Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 12:36 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
You do not have to have a HANS

You have to have a head and neck restraint
I use the word HANS to refer to a head and neck restraint like I use the word kleenex to refer to a tissue. Today there are several different head and neck restraints, so yes, you don't actually have to get a HANS from Hans.

WRT the cost, it is quite possible to source a reliable HANS for less than $500 if you look hard enough. Even at "normal" prices, a HANS device costs less than a set of tires even on my cheap race car. It is a one time buy - if you can afford 2-3 sets of tires every year, you can afford a HANS. And this is coming from a professional tightwad. The HANS device has proved its effectiveness - I won't ride in 5/6 point harnesses without one.

-Mike
Old 08-24-2018, 12:42 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
Just like Dale, they don't think that THEY need one.
Footnote in history, Dale was one of the first drivers who tested the early versions and was 100% against them.
I hated how the thing felt when I first got one. Dicking around with the unit, the straps, and the restricted head movement. You get used to it, get sliding tethers, and move on.

I will say one thing, a few months later when it looked like I was going to nail a corner station head on I actually had time to think about being grateful for having it.

Today, a HANS feels good just like the opening shock of a parachute feels good.

-Mike
Old 08-24-2018, 01:11 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 213 Posts

Hearing what you just said Mike, is it maybe worth the extra cost for the actual HANS make? Nothing worse than a bad tissue.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:58 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Keep in mind that companies like Schroth make devices licensed from Hans. I actually have two devices - a Simpson R3 Rage for 3 point belts and a Schroth branded hans for 5/6 point belts.

As to the debate about other hans devices, it can get like debating about which oil to use. However, the debate over hans device seldom hinges on price. The debate on effectiveness is difficult to conclude, but Hans was first, and the effectiveness of their device in professional motorsports is not in dispute.

-Mike
Old 08-24-2018, 04:18 PM
Steve Dawson
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually have two devices - a Simpson R3 Rage for 3 point belts and a Schroth branded hans for 5/6 point belts.
Mike, do you have two helmets, as well? I thought the Schroth and Simpson anchor hardware were incompatible.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:58 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 213 Posts

With all the air bags in the new cars the students are driving I'm not sure if a 3 point HANS is necessary for an instructor.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:01 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Hearing what you just said Mike, is it maybe worth the extra cost for the actual HANS make? Nothing worse than a bad tissue.
Originally Posted by Steve Dawson
Mike, do you have two helmets, as well? I thought the Schroth and Simpson anchor hardware were incompatible.
I fitted a Hans brand tether to the R3 and use Hans anchors. Same helmet works with both. Schroth makes more than one type of head and neck restraint. The one I have looks just like a head and neck restraint made by Hans - it is effectively a Hans HANS.

The Schroth products are listed here: Schroth hans. I have a Super Sport of some kind.
-Mike
Old 08-24-2018, 05:12 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

I purchased my HNR from Demon-Tweeks UK for $250. Manufactured by Stand 21 is FIA rated.....
Old 08-24-2018, 09:09 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,466 Likes on 965 Posts

I have to laugh a bit about H&NR for DE days. Airbags, nannies, windows up, blinkers and all I dont see the need.

I havent heard of a single death in PCA DE days where a H&NR would have have prevented the death.

Lawyers.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:10 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
I have to laugh a bit about H&NR for DE days. Airbags, nannies, windows up, blinkers and all I dont see the need.

I havent heard of a single death in PCA DE days where a H&NR would have have prevented the death.

Lawyers.
I have seen multiple cars totaled in head on crashes during the short time I've been doing DEs. Not sure why you would take the risk of not using a HNR, even if death wasn't the result of the crash serious whiplash could be prevented.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:24 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 113 Posts

The only point I can suggest is try on the head and neck device before buying. I tried a HANS and it scraped my neck every time I put it on. I bought the Schroth as it fitted comfortably. The NexGen fitted but was more expensive. They're all FIA rated but I figured I would actually use the one that was comfortable.

I looked at Demon Tweeks last year and it didn't seem so much of a saving at the time due to the exchange rates. Current rates are about 20% lower than a year ago. It's also interesting that DT can export without paying VAT and that is what makes the stuff cheaper. If you want to pick it up from DT is you're in the UK, the Stand 21 Hans is £235 which currently equates to $302. Still cheaper but you still need the anchors.

YMMV etc.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:08 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,466 Likes on 965 Posts

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
I have seen multiple cars totaled in head on crashes during the short time I've been doing DEs. Not sure why you would take the risk of not using a HNR, even if death wasn't the result of the crash serious whiplash could be prevented.
Please do sight facts not rumors.

Please do share who died and when doing a PCA DE event that would have survived had they been wearing a H&NR system. Please share.

I have been racing and doing DE with POC and PCA for 40 plus years and have yet to see a head on total crash during a DE event. Please, share facts not your SNOW FLAKE please drive safe while on the track fake position.

Whiplash come on...

I am so very tired of these stories.

Facts; dates and track please.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:18 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Please do share who died and when doing a PCA DE event that would have survived had they been wearing a H&NR system. Please share.

I have been racing and doing DE with POC and PCA for 40 plus years and have yet to see a head on total crash during a DE event. Please, share facts not your SNOW FLAKE please drive safe while on the track fake position.

Whiplash come on...

Not sure where the snow flake comments come from, but we all know that DE crash information isn't ever publicly provided. One specific occurrence that sticks with me is an E36 BMW hitting the wall on the front straight of NJMP Thunderbolt after losing it in turn 12. This was a green student, which is a very rare situation and the instructors seat broke upon impact.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:55 AM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to laugh a bit about H&NR for DE days. Airbags, nannies, windows up, blinkers and all I dont see the need..
The logic behind the HANS rule is very simple. If you are using a 6 point harness, you need a HANS. The 6 point belts do not allow the natural decelleration that seatbelts allow. As a result, a 6 point belt system can cause your brain to become disconnected from your spine in a severe accident; that is how Dale died. If you are in a car using factory seatbelts, then you don't need a HANS because the seatbelts have enough give and do not restrain your body in the same manner as a 6 point system..
Nannies "on" because 90% can't drive properly and need the nannies.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:54 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 176 Posts

Whiplash come on...

You're insulting him because he wants to be as safe as he can? Doesn't seem like he's the one with an issue. I've also seen a few cars totaled in front end crashes in less then 20 years of DEs with PCA and other clubs. I also ran with 5 points and no HANS back then but now that they are available and we know more about neck injuries, there's no way I would again. In my race car I have a HANS, halo seat and a center net. If that makes me a snowflake then so be it. My kids want their dad to come home at the end of the weekend. If you want to stick to three points then the new rule doesn't affect you. I don't have a problem riding in a stock car with 3 points and airbags since they mitigate the chances of a basal skull fracture. If a student has harnesses, I use my HANS.

Quick Reply: HANS group buy for PCA