have Mike James, SpecBoxster multi-podium winner and my friend and teacher since the very early DE days, offer to mentor me through this process.

His indefatigable encouragement, wealth of wisdom and information via countless emails generously sharing links, forms, insider tips, and most of all his consistent, steadfast guidance were invaluable to my getting through this nerve-wracking but exhilarating experience.

What an eloquent demonstration of true sportsmanship, and giving back for love of the sport.

Sincerely,
Dr. 911

Sounds like you had a great time and a great humble attitude - congrats!!!!

It's usually the folks that try too hard to be fast on their first race weekend that end up in disappointment.

NaroEscape 02-11-2019 08:43 AM

I have been a mentor to 3 new racers over the years and its always fun to see the transition over a weekend from the "sweaty bundle of nerves" to a bit more relaxed and having fun. Each time it gets easier. We've all been there,
I tell my rookies to get to the track early, give yourself time to set up, get your gear together, make sure the car is running, etc. Give yourself time...breath...relax. Don't rush (if possible). Once Friday schedule starts, it's a hectic day.

Looking forward to having another one this year just starting out in PCA Vintage group!

txhokie4life 02-11-2019 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dr911 (Post 15624531)
Dear OP,

May I just say:

Sincerely,
Dr. 911

Congrats ....

Signed up for my 3rd race in three years -- life and gremlins thwarting my chase for Le Mans... :-)

I've raced and run a ChumpCar team -- but it's a whole different can of worms when running solo.

I don't care if it's your first race or your 10th -- having someone to help you along is invaluable!

Fortunately I have found most PCA'ers are more than happy to be your big brother at the track.

Mike

LuigiVampa 02-11-2019 11:34 AM

This is a real feel-good thread because often times people from other race series talk about the snoobiness of PCA racing.

In truth, I have really never seen it. Many of the people out there are very successful, the 1% of the 1% and in the paddock, away from their more expensive cars, you can't really tell them apart from the guys wrenching their own cars. As in the general public there may be one or two jerks, but I actually think the average is lower in the paddock. Just a good group of people.

I've mentored people in DE and instruct and getting someone involved is very rewarding. If I mentored someone for racing I would be obligated to punt them off the track if they became faster than me! ;-)

Frank 993 C4S 02-11-2019 11:57 AM

I have mentored 2-3 Rookie Racers per year over the past several years and it is always very rewarding when a Rookie approaches the challenge with a humble attitude, is prepared and it just works out. I’ve only had one instance where overambition came in the way of having a good time and it was very sad to see the carnage that resulted.

Veloce Raptor 02-11-2019 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
This is a real feel-good thread because often times people from other race series talk about the snoobiness of PCA racing.

In truth, I have really never seen it. Many of the people out there are very successful, the 1% of the 1% and in the paddock, away from their more expensive cars, you can't really tell them apart from the guys wrenching their own cars. As in the general public there may be one or two jerks, but I actually think the average is lower in the paddock. Just a good group of people.

I've mentored people in DE and instruct and getting someone involved is very rewarding. If I mentored someone for racing I would be obligated to punt them off the track if they became faster than me! ;-)

+1 !

And Mike is good people

GoatFarmer 02-12-2019 09:51 AM

Did I just read the PCA Club Racing License Application correctly in that someone with a NASA, SCCA, IMSA, BMWCCA, etc.. race license still needs to go through the PCA Club Racing School just like a DE driver with zero race experience? I am a NASA racer who has held a race license since 2010 who is looking to purchase a cup car to be campaigned in PCA club racing. Are you telling me I need to go through rookie school again?

NaroEscape 02-12-2019 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by GoatFarmer (Post 15633266)
Did I just read the PCA Club Racing License Application correctly in that someone with a NASA, SCCA, IMSA, BMWCCA, etc.. race license still needs to go through the PCA Club Racing School just like a DE driver with zero race experience? I am a NASA racer who has held a race license since 2010 who is looking to purchase a cup car to be campaigned in PCA club racing. Are you telling me I need to go through rookie school again?

PCA doesn't really have a 'rookie school' per se. Rookies, and other 'invited guests' (people coming off 13/13's and racers from other series) just have to attend the Thursday night orientation meeting. Basically it's the head steward for the weekend explaining what is expected of the drivers, how a PCA race weekend works, and the way PCA conducts its racing business. Orientation. Plus it gives the steward an understanding of who you are and what THEY can expect from you, being new to the program. No big deal. I actually sat in an orientatoin meeting on my own after I had been out of PCA racing a couple years, just to hear if anything changed (it did), so I was more prepared on what to expect on the track.

Each series runs different, good to understand what is going on and ask questions in a nice casual setting.

PLNewman 02-12-2019 10:07 AM

And you need to get through the first PCA weekend without hitting anyone.