Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preferred Track Insurance Company?

Old 09-02-2018, 11:28 PM
mjdcolo
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Preferred Track Insurance Company?

headed to my first HPDE in two weeks at Mid Ohio. Got my Tech Inspection scheduled, and everything packed. Does anyone have a preferred track insurance company that they could recommend?

Matt
Old 09-03-2018, 12:47 AM
Santi
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OpenTrack has really good rates when compared to the others.

Last edited by Santi; 09-03-2018 at 01:40 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:33 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 375 Posts

Contact Ben at OpenTrack and he'll provide a highly competitive solution.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:23 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Open track makes it real easy.....buy your policy and never worry about adding an event to your "package" unlike Lockton.......drive as often as you like, if you purchase a yearly policy....otherwise, Steve Katz at On track is great to deal with, but doesn't cover Canada, if you go North of the border
Old 09-03-2018, 08:51 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 375 Posts

Open Track now also offers single-day or multi-day insurance and has no problem with Canada. Best pricing, too. It's the only insurer I have found where the multi-day rate reduces the price on a per-day basis. All others, price is the same whether it's a one-day or multi-day event, which makes no sense to me.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:30 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

I've been using Hagerty/RLI. I found their rates better by quite a bit than other providers.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:24 AM
MaynardZed
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've used Lockton mostly, but their website was locked up this past Friday morning (and office closed for the weekend ) as I was trying to get out of town for a track weekend so I tried Open Track. Yes, their rates were cheaper and they had some sort of liability coverage option in case you hurt someone else. Luckily, no incidents over the weekend but the insurance sure does add some piece of mind while tracking such an expensive car. I have a hard time not tracking at 9/10's even in a street car.

I will say that Lockton says they cover for time trials, which none of the other ones do to my knowledge.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:11 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
I've been using Hagerty/RLI. I found their rates better by quite a bit than other providers.
I just looked into Hagerty and their coverage is state specific. The don't offer coverage in my state currently (Colorado).
Old 09-03-2018, 03:59 PM
BillNye
Racer

I've been using open track. For me, they have been the cheapest based on the value of my vehicle. No experience with claims for any of them.
Their rates are a bit more friendly for cars that are a bit more expensive. Playing around with their website I noticed that the quoted rate was the same if I entered between $35k and $55k as my car's value value.

My other friends who's cars are worth <$35k say that opentrack is not the cheapest option for them.

It is also state specific. I had two opentrack policies for back-to-back weekends in different states and there was a 30%+ difference in price between each.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:01 PM
mjdcolo
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone! Looked into them all. OpenTrack has a good rate and offers Liability Insurance. $216 plus $150 for Liability, but $97 taxes & fees. Hagerty is $289. On Track is $286 plus $25 process fee. For me it’s a toss up. The big concern with insurance companies is their reputation. Has anyone had any experience with any of these in making a claim? Hagerty is a well known company. On Track uses Great American Insurance. Not sure what OpenTrack uses.

Any my insight would be appreciated.

Matt
Old 09-03-2018, 05:06 PM
mjdcolo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BillNye
I've been using open track. For me, they have been the cheapest based on the value of my vehicle. No experience with claims for any of them.
Their rates are a bit more friendly for cars that are a bit more expensive. Playing around with their website I noticed that the quoted rate was the same if I entered between $35k and $55k as my car's value value.

My other friends who's cars are worth <$35k say that opentrack is not the cheapest option for them.

It is also state specific. I had two opentrack policies for back-to-back weekends in different states and there was a 30%+ difference in price between each.
I wonder if there is a difference in premium based on the specific track, as well. One might be safer then the other, depending on distance off the track to walls, other obstacles, etc., maybe even track difficulty. Curious if that’s true.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:53 PM
BillNye
Racer

Originally Posted by mjdcolo
Thanks everyone! Looked into them all. OpenTrack has a good rate and offers Liability Insurance. $216 plus $150 for Liability, but $97 taxes & fees. Hagerty is $289. On Track is $286 plus $25 process fee. For me it’s a toss up. The big concern with insurance companies is their reputation. Has anyone had any experience with any of these in making a claim? Hagerty is a well known company. On Track uses Great American Insurance. Not sure what OpenTrack uses.

Any my insight would be appreciated.

Matt
My last OpenTrack policy had Aspen Speciality Insurance Co. on the docs.

Originally Posted by mjdcolo
I wonder if there is a difference in premium based on the specific track, as well. One might be safer then the other, depending on distance off the track to walls, other obstacles, etc., maybe even track difficulty. Curious if that’s true.
It's possible. The difference in mine was from a $50 "Administrative Fee".
Old 09-03-2018, 08:44 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 413 Posts

It's nice to have all these choice we didn't have a few years ago.

Peter
Old 09-03-2018, 08:58 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I’ve been using either Open Track or Haggerty....sometimes 1 is cheaper than the other...but both are highly rated
Old 09-03-2018, 10:52 PM
mjdcolo
Rennlist Member

If not all of them sell Liability Insurance, what happens if you damage someone else’s car or cause damage to the track??? That’s a scary though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Preferred Track Insurance Company?