Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preferred Track Insurance Company?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 12:44 PM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I think these companies generally offer single event, multi event, and/or full season (unlimited event) coverage. Websites are all pretty good. I have been using OnTrackInsurance for the past year or 2, with no claims and reasonable rates. But based on my plans for NJMP in October, may try OpenTrack based on their single event rate.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:45 PM
AlecG
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, I highly recommend Opentrack.

For or me the numbers crossed-over at about 6 events per year.

If if I am going to do more than 6 DE events per year then it made sense for me to buy a full year (unlimited event) Opentrack policy.

Any less than 6 events/yr then it's best (for me) to buy insurance on an individual, per event basis.

Can't wait until I can retire and do 20+ events per year. Unfortunately now I only can squeeze-in about 5 events per year.

It it is wonderful that Opentrack gives the option of a full year policy or a per event option.

Last edited by AlecG; 09-06-2018 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-06-2018, 01:06 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
Are there any companies that sell a seasonal pass good for just a few track DE days per season? I only do 2 to 4 DE days per year.
It really comes down to number of events, rather than number of days. Most single-event coverage is the same cost whether the DE event is 1, 2 or 3 days.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:12 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
If you are doing multiple track days/season (and I mean multiple, not just 2 or 3), then Open Track is a no brainer.
I have used them for 2 or 3 years now. Prices are fine, Ben, Jarod, Sue, and the rest of them are super easy to deal with, and the peace of mind is priceless.
I highly recommend Open Track based strictly on my experience with them.
I second these comments. (And he's a smart guy.)
Old 09-09-2018, 06:41 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have three years of experience with OpenTrack, covering three cars. We have always taken the annual coverage as it is a better deal and gives us complete flexibility, and we go to enough DE’s to make it worthwhile. I have made one claim, and the fault was mine - a minor off with no impact. It was a small claim early in our usage, but it was on our GT3, it was in Canada (we live in the US) and despite the fact it was only minor cosmetic damage to a plastic piece, it was still a five figure repair because I wanted it done right and nothing Porsche is cheap! I was going to cover it myself but when, in passing, Ben heard about it he encouraged me to make the claim. I had video of the incident and an instructor statement. The claim was paid promptly and it was all very painless. Ben involved himself throughout. His staff was superb as well. I don’t believe our deductible increased. There has never been a question about the value I nominate for the cars we insure - old and new. My wife and I are both covered for all three cars. I expect our daughter will be too when the time comes. We haven’t even questioned the value of taking our insurance with OpenTrack in subsequent years, and this season we included the liability coverage happily.They have even been kind enough to allow us to shift the renewal date for our convenience. We can not recommend OpenTrack highly enough. Hopefully this helps anyone on the fence.

Last edited by Banango; 09-09-2018 at 06:44 PM. Reason: To make it yet more verbose
Old 09-09-2018, 09:25 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
I second these comments. (And he's a smart guy.)
Awww shucks...
Old 09-09-2018, 11:01 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,795 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by Banango
I have three years of experience with OpenTrack, covering three cars. We have always taken the annual coverage as it is a better deal and gives us complete flexibility, and we go to enough DE’s to make it worthwhile. I have made one claim, and the fault was mine - a minor off with no impact. It was a small claim early in our usage, but it was on our GT3, it was in Canada (we live in the US) and despite the fact it was only minor cosmetic damage to a plastic piece, it was still a five figure repair because I wanted it done right and nothing Porsche is cheap! I was going to cover it myself but when, in passing, Ben heard about it he encouraged me to make the claim. I had video of the incident and an instructor statement. The claim was paid promptly and it was all very painless. Ben involved himself throughout. His staff was superb as well. I don’t believe our deductible increased. There has never been a question about the value I nominate for the cars we insure - old and new. My wife and I are both covered for all three cars. I expect our daughter will be too when the time comes. We haven’t even questioned the value of taking our insurance with OpenTrack in subsequent years, and this season we included the liability coverage happily.They have even been kind enough to allow us to shift the renewal date for our convenience. We can not recommend OpenTrack highly enough. Hopefully this helps anyone on the fence.
With both you and your wife being covered for three cars, do you pay for one annual policy or two?

Old 09-09-2018, 11:16 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

With both you and your wife being covered for three cars, do you pay for one annual policy or two?
One annual policy.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:56 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,795 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by Banango

One annual policy.
Just to be clear, it’s one annual policy at the normal cost of one policy, not double the cost. Correct?
Old 09-10-2018, 04:51 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve Katz at "on track insurance" has been doing this for as long as I know.
He's one of us, so they get it.

www.ontrackinsurance.com
Old 09-10-2018, 06:45 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Manifold

Just to be clear, it’s one annual policy at the normal cost of one policy, not double the cost. Correct?
Correct. You can just go to their Web site and plug in your figures and coverage desire and a price will pop out. Or you can email Ben or Sue and generally get a response with great alacrity.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:07 PM
mjdcolo
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks everyone! I went with Open Track. Let’s pray I don’t need to use it.

On on to my next question...

Matt
Old 09-12-2018, 09:16 PM
basil2000
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I use RLI as the group i drive with does DE on 1st day and TT on 2nd day. I couldn’t find any of the other companies that would cover time trials.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:16 PM
Ron Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been very please with OnTrack Insurance for several years now. The office staff is very responsive and I can track with confident having their policy in place. Steve Katz is a superb competitor and is very serious about the insurance business. It is his mission to provide affordable reliable insurance for we enthusiasts.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:11 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

Question for those who do events with different clubs: does the event organizer need to be certified with each provider in order to have the coverage options mentioned in this thread? I’ve only done Lockton which is offered as an option on checkout for PCA events on Motorsportsreg. I tried to use them last year for an event with the SoCal Alfa club, but it required paperwork that wasn’t in place so I couldn’t get coverage.

Quick Reply: Preferred Track Insurance Company?