Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where are you guys getting umbrella and excess liability policies as racers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 05:15 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Where are you guys getting umbrella and excess liability policies as racers?

Only because I amateur race I have been denied umbrella policy or personal excess liability policies which specifically exclude racing anyway. I don''t see what their problems are but who knows....insurance companies! Anyway, you guys must have these policies who are you insured with? Or is there a race friendly sponsor who is an insurance broker on this site I can take to? I don't need this policy for racing. I need it for other typical exposure slip and fall on my lawn etc...
Old 09-13-2018, 05:54 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

You need to request your MIB consumer file to see what information insurance companies have on you. Your denials might not just be because of your amateur racing activity:

https://www.mib.com/facts_about_mib.html

I am insured through USAA.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:36 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

MIB has nothing to do with excess liability coverage
Old 09-17-2018, 12:36 PM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Billybob - Most auto policies have an exclusion for "organized speed events" or some similar wording. A true excess policy is a "following form" policy which means it provides whatever coverage is provided by the underlying insurance. Because the underlying auto policy doesn't cover you while on the track then neither does the excess liability policy. An umbrella policy may or may not provide coverage depending on how it's worded. If it does, and assuming you don't have any primary liability insurance for while you're on the track, it's usually subject to a deductible or self insured retention of $10,000 or more depending on what amount is shown on your policy. For most auto policies, there's no difference between actual racing and DE events. The industry changed the exclusion fron racing to organized speed event years ago so that they wouldn't be covering you regardless of the type of event you participate in.

Sorry, I can't help you find an insurance company that will provide this coverage.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:18 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
MIB has nothing to do with excess liability coverage
MIB has everything to do with information insurers share about you and base their underwriting on.

Quick Reply: Where are you guys getting umbrella and excess liability policies as racers?