Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Singapore Grand Prix 🇸🇬 Who Will Win?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 11:26 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
Another aspect, that sometimes gets overlooked when assessing drivers is their ability to handle pressure. So far, it's become apparent that Hamilton is far & ahead better at handling the pressure at the top than Vettel. Vettel clearly isn't handling the heightened expectations very well while Hamilton appears to be taking it in stride while driving to perfection. My fear for Vettel is that, with 6 races left, he might push harder and make further mistakes that would essentially finish off his title hopes! I read that at this point, Ferrari and Vettel are basically praying for Hamilton to DNF a couple of races in order to stand a chance...
Speaking of which....

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...rrors/3178722/
Old 09-17-2018, 11:50 PM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 79 Posts

I'd love to see refueling come back. I've been watching Indy (the road courses, not ovals) and it's non stop great racing. F1 is either a 1 stop or 2 stop strategy with a 3 second tire change. Not real complicated when everybody else has the same fuel load. I think the refueling component would make a huge difference in F1. I know they dropped it years ago (was it Massa that dragged the fuel filler?) but would think it would completely change everything. It should be more than just this car is the fastest and it has the best driver. It should be about strategy other than soft and super soft tires. It should be about gambling on fuel strategy and fuel loads at the start, during the race and at the end. They need to do something.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:58 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by RSA964993
I'd love to see refueling come back. I've been watching Indy (the road courses, not ovals) and it's non stop great racing. F1 is either a 1 stop or 2 stop strategy with a 3 second tire change. Not real complicated when everybody else has the same fuel load. I think the refueling component would make a huge difference in F1. I know they dropped it years ago (was it Massa that dragged the fuel filler?) but would think it would completely change everything. It should be more than just this car is the fastest and it has the best driver. It should be about strategy other than soft and super soft tires. It should be about gambling on fuel strategy and fuel loads at the start, during the race and at the end. They need to do something.
Do you really think Ferrari wants more things to think about during a race? You think they want more potential complications? They can’t even handle relatively simple pit strategy!!
Old 09-18-2018, 12:09 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,803 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
Do you really think Ferrari wants more things to think about during a race? You think they want more potential complications? They can’t even handle relatively simple pit strategy!!
But that's the point. It's about making the racing have more variables to consider, more challenging, more unpredictable, and more fun for spectators.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:52 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And drivers get to actually race now instead of preserving tires for literally the WHOLE race. Lighter cars, faster average lap times, many more strategies in place. If you have to refuel twice anyways you don't have to wait until the very last box lap to stand on it. A whole race worth of fuel kills the tires. And the times. It could be fuel jugs for all I care. But it would make the racing better, challenge drivers to race more and stregistst to plan more.

The racing aspect took a serious nose dive since refueling left.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:02 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That maybe so but no refueling is safer.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:14 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,905 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
And drivers get to actually race now instead of preserving tires for literally the WHOLE race. Lighter cars, faster average lap times, many more strategies in place. If you have to refuel twice anyways you don't have to wait until the very last box lap to stand on it. A whole race worth of fuel kills the tires. And the times. It could be fuel jugs for all I care. But it would make the racing better, challenge drivers to race more and stregistst to plan more.

The racing aspect took a serious nose dive since refueling left.
Agreed. Yes, it's not safer, but we've made huge strides in car safety, why not refueling? Nearly every other series does it. Without refueling, teams know that whatever pit lane delta of 23-29 seconds depending on the track, is what you need to make up if you want to pit twice. In the days when we refueled, we didn't know what amount of fuel the cars qualified with so their qualifying position wasn't necessarily indicative of their outright speed. It wasn't until the 1st pit stop that you knew how much they actually carried into qualifying and how much fuel (based on the clock X fueling dispenser amount) that someone took on board and calculated if they could go the distance or needed to stop again. It made for great drama until the end.

That being said, I don't know if the Ferrari strategists could handle anymore calculations. Mercedes is playing chess and Ferrari checkers.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:20 PM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
That being said, I don't know if the Ferrari strategists could handle anymore calculations. Mercedes is playing chess and Ferrari checkers.

I think maybe Ferrari doesn't miss refueling.

Debo sends.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:57 AM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 79 Posts

Agreed on the advances with safety and imagine it would apply to refueling as well. Is it even being discussed in F1 or this is the way it'll be indefinitely? I'm a big F1 fan (going to Austin this year and Monaco next year) but the current racing is maybe 3 teams and even then it's not been close except for a few races. The race starts and you basically wait for something to happen during the tire changes. Other than that they get all excited about a battle for 15th or somewhere in the back. Refueling would completely change the level of excitement.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:01 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

The idea that refueling is somehow an impossible art for F1 teams but doable at ARCA seems a little absurd to me.

Quick Reply: Singapore Grand Prix 🇸🇬 Who Will Win?