Sponsored by:

Don't let this happen to you

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 01:38 AM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Don't let this happen to you

Most of us have done this: You see an ad for a part you could use. You contact the seller, who you don’t know. You agree upon a price. You agree on a form of payment. You send payment hoping for the best. Then it happens. You realize you’ve been screwed.

Well it happened to me. I saw an ad on Rennlist for an 89 930 engine $6500. Sounded a bit cheap so I contacted the seller to get some specifics. He answered all of my questions including giving me a serial # and some pics. He knew specific details about the 89 930. I felt good about the engine. After several phone calls back and forth, I agreed to give him $6500 for the engine. The guy, Trevor Keith Player (probably not his real name) of 44 SW Fourth Ave, Delray Beach, FL, insisted that I send Postal Money Orders. No problem. Made me feel a little better about sending that much money. Mail fraud is a felony. I decide since I am sending so much $$$ I will send it Certified Mail Restricted Delivery. The Postal Worker told me a positive form of ID must be produced to receive delivery. Still felt good about the deal. After sending the MO’s, I received a few more calls from Mr. Player. Seems as though he has had a few “setbacks” in his shop, shipment will be delayed for a few days. No problem, I don’t need the engine right away. A few more days go by, so I contact, Mr. Player. I get his voicemail. I leave a message asking for a status report on the engine. Later that evening he called me. He tells me it is almost ready to ship. This is when the bad feelings start. Now his phone calls are coming from a Boston number not a Delray Beach number. Sensing something may be amiss; I call him using the Boston number. Voicemail again. He calls me back from the same number. I questioned him about the Boston phone #. He says he is visiting family in Boston for the holidays. Believable. That was the last time I heard from him. Now the Police and the Postal Inspectors are involved. I know the chances of seeing the engine or my money are basically zero, but I figured I would endure a little embarrassment for being stupid and trusting people too much by sharing my story. Unfortunately, not everyone is honest. Criminals will commit crimes regardless of the potential for being caught. I guess I should have used Pay Pal or something. I only blame myself. Don’t let this happen to you.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:05 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine bought a wrecked, but complete 993 that he was planning on using on the track. Paid around $14k for it, which is not a bad deal, except the car shipped without an engine and tranny.

He's working with a lawyer to get legal action going. IIRC, the seller was from Florida.

It's too bad there are such scum that prey on people like this!
-Zoltan.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:35 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally posted by Z-man
A friend of mine bought a wrecked, but complete 993 that he was planning on using on the track. Paid around $14k for it, which is not a bad deal, except the car shipped without an engine and tranny.

He's working with a lawyer to get legal action going. IIRC, the seller was from Florida.

It's too bad there are such scum that prey on people like this!
-Zoltan.
amazing.............how? why?.......was anyone thinking?........
Old 01-14-2004, 08:38 AM
Drewster67
Nordschleife Master

I would contact John D. He may be able to assist in someway. Good Luck.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:04 AM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

John D. is working on it
Old 01-14-2004, 10:01 AM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Justin, at that price it probably isn’t worth it to go get it yourself so you got stuck in no mans land, big enough to hurt but not big enough to avoid.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:26 AM
James Achard
Pro

Justin, I'm really sorry to hear this. It's a good thing you paid with a Postal MO. They take this stuff VERY seriously. I live in the Boston area if you need any help in this shoot me a pm. I know some people who might be able to help track this guy down.

Cheers, James
Old 01-14-2004, 10:37 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

It is sad story, since most of us have been buying and selling parts to fellow Porschefiles with no problem. I hate to hear that there are those "types" in Florida.

Bottom line.... Peope like that make it harder for us honest people to complete an honest deal.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:50 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I hope you get your money or your engine back soon.

Can you hire an investigator or maybe just ask a rennlister to check out the address? See if it is a real shop.

Doesn't help this time but I would suggest using an escrow company for a transaction like this.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:34 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

I hope this gets resolved on the positive side for you.... I would highly recommend for big dollar items like these that unless you are dealing with an establisher Rennlist Member that one should ask for help from another Rennlister who lives in the seller's area to go check the item before one sends money.
I have gone to look with pleasure cars for Rennlisters who are looking in my area and I'm sure a lot of Rennlisters would be happy to do the same.

All the best of luck to you!
Old 01-14-2004, 01:23 PM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

Damn, Sorry to hear this. Thanks for the heads ups and hope you receive some satisfaction.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:37 PM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

I have a Detective on the Delray Beach PD working on it. I have talked to him several times today. I will keep everyone posted.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:46 PM
Chris Picklo
User

Justin-

I live in Tampa, FL and may go down that way soon - If you need ANY help, message me and let me know. This is a real shame - what exactly was at the address that you sent it to? A warehouse? Old shop?

Chris
Old 01-14-2004, 09:39 PM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

When I talked to the detective today, he said the address is on the same block as the Police Department building. He was going to check out the building today.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:49 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I live in Delray. If ther is anything I can do send me a message.

Quick Reply: Don't let this happen to you