TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

LOL ^^^
Old 07-22-2018, 07:55 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I've noted the absence of Niki Lauda in the Mercedes garage the past two races. I've google searched as to why, but found no news. Anyone know why he's not been in attendance?

The TV coverage via the ESPN app has been disgraceful. They don't stream the pre-race if you don't happen to catch it live.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:44 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
I've noted the absence of Niki Lauda in the Mercedes garage the past two races. I've google searched as to why, but found no news. Anyone know why he's not been in attendance?

The TV coverage via the ESPN app has been disgraceful. They don't stream the pre-race if you don't happen to catch it live.
Per Ted Kravitz he's "not well". I don't know what that means.

On an unrelated note, Hamilton's infraction was a pretty clear cut and dry case of breaking rules which resulted in no penalties. The verbiage crafted by the stewards is quite lackluster to be kind. Just like you had a lot of tifosi and Vettel fanbois indicating that the penalty in Baku last year was sufficient, you're going to get a ton of Anglo fans and Hamilton fans saying this was a great no-call. If you don't believe me, go check the comments in Racefans.net.

In both cases, the non-action is garbage but the general policy is somewhat consistent - if you're in the hunt for the championship, you will receive no penalties or watered-down penalties for your actions. I'm sure you can find cases like the Vettel penalty for blocking in qualifying as an exception, but this is the gist of the situation. It's unfortunate that they can't just impose the necessary penalties. I guess the show is more important because the racing is often so lackluster. Because this is the case, you have to have the championship fight itself to keep people interested.

Dear Lewis, this would therefore be an appropriate time to use your #blessed hashtag.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:40 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Let's be real. The application of the rules and appropriate penalties in F1 is and always has been a joke. Does anyone remember the $100 million fine McLaren got for 'spying' many years back?
Old 07-23-2018, 01:53 AM
Leica356
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's pretty obvious under the current formula that it's a sunday karting session for the top 6 starting last. But for Hamilton to come back while on his period is impressive.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:57 AM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting tactics... Push your car on a hot track, no penalty. Pioneer a new route out of pit row, no penalty.
I’m sure Hamilton is a great driver and I always gave his attitude the benefit of a doubt. But after the last two races the petulant child has proven to me he is a complete douche. And way to go Max fans! Cheer when someone crashes! Hurry back over to the tour now and get busy trying to push Froome off the bike again!
Old 07-23-2018, 03:41 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Let's be real. The application of the rules and appropriate penalties in F1 is and always has been a joke. Does anyone remember the $100 million fine McLaren got for 'spying' many years back?
Agree regarding the history of penalties, I can certainly think of a few that stand out as bogus. However, why does the spying scandal stand out to you? I'm assuming the amount is egregious? The nature of penalizing Mclaren seems reasonable.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:53 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe S.
Interesting tactics... Push your car on a hot track, no penalty. Pioneer a new route out of pit row, no penalty.
I’m sure Hamilton is a great driver and I always gave his attitude the benefit of a doubt. But after the last two races the petulant child has proven to me he is a complete douche. And way to go Max fans! Cheer when someone crashes! Hurry back over to the tour now and get busy trying to push Froome off the bike again!
That was straight-up BS when I saw that. Who cheers another driver crashing?

Engine trouble, going off line, spinning - maybe. But no one should ever cheer a crash.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:59 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa

Engine trouble, going off line, spinning - maybe. But no one should ever cheer a crash.
I'm not a fan of that either, though I think it was pretty clear that the crash was low speed and the chance that Seb was injured was close to zero.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:41 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa

Big time agreed.
It makes me think NASCAR is missing a huge market in the Netherlands.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:52 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I'm not a fan of that either, though I think it was pretty clear that the crash was low speed and the chance that Seb was injured was close to zero.

This right here. He nosed it in so slowly that the only thing that broke was the wing and the connectors on the signs that line the circuit, the sign however was just fine.

Cheering when your competitor has bad luck, that's part of sports. This is no different than cheering when Tom Brady throws an interception or Lebron has a turnover.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:53 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

From 14th to 1st place...I don't care what your attitude is, in the modern F1 era that is simply an astonishing and incredible feat! Pure driving genius!
Old 07-27-2018, 02:07 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
From 14th to 1st place...I don't care what your attitude is, in the modern F1 era that is simply an astonishing and incredible feat! Pure driving genius!
Not sure I'd go that far. Either Hamilton or Bottas should have eventually been able to get near the top six because their cars are faster than the other 14. Then the tire strategy and weather worked out for Hamilton, the safety car closed the gap further, and of course Vettel took himself out of contention.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:34 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Not sure I'd go that far. Either Hamilton or Bottas should have eventually been able to get near the top six because their cars are faster than the other 14. Then the tire strategy and weather worked out for Hamilton, the safety car closed the gap further, and of course Vettel took himself out of contention.
True however when you consider the quality of talent out there, Kimi, Riciardo, Max Verstappen, Alonso etc (Bottas has to follow team orders) to get from 14th to 1st has got to be acknowledged as a pretty special accomplishment! Weather or not plus it’s not like all the other teams don’t have equally good technical directors and crew on their teams to manage their race strategy

Quick Reply: German Grand Prix - Who Will Win?