Sponsored by:

VIR with NNJR

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 04:56 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Man do I suck!! Geesh. Guess my 2:14:42 isn't as fast as I thought it was.
You guys are amazing drivers. Guess I have a longer way to go than I thought....
If you keep doing 50 day seasons you'll be there very quickly
Old 10-30-2018, 04:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
Here is the vid with my fast lap init. Lap 3
Nice lap. Wouldn't expect anything else from you! Great to see you back out.

Too deep a turn in at T3 (but extra points for being in good position laterally), pinching the entry into T4b (crossing over centerline too early), early into T8 (follow T7 around a little more, THEN back right), good speed at T10 but entry can be further right, excellent speed into T11 (although there's more, due to the throttle blast), FANTASTIC Oak Tree (clean, CLEAN exit), let it out to soon exit of T14 (pinching T15 entry, long part throttle as a result), pinching the entry of T16a (resulting in two brake zones, not one, and braking ending too late), but really nice!

Again, great to see you back out!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-30-2018, 04:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Man do I suck!! Geesh. Guess my 2:14:42 isn't as fast as I thought it was.
You guys are amazing drivers. Guess I have a longer way to go than I thought....
Well, when you consider the depth of knowledge, experience and just plain HUSTLE Matt brings to the equation, he is at the top of the pack, for sure.

You did well for your first time. There's plenty of room to grow and you emerged with your trophy, a nice shiny car less a little brake pad and tire rubber, ready for fifty more days.

Congrats on a terrific inaugural year.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The crazy thing is, data says the car will go 1:57.8, which is what I said getting out of the car, that it could go 1:57.
Yep, see that happening, and without drama. Nice!
Old 10-30-2018, 05:30 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
If you keep doing 50 day seasons you'll be there very quickly
Pretty sure that 50 day gig was a one time thing, but getting 1/2 that for the rest of my life should do the trick, right? Well, that, a faster car, and more coaching and instruction (priceless to me).
The one thing I take away from Thundermoose and Matt's video is how smooth they are. Inputs are so gentle yet so precise. I can only imagine how good that must feel behind the wheel.
I am constantly trying to be smoother, and with that smoothness seems to comes speed. I am not the natural that Matt is, that's for sure. Bet I could ski circles around him though....
Old 10-30-2018, 06:16 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Nice lap. Wouldn't expect anything else from you! Great to see you back out.

Too deep a turn in at T3 (but extra points for being in good position laterally), pinching the entry into T4b (crossing over centerline too early), early into T8 (follow T7 around a little more, THEN back right), good speed at T10 but entry can be further right, excellent speed into T11 (although there's more, due to the throttle blast), FANTASTIC Oak Tree (clean, CLEAN exit), let it out to soon exit of T14 (pinching T15 entry, long part throttle as a result), pinching the entry of T16a (resulting in two brake zones, not one, and braking ending too late), but really nice!

Again, great to see you back out!
Thanks Peter. I agree with all of it.

I was just happy to be back at one of my favorite tracks and to finish a year out that was still pretty tough for me physically given the medical hell I went through (that still continues), but very rewarding to be back in a car. I am still trying to build back some of the precision skills I used to have and get the reflex's tuned back up. I would have liked to try a session without a passenger as I had one every session once the Hoosiers went on, but I also enjoy sharing the ride with people so no harm, no foul. I had developed a bad braking habit of spiking the brake pressure right before turn in a few years back before the medical woes so it was nice to see that has faded away also. Now I just need more seat time (and a couple more operations!).

Finishing the year with a smile on my face however has made me almost forget the hell of last year and got me energized for next year. I just hope I can meet my goal of actually racing again next year.

One step at a time.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Finishing the year with a smile on my face however has made me almost forget the hell of last year and got me energized for next year.
Great to see you back out. Have enjoyed your videos in the street car!
Old 10-30-2018, 07:29 PM
Rceron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I had a 1:58 in an E46 M3 in August!

https://youtu.be/F4fDrhZmi1k
Nice video. Out of curiosity what tires were on this car?
Old 10-30-2018, 07:42 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Rceron
Nice video. Out of curiosity what tires were on this car?
Sticker A7's. Though my coach did a 1:59.1 in traffic on 12+ HC Hoosiers.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:07 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Glad the advice worked out Bruce. It's a common problem that many of the drivers I rode with where doing - Turning in early at Oak Tree.

Great weekend for me also. After missing the event the last two years for medical issue's, I was determined for that not to be the case again this year despite heading for more surgery in two weeks. So I took the wife's 991.1 GT3 and got to try it on the new 20 inch Hoosier's for the first time. I had a goal of going below 2 minutes and got a bunch of 1:59's ending up at a 1:59.42 late Sunday. Amazed that a street car with nice tires will go that fast there.
Matt, so happy that you managed to get out to VIR this year, I missed out unfortunately (paid my DE dues to the wife - her and her girlfriends went on a girls trip to Cancun while I watched the kids). Wow 1:59 is hauling, all I can say is thank you for posting you video so I can spend all winter and all of next year watching it in order to learn where and how to close the 9 secs gap LOL!! Best of luck with the upcoming surgeries.

Bruce, you’re a beast! 50 days...!!
Old 10-30-2018, 11:22 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yep, see that happening, and without drama. Nice!
considering my 220lb *** was sitting in the passenger seat when he ran the 59.4 it would prob do a 57 just by removing the passenger.

My my first trip to VIR was a disappointment. Sat out Friday due to rain then first session on Saturday had a caliper failure that put the car on the trailer. Went 2:05 that session just figuring stuff out but the quest for 2:00 flat or better wasn’t to be. Thanks to some really great people I did get a session in a cayman clubsport and my brother’s RX-7 but didn’t want to push things in borrowed cars. I’ll be back before long.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:24 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Here is the vid with my fast lap init. Lap 3

https://youtu.be/KmXSqvIeiWQ
very nice!
Old 10-31-2018, 02:34 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Great event. Got a new personal best time. Great organization. Luckily the weather from Friday cleared early Saturday and we got two great days.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:47 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Thundermoose and mm
Great driving and perspective of VIR.
It looks like a great track, I hope to get there someday
Old 10-31-2018, 05:00 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Thundermoose and mm
Great driving and perspective of VIR.
It looks like a great track, I hope to get there someday
Zone 2 DE in March. Put it on the calendar now!!

Quick Reply: VIR with NNJR