Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are you guys with little kids making it to the track?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 10:28 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 324 Posts
Default How are you guys with little kids making it to the track?

So both my wife and I work full time, we own our own small businesses. We have two kids, a 13 year old and a 5 year old. I haven't been making it to the track very much, so just this summer I sold my track prepped E36 M3, trailer and my motorcycle and bought a 996 Turbo. Thought was the 996 could still do fine at the track/auto-x but would be far more civilized around town and my son can ride in the back of it. So far, so good.

However, I really only made it to the track 2 days this year and did 1 auto-x. I was hoping to get 1 more track day and 1 more auto-x in but soccer games etc are keeping that from happening.

So how do you guys do it? How do you make it to your kids events and still have the time to hit the track?
Old 10-02-2018, 10:40 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

I don't. Haven't turned a wheel in anger in 3 years. Daughters 6 and 1.5...
Old 10-02-2018, 10:50 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 159 Posts

I gave up everything else.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:26 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

It is a lot harder. My kids are 6 and 4, run the business, travel, etc. I do less of the car prep now and I only do about half the events I used to.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:37 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

We all make time for what is important to us and that includes making time for ourselves.

I started going to the track when my daughter was 6 years old. It's 12 years later and I am more involved than ever before but it is easier now that she is in college.

If you give time to your family you need to make sure you save a little time for yourself as well.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:48 AM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

My lawn doesn't get taken care of very well, but just gotta make it work, Find an hour here and there to work on the car and get the events on the calendar first before it fills up!
Old 10-02-2018, 12:01 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 324 Posts

Working on the car really isn't much of an issue. Since its mostly a street car prep consists of flushing the brake fluid in the early spring and mounting race wheels/tires the day before an auto-x, if I'm going to the track, doing a brake pad swap too.

Biggest issue is time for the event. It's at least a full day away. That means not being around to take a kid where they need to go, which means my wife needs to handle both kids that day. If both have events that day around the same time, that's a problem. Most of my sons games seem to be on Saturdays so maybe I could start going to the track on Sundays instead. I don't like that as I like hitting the track Saturday and then still having a day off before I head back to work but if Sundays are the only way I'll make it, that's what I'll do I suppose.

What sucks is the auto-x's are all on Saturdays only. Ran my first auto-x in probably 12 years this summer with PCA and was really happily surprised at how much fun I had! Would like to run more of them...
Old 10-02-2018, 12:05 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

Had zero time to go to the track when my kids were little.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:17 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

My kids are 12, 9 and 5yrs old and squeezing in track days takes serious planning.

1st thing is having an understanding and supportive spouse, without that, forget about it!

2nd - plan early. Check the track events/days as soon as the DE's/auto-X calendars for your respective regions are published. This way you can check for potential conflicts well in advance

3rd - I've found that it is sometimes easier to register for one or two weekday events, as the kids are in school and the wife only has to deal with homework and bedtime routines and not the full bore weekend kids activity schedule, which can be overwhelming. All you do is take a day or two off work.

All in all, it's a compromise. As said earlier, if it is important to you, you will find a way to make it work. A weekend away from the family every two months or so (or maybe once a month), isn't too terrible if scheduled properly.

Good luck!

Last edited by Akunob; 10-02-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:44 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
If you give time to your family you need to make sure you save a little time for yourself as well.
Truth. Instead of racing cars, these days I race trail marathons. 8-10 hours of training a week and 2-3 weekends a year.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:44 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Try and do one day instead of a two day event. Try and include them as much as possible. The soccer and events don't last forever - attend those as there is no 2nd chance. there will be track days when you come out the other side.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:58 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm divorced and have split custody of my kids - 7 and 11. I have been going to the track both with and without my kids since I have been tracking. My kids love going to the track - have other 'track friends' there, and really enjoy the culture.

Our local PCA is really family oriented and everyone kind of looks out for each other. Usually when I'm on track or in a students car my kids are hanging with our other friends or (in the case of Sebring) sitting in the press box watching until I come off track. If there is an incident - I have full confidence that someone in our collective group will step up.

It's never been a problem for me.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:03 PM
mrRed
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have an awesome spouse and make sure you dedicate lots of energy towards giving time for their passions as well. My wife does jiu jitsu 4x a week for 2-3 hours each and I am sole child rearer while she does that and I’ll leave for 6-7 or so weekends a year leaving her to return the favor. We make it work and call on friends / family for help on occasion. Not easy but it is rewarding for both of us to have passions outside of work and family.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:00 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

another one here that doesn't - make the time. have had great intentions over the last few years, but never make it. my recent panamera purchase indicates that i have all but given up. to be honest, anything my daughter is doing comes before a personal (track) day, anyway. i bought my 951 specifically with intentions to track it - sadly, it never happened. now the 951 is (less than enthusiastically) for sale.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:12 PM
marcus1249
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

I have 2 daughters, 2 and 4 years old, my wife and I made a deal after my first was born. I give her the schedule of events i want to attend as soon as the dates come out and if any of those events conflict with family events or trips the family takes precedent. I also try to do as many of my events as possible during the week so i'm not missing as much family time. i don't do as many events as I'd like but it seems to work

Quick Reply: How are you guys with little kids making it to the track?