Sponsored by:

Tow vehicle helper springs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 01:10 AM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

RedlineMan,

I'm not tweaked at all. I had my Cherokee prior to my Porsche. I think I agree with your 50% rating factor. My tow weight is about 5000lb, so I'd ideally like something in the 7-8000 lb towing range.

I don't think my rig is unsafe, but it is stressful to drive. I can't just set the cruise control and drive home. I have to stay on my toes. While everyone looks at weight & hp to see towability, I think brakes are more important. It sucks that I'm slow going up hills, but I can pull behind an 18-wheeler and go up the mountains at 45 mph. It's when I start comming down the other side of that same hill that things can get a little dicey.

You're probably right on doing damage to the Cherokee. It wouldn't suprise me if I need a new transmission in 2 years. Some may consider this expensive, but I just factor it into my expensables budget. If wanted a cheap hobby, I'm shoot hoops in my driveway instead of tracking a Porsche.

All things considered, in 3-4 years I'll buy a pickup that can easily tow my current rig and I'll probably really oversize it so I can tow an enclosed trailer in the far future.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:03 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jimbo;

Brakes are a good thought too, of course. Even that 1/2 ton Chevy was downright deadly. I shot through more than one red light only hauling 6000lbs! Big trucks usually have big brakes to match!

Another thing I didn't get into, but you mentioned, is stress. I say if it is stressful to drive, it is unsafe!! Load up and look forward to a long draw like to Sebring, Road America, Road Atlanta, VIR. 12-24 hours of hard charging. To draw with a stressful vehicle like that probably adds 3-4 hours worth of effort to the task per day, or another day if you need the rest. Even if you can afford the new trans and springs every couple of years... Who wants to expend the mental energy, especially after a weekend at the track? I need ALL of it I can get in RESERVE.

Fire up the stereo or CB and a good cigar, lay out your munchies, set the cruise at 75, tip the seat back, relax, and enjoy the freedom of the open road. All while steering with one finger. It's the only way to go!!
Old 01-31-2004, 07:08 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get trailer brakes!!!!
Old 01-31-2004, 08:44 AM
DAR951
Pro

This is a little off topic, but I'm in much the same position as Chris and Jimbo951.

Question is, what exactly determines a vehicle GVWR and is there any reasonable (read "cheap") way to increase it? (Exclusive of bigger alternator, trans cooler, etc.) All these helper spring kits carry disclaimers about not exceeding the Mfr. GVWR. Are there any add-ons will bump it up a bit?
Old 01-31-2004, 09:40 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ummmm...

Are there car trailers that don't have brakes? Never heard of it.

DAR - I don't know a good answer. I imagine those disclaimers are to reduce liability when some bonehead with a Cherokee tries to pull a 28' trailer or something. If you needed a little bump in capacity, they probably work OK.

Problem is that - like a track car - You end up having to do EVERYTHING. Stiffer springs. Then... DOH, shocks are too flabby. Man, I need bigger brakes too if I wanna stay alive. Geeez... this thing is so light it still gets whipped all over in the wind. Runs hot too. HELP!

You just can't make a Silk 3/4T Suburban out of a Sow's Explorer!

One of my track buddies used to tow with a Mazda B-whatever 4.2V6 4x. Yeh, believe it or not. 930S on a Trailex. Ran the living snot outta that truck. Blew the trans twice, cracked both heads. Trashed it. We rode him about getting a real tow vehicle till he cracked.

He learned well. '03 Dodge 3/4T Cummins Quad Cab SLT. Now he just smiles! Go big, Gunga Din!
Old 01-31-2004, 10:13 AM
DAR951
Pro

Thanks RLMan... I know what I'm trying to do is marginal, and I too have a bunch of track "pals" on my case to find a real solution.... But like most of us, the number/scope of the project(s) expands at a rate somewhere beyond the available cash...
Old 01-31-2004, 12:08 PM
jc22
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no way to increase GVWR. The GVWR depends on so many factors that you would have to replace them all, including the frame of the vehicle. If you tow over any of the limits set forth by the manufacturer, you are breaking the law. You're warranty will be void which is the least of your problems. If you get in an accident while being overloaded you open yourself up to lawsuit, and your insurance company can drop you on your butt and deny your claim. In other words, DO NOT exceed any of the manufacturers limitations. They put those limitations in place for a reason.

Oh yea, the same thing goes for towing a trailer with no trailer brakes. It is also illegal (in most states).
Old 01-31-2004, 08:44 PM
John Brown
Instructor

Hello Chris.

Suggest you take pains to keep the tongue weight in limits. As you know I'm towing with the little brother to yours - the full size Blazer - and about the same load minus the tire rack. I just move the car around so the load is correct. Also installed some Monroe HD in the back last time. The HD turned out to include 'helper' springs, which I did not know when I ordered them. However, it turns out they work fine, add just the extra little bit I need and are not really noticable otherwise. I'll be interested to see how your air springs work when next we meet. The tools and such get to be a bit much here too. Wish I had a load distributing hitch then wouldn't have to mess with the car location so much.

Had occasion to be talking to a local transmission man here. Long time in the area and excellent reputation. He was critical of the 'light' trannys - 700R4/4L60 - installed in most of the Chevy lineup. But after all was said and done commented that one should "just not use overdrive with a load and then they will last OK". Well, none of us ever reads the owners manuals; guess what, that is exactly what the manual says. Forget overdrive towing. So, I run about 70 MAX which is also about 3000 rpm which is a good limit to make my TRUCK engine last and also, not coincidentally, makes the Blazer, Tahoe, Burban ... a reasonably safe tow vehicle by staying within conservative operating limitations.

Went to look at the new Nissan (???) truck. Did not drive it. But I think Ford and Chevy are gonna be keeping a few more on the lot. Looks to be real nice. I like my small block chevy and drivetrain; but the build quality of the package they came in leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:37 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

No trailer brakes.....yeah, yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah...............

I have pulled the trailer twice without the brakes. No drama, no fatalities, no bent sheet metal or close calls. Am I going to run like that forever? Hell no. I bought a brake controller before I purchased the trailer. Didn't have time to install it. It's going in the truck tomorrow.

Another local PCA guy stopped at my shop the other day with his truck. He has the air lift spring set up. It looks like the right way to go and easy to install as well!
Old 02-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course I have electric trailer brakes. However, I have them set so they max out at an average/typical braking level. But when I need more braking (like in an emergency, or a stop light at the bottom of a hill), the only place to get that extra braking from is from my Cherokee, and the Cherokee doesn't have much extra braking to give. I assume a heavier duty pickup would be better.

Quick Reply: Tow vehicle helper springs?