Sponsored by:

944 Turbo / SP3 - Rules change - request for interested parties

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 11:51 PM
redmill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 Turbo / SP3 - Rules change - request for interested parties

Warning: I am not very knowledgeable on the technical aspects of this subject, therefore i will not be very specific in this post. I am looking to facilitate the process of presenting a formal 2019 rules proposal regarding 944 Turbo SP3 spec, this post is to identify interested parties.

Background: I have heard of several informal discussions on what could be done to improve the reliability of the 944Turbos with respect to boost and engine management. The conversations were between accomplished PCA racers as well as respected manufacturers, tuners and mechanics with a long history with the 944 platform and PCA racing
Walt Fricke from the PCA Club Racing technical committee and I chatted for bit with me on the topic on Friday. He acknowledged there were several prior conversations, but nothing solidified into a formal proposal.

Goal: Submit a rule change proposal that allows changes to the SP3 944 turbo parameters that improve reliability and affordability, reducing opportunity for cheating, maintain class parity, maintain the spirit of PCA racing and keeping vehicles within the technology of their era.

We would need to prepare and submit a rule in two weeks for inclusion into the 2019 rule review.
... So.... if you are interested, please contact me via -> c l e an up @ redmill.com ( no spaces) or the private message.

I can set up a conference calls, gather ideas, reshape into an agreed approach and get the data drafted into the format required for PCA rule review.

Thanks
Damon
SP3 #525

Old 07-16-2018, 02:08 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

So what is the proposal? They don't allow anything past" stock" for boost , and chips are free, wondering what could make these more reliable ?
Old 07-16-2018, 08:13 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
So what is the proposal? They don't allow anything past" stock" for boost , and chips are free, wondering what could make these more reliable ?
Get rid of the chips and go with a mechanical regulation system... i.e. when the manifold pressure gets too high, open the waste gate.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:44 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

That sounds good in theory, but then if the "chips" are gone how does it get the fuel enrichment based off of TP and Boost Levels? Personally I just built my car and am going to race stock F before SP3, But based off of what I see now and being around these cars for 20 years and speaking with very knowledgeable people in the industry,............ in the end... Everyone ditches their turbo for a 968 engine or if not governed by any racing rules they go LS.. When subjected to track day after track day the Heat from the turbo just breaks things down, All that x over pipe , and down pipe just make for a very HOT engine bay. I have all mine done with header wrap and most recently I melted my AOS which ended my day at the track in a cloud of smoke. This was due to a simple bolt backing off the downpipe. Dont get me wrong I love all my Turbos, but the controls wont make it any more reliable. If anything shed weight, the turbos are not really that close to any 968... and when I go SP3, Defintely putting on the smaller turbo an backdating to an 86, then going on a diet. I see way too many vids on youtube where sp2 cars smoke turbos in the corners, and with the added weight, they turbos cant really make that ground up. Sure there are a handful of guys that can make a turbo run but they all seem to come out of the same corral, and run really well, and that means $$$$$$.

Quick Reply: 944 Turbo / SP3 - Rules change - request for interested parties