Sponsored by:

Bridgehampton

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 11:11 PM
Ron Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jimbo1111, 1:53 is a good lap time for your car. In 1973 my partner, Bruce MacInnes (senior Skip Barber instructor) set a lap record in a Formula B (Atlantic) March 73B of 1:34. The best I could do in an identical car (we were on a two car team) was 1:35.5. We finished first and third in the race.

The "Bridge" was one of the best three road courses on the east coast. The others are Mosport and Road Atlanta, in my opinion.

Ron Cohn
'97 C2S
Old 02-04-2004, 10:43 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

posted by Ron cohn:
Jimbo1111, 1:53 is a good lap time for your car.

It's not the cage it's the bird.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:36 PM
Ron Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jimbo1111: This "bird was quicker at other tracks! But the "Bridge" was the "bitch".

Ron Cohn
Old 02-05-2004, 09:58 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

I could only imagine what a formula B car would feel like at the Bridge or any track. 20 sec. on that track is substantial for sure. Just to give some an idea of the kind of speeds carried at that track. I went off on turn 13 and it wasn't until half way down the strait that the car went off the road. What felt like for ever. It doesn't look like we will get another shot at her. But we could dream. Your always a few sec. faster in your dreams anyway. I really enjoyed this thread. Bought back some very happy memories. Regards Jimmy
Old 02-05-2004, 06:11 PM
Ron Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Same for me. It was an amazing track. I am getting too old to remember the corner numbers. I only remember Echo Valley, Ahrents, Millstone (never went fast enough through there) and Hansgens bend, possibly the most demanding stretch of track in N.A.

Maybe I'll see you at Lime Rock or the Glen.

Ron Cohn
Old 02-11-2004, 08:48 PM
Jerry
Instructor

I did see a race on tv once must been from the mid 60's with the big name of the day. The hardest part of the track was learning how deep you could/would go into turn one off the straight before braking.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:52 PM
Ron Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

In a F-C or F Atlantic car turn 1 was flat out. Most cars did not brake on the downhill, at least the fast ones. The biggest problem is that the track funneled under the bridge (at the end of the straight) and then dropped two tiers over blind apexes. You could not see the apexes but knew where you had to point the car, with experience. This could be as fast as 140-150 MPH in some cars. It was an awesome corner, named after the late Walt Hansgen, who was blindingly fast through this section.

The next corner was Millstone, a sweeping right hander leading toward the right-hander entering Echo Valley. Once you exited Echo Valley, you crested a hill and went down a fast, sweeping, bumpy left turn. I once swapped ends in a my first National race in a Chevron F-3 (C) car and was nearly T-boned by another car. Luckily, I stayed on the track and did not flip in the sand, or get hit by another car.

The other truly great corner was the one coming on to the straight, called Ahrents (sp?). This was a double-apex turn with another blind entry cresting a hill. If you blew it, you were either off the track upside down in the sand dune or had a slower than optimal entry to the long, slightly uphill straight.

Ahhhh......thanks for the memories!

Ron Cohn
C2S
Old 02-12-2004, 12:49 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Even though the bridge has such a long strait I could only muster 143 mph becauses of the uphill. My second time there my DE instructor quickly signed me off after vomiting all over my interior. To bad racing has become a big money sport. There are so many guy's out there that will never be able to show case there talents because of money.
Ron do you still race professionally?
Old 02-12-2004, 09:17 PM
Ron Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

No, I have not done any serious racing since 1975. I have only instructed for SCCA, PCA, Ferrari and BMW since then and have done some lapping days in a Skip Barber car. I was fortunate to have gotten in about 45 races from 1970-75. I had one serious accident at the Runnoffs in '71 and got really hurt. The only "professional" racing was the Canadian Formula Atlantic in '73-'74. It was not an extremely professional series at the time but it was very competitive. Many serious drivers came up through F-Atl, such as Gilles Villanueve, Bobby Rahal and others. Bruce MacInnes (Senior Skip Barber instructor) was my partner on a two car team. HE was really quick at the Bridge.

Ron

Quick Reply: Bridgehampton