Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren Track Day

Old 10-21-2018, 11:29 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts
Default McLaren Track Day

The RDS Automotive Group hosted a McLaren Day at the Lightning course at NJMP Friday. RDS also owns Porsche of the Main Line and a few Porsches were there including a GT3 Touring. I was an instructor and the owner of my car shared the car with my two students, neither of which had ever driven a McLaren or been on a race track. By the end of the day, one of my students was getting point byes. The car was a 570S and was in "Track Mode". I've instructed in several 991 GT3s that I thought were pretty fast. The McLaren is another level. The nannies kicked in once which helped us stay on the track and occasionally throttle response seemed limited.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:33 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,651 Posts

They're great cars and the MacLaren Track Telemetry tool is a great, built-in video and data tool to review these student's sessions.

Thanks for sharing!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-22-2018, 06:23 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

@OP: Can you comment on how the Mclarens did throughout the day ? Did they run flawlessly as we have come to expect from our Porsches ? Or was it a mixed bag with (lots of) technical issues ?
Old 10-23-2018, 02:07 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

What did you think about the understeer? Every Mclaren I've driven from MP4-12C to 720S had a pretty good amount of push on turn in (stock trim).
Old 10-23-2018, 03:06 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 280 Posts

You also need to push the ESC button once. ESC Dynamic mode will appear on the screen. Still there but less intrusive. In normal mode any slip angle and car may thing it is raining. Throttle will not be limited in Dynamic mode but it will allow a much larger slip angle before intervening. I tried it at autocross and could not spin the car and I really did try.
But normal esc is best for noobies.

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
. The car was a 570S and was in "Track Mode". I've instructed in several 991 GT3s that I thought were pretty fast. The McLaren is another level. The nannies kicked in once which helped us stay on the track and occasionally throttle response seemed limited.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: McLaren Track Day