Sponsored by:

PDK reliability on the track

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 05:34 AM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by stumil
My Cayman R occasionally goes into limp mode during DE events, and I'm guessing this is heat related. I have an Aim Solo 2 DL that will be wired into the CAN/ECU. Checking page 6 of the Solo 2 DL owner's manual (link below), I don't see transmission oil temp as information that I can read/download from the CAN/ECU. Please let me know if PDK temp is something that I can monitor/download.

Also, I'm considering installing either the LN Engineering or BGB PDK cooler. Which one should I install?

Thanks!

link to Solo 2 DL owner's manual
https://www.aim-sportline.com/downlo...ns_107_eng.pdf

link to BGB cooler:
https://www.teambgb.com/BGB-Motorspo...-p/bgb_tck.htm

link to LN Engineering cooler:
https://lnengineering.com/987-981-pd...ide-mount.html
BGP is "gear side" and uses an external pump, which screams "more stuff to fail" to me (sorry BGP folks). The LN cooler is normally used for hydraulic side cooling (which corrals the heat from the gear side and is also heated by the clutch action, so it gets pretty hot in there), and their kit is pretty awesome. If you already have a gear side cooler, which means the plumbing already works, you can use the same LN cooler on the gear side too. Just call them and they'll work with you. I have the LN deep sump oil pan and their deep sump PDK pan om my 3.6L 911 and it's a big help with the increased heat sink. PDK pan makes changing hydraulic side gear oil cheaper as you only need to replace the filter and gasket, so you can do it more often, as long as you make sure it is done exactly to Porsche fill spec while using strict PIWIS procedures! Working on adapting the LN XXL HX/cooler for the hydraulic side of my PDK this spring. We'll see if we can get it working before summer. Trying to make the motor and PDK run as cool as possible. Then, just drive her well on the track and think happy thoughts!

Last edited by Papamurphdog; 03-16-2021 at 06:02 AM. Reason: add info
Old 03-16-2021, 10:54 AM
Sir Ducer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Papamurphdog
BGP is "gear side" and uses an external pump, which screams "more stuff to fail" to me (sorry BGP folks). The LN cooler is normally used for hydraulic side cooling (which corrals the heat from the gear side and is also heated by the clutch action, so it gets pretty hot in there), and their kit is pretty awesome. If you already have a gear side cooler, which means the plumbing already works, you can use the same LN cooler on the gear side too. Just call them and they'll work with you. I have the LN deep sump oil pan and their deep sump PDK pan om my 3.6L 911 and it's a big help with the increased heat sink. PDK pan makes changing hydraulic side gear oil cheaper as you only need to replace the filter and gasket, so you can do it more often, as long as you make sure it is done exactly to Porsche fill spec while using strict PIWIS procedures! Working on adapting the LN XXL HX/cooler for the hydraulic side of my PDK this spring. We'll see if we can get it working before summer. Trying to make the motor and PDK run as cool as possible. Then, just drive her well on the track and think happy thoughts!

What about Gear Side cooling for LSD upgraded PDK boxes. Lots of heat created with the LSD.... wouldn't the BGB one be better in that case?
Old 03-16-2021, 10:24 PM
schell
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Just ordered the cooler and pan to be installed on Saturday.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:24 AM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Has Porsche added additional PDK cooling to the 718 GT4 (982), or is it basically the same setup as on the 987 and 981 models? Curious if the 718 GT4 track folks are having the same PDK limp mode issues as those of us with earlier models.

Last edited by stumil; 03-17-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:14 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sir Ducer
What about Gear Side cooling for LSD upgraded PDK boxes. Lots of heat created with the LSD.... wouldn't the BGB one be better in that case?
I have looked into the BGP rig. My only reservation is the external pump -- which also has to be switched on/off too -- so just more potential failure points. On my 997.2 doing gear side can't work unless I go to headers to make room. Not sure how to plumb the BGP rig either. I think BGP would certainly work for hydraulic side, and probably work well, but the LN is just a 3XL size version of the factory hydraulic-side heat exchanger, so bolt it on and good to go if you are in a Cayman or Boxster. The LN kit is for Cayman and Boxster; NOT for a 911. But, on my 997.2 3.6L there looks to be a space to place it, so I am working with my shop to see if we can fabricate a good mounting bracket that will fit and be as bulletproof as practical. I'll post here with a link to the Rennlist post when completed, if successful. While were in there, going to think about how to adapt the old HX to the gear side, but not hopeful that is going to work. We'll see. Currently hoping deep oil, deep PDK and cooler water with center rad add on will help keep the whole system cooler. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Papamurphdog; 03-23-2021 at 02:22 PM. Reason: add text
Old 03-23-2021, 10:58 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

I have looked into the BGP rig. My only reservation is the external pump -- which also has to be switched on/off too -- so just more potential failure points. On my 997.2 doing gear side can't work unless I go to headers to make room. Not sure how to plumb the BGP rig either. I think BGP would certainly work for hydraulic side, and probably work well, but the LN is just a 3XL size version of the factory hydraulic-side heat exchanger, so bolt it on and good to go if you are in a Cayman or Boxster. The LN kit is for Cayman and Boxster; NOT for a 911. But, on my 997.2 3.6L there looks to be a space to place it, so I am working with my shop to see if we can fabricate a good mounting bracket that will fit and be as bulletproof as practical. I'll post here with a link to the Rennlist post when completed, if successful. While were in there, going to think about how to adapt the old HX to the gear side, but not hopeful that is going to work. We'll see. Currently hoping deep oil, deep PDK and cooler water with center rad add on will help keep the whole system cooler. Fingers crossed.
Follow-up: while the gear side of the PDK makes heat, I believe no matter how often/fast the gear side shifts, it is just a 'gear box" and a damned fine one at that. So, it's likely that it reaches a max heat range and stays there'ish, while also transferring fairly consistent heat to the hydraulic side (which is certainly hotter during track use, but probably consistently in a range even then). That said, I think the hydraulic side's heat range varies by a LOT as a result of load, shift frequency and mode (normal/sport/sport plus), so, the heat range most likely varies wildly and inconsistently (pissing off the computer all the time), and certainly why there is no PDK temp sensor for the driver -- you'd go nuts!. My thinking is keeping the hydraulic side as cool as practical will help the computer manage better. And, and that keeping the gear-oil fresh, on both sides, will maintain optimum properties for the computer to process, making it much happier. I am thinking the PDK "brain" is looking for "within spec" measurements as it works, so overused hydraulic side oil is likely contributing to ta processing problem. My thesis? Because the LN PDK pan is designed to be a better heat-sink, and easily reusable (with just a filter/gasket refresh - plus fresh oil ) you can easily afford to refresh hydraulic oil every 8 to 12 track days, and do the gear-side oil every other hydraulic cycle, so you can maintain optimum oil properties on each side of the PDK for it's brain to process. I think the PDK issues stem from overheated, "cooked" PDK fluids mucking up the works so the hydraulic valving of the PDK don't seem to function "in spec" according to the computer, and it then has a PDK hissy-fit. :-). Porsche "spec" is legendary. Tracking a "street" PDK often, is not in spec, so of course it's going to reach it's limits. Frequent PDK fluid changes, just like everyone does for motor oil, brake fluid, pads and tires, is a "consumable" in my book. We'll see how long it lasts. I'll report the news here. Hoping for the best.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:39 PM
schell
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Very happy of how the install went on the PDK cooler and Pan, I am fortunate only being a little over a hour from LN Engineering, I actually observed the installation by Andy Rivard great guy.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:48 AM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schell
Very happy of how the install went on the PDK cooler and Pan, I am fortunate only being a little over a hour from LN Engineering, I actually observed the installation by Andy Rivard great guy.
Very cool. I'd love to know if you see any noticeable difference in the water temps with the larger HX unit. Up a little because of the 3XL HX transferring more heat? the same? Or, down a little because it's running cooler overall? I think any scenario is a good one, just wondering which one plays out. Good luck!

Quick Reply: PDK reliability on the track