Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 rotor/pad combo

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 07:54 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

I ran Giro's and RE10'd this year. Rotors look great and pads may make 1or 2 DE's next season. I was a Paid fanboy until the RE10's. The modulation is a cut above.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:19 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Stock pads are Pagid, and it seems like lots of people got good track life out of them, so if the DS2500 don't work (no biggie, they were free), I'll try the stock pads sitting in my garage. With the bigger rotors and cooling of the GT3, I don't expect the DS2500 to fade, but we'll see. Also, without all the nannies on, it puts even less heat into the system. Maybe the stock pads are actually more track-ready than the DS2500? Hard to know since it's an OE spec Pagid, so requires actual track testing.
I will be interested in hearing what you find out....correct your car has better brake cooling than mine. Keep us posted...thanks much! Mike
Old 11-15-2018, 12:35 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
I spoke with Clark at Apex Performance and he says the DS2500 is a more aggressive pad than the stock Porsche pad. If the stock Porsche GT3 pads are in fact by Pagid that would answer a question many non-GT3 owners have as Girodisc sells a rotor where we can use the front GT3 brake pad size.
Good to know.

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Mvez,
It's unlikely that the OEM Pagids are more track-worthy than the Ferodo DS2500. While I'm not exactly certain on the OEM compound, we've tested a couple of Pagid 'Sport' compounds on our brake dyno. What we've seen is that the DS2500 can reach considerably higher temperatures before its friction level starts to taper off. More importantly though, is how that friction/mu level tapers off. The DS2500 has a gradual decline in mu with temp increase, which provides plenty of warning if they're starting to get overheated. The lower level Pagid compounds we tested (and many, many other branded sport pads we've tested) have a much more abrupt decline in mu when they get really hot. That means a BIG surprise/pucker-factor moment when you are barreling into a brake zone...the pedal remains hard, but the car just doesn't slow down...not fun! :O
As noted, we've had several fast drivers in fast front engine cars work the DS2500 pretty hard on the track without fade. Those cars tend to be very hard on front brakes. I'm therefore doubtful you'll do so since your car is more balanced on front/rear usage. That said, you seem to be haulin' the mail, so who knows. I'm optimistic that they'll be what you're seeking, but we won't know 'til we know. Thanks for giving them a shot in the name of science.
Makes sense. While another RL'er experience with the DS2500 is valid and real, such as the non-GT3 mentioned, it's a heavier car with smaller rotors, less cooling, and different TC systems which can certainly generate more heat, and have less ability to dump it. Before I got enough brake cooling to my 987's PFC08's on stock size rotors, it was a disaster, but it wasn't the pad's fault. It all works in concert together. Soon as I added adequate cooling, presto, all worked fine.

My shop has put brake temp strips on GT3/GT4 calipers and they don't get very hot. It's very likely the reason that you can take a stock Pagid pad to the track and not fade it, as many report. My guess is if you put that same pad on a C2, or GTS, you might see some fade at the track, especially if you keep the nannies on.

I can also tell you without a shadow of a doubt, brake temps are higher on a GT3 when you leave everything on. In fact, the one session I initially forgot to turn them off, I also noticed my tire pressures shot up higher and faster, another indicator of how much the stability systems are working, most of which involves selective braking these days.

Point is, you just don't know until you try it. Thanks for stepping up, this may end up being a very good exercise that opens up another solid pad choice that many never thought was "enough" for hard-core track duty.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:47 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rezanourai
I recently upgraded my 991.1 C2S track car to a 991.1 GT3, and so far love it on the track (have been out once so far, going back out next week).

As I wear through the stock rotors/pads, I've been thinking of what good options for this car are. For my C2S, I ran Sebro slotted rotors and Pagid RS29s and while I didn't hate them, I didn't love them either. The initial bite was moderate, and the heat capacity and fade after 3 or so HPDE sessions was not great. By the end of the day, my brake distances were longer and didn't instill confidence. I tried RSL1's in front, and I tried RS19s originally.

For the GT3, the stock brakes feel almost like my RS29s did. In fact, looks like the pads are by Pagid (says so right on them) but they are not the usual yellow endurance pads. They also squeal a good bit, so makes me think the OEMs are at least more track-oriented than stock C2S pads. However, I'm looking for something with a more bit bite and consistency throughout the day. What are popular options? I've heard great things about Girodiscs + Raybestos pairings...
with anything other than stock OEM brakes, you will have a harder time beding them and the RS29s being endurance pads, will actually not have the grip "bite" as even a stock pad, however, if you want a great pad for the track and street, go to a mild race pad like a RS14, (pagid black) . it has a high temp rating and a good bite too. (it was used by most of the GT3 supercup series cars for a long time) also, it doesnt dust much. But, if you want any pad NOT to squeal, you need to use my bedding procedures..... it is the only way to simulate what the brake dyno does in matching rotos to pads. I've sent this process to 100s of people and most all have had great results.

let me know if you want a copy of it and ill send it. PM me

Mark

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 rotor/pad combo