Sponsored by:

Need guidance. Want to start racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 11:54 PM
MaynardZed
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
What evil bastard made this spreadsheet up and violated the most important rule - NEVER EVER ADD IT ALL UP!!
Ain’t that the truth!

I’m in my 3rd year of W2W racing in my BMW E36. Very popular chassis out here in the West for club racing. At roughly 12/1 weight to power its plenty fast enough. Costs are reasonable to run and I’m really lucky that our race shop mechanic is at most every event. Sometimes he’ll race against us too.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:57 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I bought a midpack SSM miata for $7500. Mindy raced it for 8 years and then we sold it for $7500.

Brake pads cost $100. Contol arms are $75. Brake rotors 20. You buy parts at napa.

Its the most fun you can have for the money. Just saying.

Scca race school is a really good experience, too.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:00 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadaver

oh I know Karl. He has been taking care of my street cars. He is who I am hoping will service and support whatever I get. Solid guy. I’ve been on the track with him and his LS powered 944. Wow! That’s some serious driving. I mentioned the spec cayman class to him today and he said the engines are crap and don’t hold up. He has been busy lately so haven’t had much time to pick his brain. Suppose to catch up with him this weekend. Right now I’m leaning towards SPB or SP996. May need your help soon ProCoach. Heard a lot of good things about you as well!

The M96 in the spb and sp996 are even worse than the m97 in the spec cayman. only benefit is that spb motors are cheap on the used market. less so for spc or sp996.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:27 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
The M96 in the spb and sp996 are even worse than the m97 in the spec cayman. only benefit is that spb motors are cheap on the used market. less so for spc or sp996.
They are all good motors once IMS and oiling (deep sump) is resolved. SPB motor replacement (with decent used one) costs about $7k including labor.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:05 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Disagree

I've seen one ever spb motor pop. I know guys with 10 seasons on their motor with very little power difference versus a brand new crate motor

That first gen is way under stressed / most of us don't even run ims bearing changes anymore

Deep oil pan / don't over rev it
Old 11-02-2018, 11:24 AM
russell263
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

II’m willing to spend up to $100k on a car but I think an ideal range would be in the $50-70k range. I realize that probably rules out a gen2 GTB1.
Here's 2 GTB1 Gen2 cars very close to the top end of your ideal range. So I wouldn't rule them out if that's the direction you plan to go

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-race-car.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...ades-gtb1.html
Old 11-05-2018, 03:17 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by hf1
They are all good motors once IMS and oiling (deep sump) is resolved. SPB motor replacement (with decent used one) costs about $7k including labor.
Originally Posted by audipwr1
Disagree

I've seen one ever spb motor pop. I know guys with 10 seasons on their motor with very little power difference versus a brand new crate motor

That first gen is way under stressed / most of us don't even run ims bearing changes anymore

Deep oil pan / don't over rev it
I can give you at least one SPB racer on his 5th motor and there are plenty of others.

The m96 is not a good motor. Its got roughly 35 catastrophic failure modes. IMS, AOS, oil starvation, cracked heads, bore scoring, etc etc. Its a complete piece of junk.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:48 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

If you live in California get a SP911, if you live anywhere from Texas to the Atlantic, get a stock E class pca 911.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:11 PM
Cadaver
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

I really appreciate everyone’s thoughts and help. Still doing my research. Currently looking at SPB route. I think it will be fun and consumables will be cheap. Plus I think it would be a good platform to learn on and hopefully move up in a season or two. Seems like they retain value as well. I also looked at spec racer ford. Just seems like where im at in the Midwest the SPB will allow me to run PCA, as well NASA, and even SCCA with minimal changes. Even though I have decent DE experience I don’t think that will necessarily translate to wheel to wheel transition much, if any. Last thing I need is to get in over my head with a car that could get me in trouble. I really like the cayman classes such as Spec cayman and GTB1/2 but not many running those cars here.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:21 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

I really appreciate everyone’s thoughts and help. Still doing my research. Currently looking at SPB route. I think it will be fun and consumables will be cheap. Plus I think it would be a good platform to learn on and hopefully move up in a season or two. Seems like they retain value as well. I also looked at spec racer ford. Just seems like where im at in the Midwest the SPB will allow me to run PCA, as well NASA, and even SCCA with minimal changes. Even though I have decent DE experience I don’t think that will necessarily translate to wheel to wheel transition much, if any. Last thing I need is to get in over my head with a car that could get me in trouble. I really like the cayman classes such as Spec cayman and GTB1/2 but not many running those cars here.
good idea about running a car that is popular in your region. Keep in mind that for most Porsche race cars, buying it is usually the cheapest part.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:01 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I can give you at least one SPB racer on his 5th motor and there are plenty of others.

The m96 is not a good motor. Its got roughly 35 catastrophic failure modes. IMS, AOS, oil starvation, cracked heads, bore scoring, etc etc. Its a complete piece of junk.
Sure. That’s why SPB is the most popular PCA class. People just love replacing crappy engines for fun.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:00 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a great time racing the SPB
The weak spot on the car is the transmission
Like many have said, race something popular in your area
Old 11-05-2018, 09:06 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
What evil bastard made this spreadsheet up and violated the most important rule - NEVER EVER ADD IT ALL UP!!

I don't know about that. From the looks of it, those are the numbers you give the wife.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:14 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by hf1

Sure. That’s why SPB is the most popular PCA class. People just love replacing crappy engines for fun.

Its popular because its relatively cheap, the cars are not intimidating, and donor cars are easy to find. A 2.5l motor is only like 2k to 3k so its not world ending when one fails but dont sit there and tell me its a good motor for track use. If you think otherwise your ice engineering knowledge is limited.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:50 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Its popular because its relatively cheap, the cars are not intimidating, and donor cars are easy to find. A 2.5l motor is only like 2k to 3k so its not world ending when one fails but dont sit there and tell me its a good motor for track use. If you think otherwise your ice engineering knowledge is limited.
I think most end up without ever thinking about motor issues (trans yes, but not motor)

Quad - sorry your experience has been different, but in my ~75 hours or so of driving a SPB I have had no motor issues. Fortunately that experience is shared with the front of the pack in all regions in the US.

Quick Reply: Need guidance. Want to start racing